Contamination proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 19th December 2013, 20:00

Contamination proposal

What if contamination never dissipates with resting, just with exploring/XP gain?

1. It would reduce 5 mashing.
2. It would be a little and interesting nerf to Haste and Controlled blink.
3. It would be easier to create a deterministic contamination function, which would make it possible to warn when casting invisibility can make you glowing.

Maybe it's a stupid idea tough, just brainstorming here.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th December 2013, 21:25

Re: Contamination proposal

Well, it's not a bad idea, but currently contamination is more intended as a tactical limit than a strategic one, you shouldn't be able to invis or haste over and over in combat without ill effects, but you should be able to use either one at the beginning of *each* combat, at least as things stand. It currently works something like breath cooldown does, although less strict.

Currently the *strategic* limit is hunger, which is why you don't want to spam high level spells on each and every creature (Take that, rat and goblin! I firestorm you!)

There does need to be both a tactical and strategic limit placed on some abilities/spells/actions available from a game design perspective, and converting contamination from a tactical to a strategic limit would indeed eliminate some of it's annoying interface problems, but wouldn't eliminate the need for some sort of tactical limit.

What really should be done is make tactical limits less annoying, but I haven't stumbled across just the perfect thing yet, myself.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th December 2013, 22:16

sanka wrote:3. It would be easier to create a deterministic contamination function

It already is. You can't get yellow glow from a single cast of invisibility anymore.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Neon, sanka

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 20th December 2013, 11:27

This is good progress, thanks!

I still think a Y/N prompt (maybe only optional) for casting invisibility when you already has glow would be good. Sorry if it's already possible via init option.

I got -2 int mutation on my SpEn when I have failed to notice that miscasting confuse added some glow, and I used invisibility.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 21st December 2013, 05:07

I dunno. The game already has lots of "do you want to do this dumb thing?" warnings. It's almost self-playing at this point.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st December 2013, 15:19

Any warnings for stupid actions are ok IMHO, they allow to enjoy the game without carefully looking at keyboard to avoid occasion move into lava etc. Basically they don't bother any player who does not want to see them because such player merely does not see them ;)

Return to Game Design Discussion