Add MR to Potion of Resistance

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 15th December 2013, 01:27

Add MR to Potion of Resistance

Add a magic resistance to potion of resistance

Why? Mainly because MR is a very valuable commodity and a lack of can make the game a very dangerous. It only takes a single MR check to quickly put you in dire situation but what if a reasonable MR bonus came as a limited resource.

Adding an MR bonus to !resistance has a similar game play effect as the elemental components of the potion has; a temporary defensive buff, Most often used to fill a specific gap in your resistances, before engaging or fleeing a dangerous foe. Although it give 4 resistances, you'll rarely use more than one. An MR bonus would accomplish the same thing for a higher valued attribute (unlike elemental resistance, MR cant be replaced by AC, EV or HP).

This Also put a higher value on !resistance which makes for more meaningful choices.

I'm sure this has come up before, but I found nothing when I searched.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks: 7
Brannock, Deimos, Klown, Leafsnail, Sar, Tiber, Tiktacy

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 15th December 2013, 08:34

Re: Proposal: Add MR to Potion of Resistance

I agree. It would make Potion of Resistance more valuable and worth the inventory slot. I rarely use these because usually i'm able to find the elemental resistances in the game very easily.. but finding MR can be much more challenging.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 15th December 2013, 15:20

skyspire wrote:I agree. It would make Potion of Resistance more valuable and worth the inventory slot. I rarely use these because usually i'm able to find the elemental resistances in the game very easily.. but finding MR can be much more challenging.

Strange, I'm usually having the exact opposite problem.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 15th December 2013, 16:41

This sounds much better than the MR spell idea, since that was A) a boring yet optimal spell and B) something that would be just as hard if not harder to find as MR items, and harder to use. This slightly alleviates the problem of being unlucky with MR items, and is balanced by being a consumable.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 27th December 2013, 22:04

Re: Add MR to Potion of Resistance

After looking into making patches, I made a simple patch which gives the player +50 MR when under the resist status.

Should I submit it to mantis?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 27th December 2013, 22:35

I'd say submit it, you're much more likely to get feedback from a developer that way.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 28th December 2013, 08:00

Well if you went to the trouble of making the patch, you might as well submit it.

Return to Game Design Discussion