footaurs for sling bullets

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 09:06

footaurs for sling bullets

or at least something like that. there is no guranteed source of sling bullets and you have to either be very lucky with the floor drops or go with oka/trog which is kinda boring.

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 09:40

Re: footaurs for sling bullets

Mine-o-taurs.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 10:26

In 0.14 fauns and satyrs in forest have them.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 10:37

stickyfingers wrote:In 0.14 fauns and satyrs in forest have them.
A random optional branch 2/3 through the game does not count as a guaranteed source.

Of course, there is no reason to have a guaranteed source. Needle and Bolt users also have major problems acquiring enough ammunition, and all users of ranged combat suffer from ammo shortages to some extent.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 10:51

reaver wrote:
stickyfingers wrote:In 0.14 fauns and satyrs in forest have them.
A random optional branch 2/3 through the game does not count as a guaranteed source.

Of course, there is no reason to have a guaranteed source. Needle and Bolt users also have major problems acquiring enough ammunition, and all users of ranged combat suffer from ammo shortages to some extent.

Bolt users only have problems to an extent; once yaktaurs start appearing you'll nearly always wind up with far more ammo than you'd need. However, outside of Shoals, anyone looking to use javelins is very much dependent upon luck.

Responding to whole thread: Availability is (for better or worse) an aspect of weapon differentiation. At the very least it adds another factor to weapon choice that needs to be weighed against others. It is not a design goal that all weapons be exactly equal, just that each weapon type is viable. I do think this is currently the case, overall.

But, if slings really are thought to be too strongly nerfed by lack of sling bullet availibility, then just directly addressing the problem by having sling bullets spawn more often and in greater numbers would probably be better than designing and implementing an entire set of enemies solely for the purpose of giving the player more drops of a specific kind.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
galehar

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 14:08

Add a Halfling Hunter with slings. :D
Throwing gets tomahawks in 0.14. I don't play trunk so idk how common they are, but yeah.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 24th December 2013, 21:01

Klown wrote:Add a Halfling Hunter with slings. :D
Throwing gets tomahawks in 0.14. I don't play trunk so idk how common they are, but yeah.

very
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
Klown

Return to Game Design Discussion