Yet another goddamn hex brainstorm.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 14:45

Yet another goddamn hex brainstorm.

Make hexes use the rules of magical contamination - say, to succesfully hex a monster you have to beat the hex counter by more than 5. Counter maxes at 10.
The % you see when targeting monsters (currently, the % shown to the player is the chance the monster will get hexed and increases with each hex attempt) is rolled 10 times behind the scenes. Each succesful roll adds ~1 to the counter (more at better spellpower, less at worse).
Each turn the monster loses some hexination, say 0.2. More HD and MR monsters lose more.
It makes hexes a little more reliable in my oppinion.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:31

Re: Yet another goddamn hex brainstorm.

That would make hexes more reliable early game but too strong later, i think.
You shall never see my color again.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:51

so we could consistently enslave titans and spriggans with this? awesome (this is ridiculous btw)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:48

i think hexes are fine and the only really broken one is hibernation, because of stabbing
maybe it could be gotten rid of and confuse/invisible stabbing could be improved, then just have that dazzle spell and you're good

i find spen to be REALLY fun, but sleepy-stabbing is sort of lame. also that level 1 spell that lights up an enemy is sort of silly. it should probably give a chance of getting a free stab

actually stabbing shouldn't even really be based on stealth... you're usually stabbing an enemy you put to sleep last turn that's adjacent to you, or stabbing them while invisible, so stealth shouldn't even matter really if you think about it. short blades should just have a chance of a lucky hit, with daggers having the best, and various status effects or whatever can effect the damage amount.

also enemies are way too good at predicting were you are when they can't see you. i guess this is to make invisibly less powerful but it's a bit unfair for lower level hexes. maybe the spell should get removed but the ring/cloak is kept (maybe made more common), or even the effect could be changed to a transmutation sort of like shadow form

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:57

snow wrote:also that level 1 spell that lights up an enemy is sort of silly

Corona is fine as is. More accuracy early when you have no skill is a big deal. AM and En should be using it whenever they can for a few levels.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:09

Stabbing damage didn't used to be based on stealth at all, there used to be a separate "stabbing" skill wich was replaced with the average of your stealth and weapon skill. Having a whole separate skill just for stab damage was widely considered to be bad or at least annoying.

"If you think about it" in the sense of "how it would work realistically" is a terrible metric for what makes a good game.

In this case you can think of "stealth" as "knowledge of how to sneak up on and around critters and strike them effectively while they are unaware" which as it happens is too long of a name for a skill so someone called that "stealth"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:13

snow wrote:i think hexes are fine and the only really broken one is hibernation, because of stabbing

You probrably think that because you play as a Spriggan, since you can just run or evade most of the time it fails, the spell is fine as it is.

snow wrote:actually stabbing shouldn't even really be based on stealth... you're usually stabbing an enemy you put to sleep last turn that's adjacent to you, or stabbing them while invisible, so stealth shouldn't even matter really if you think about it. short blades should just have a chance of a lucky hit, with daggers having the best, and various status effects or whatever can effect the damage amount.

Keep in mind, hexes are not all about stabbing.

snow wrote:also enemies are way too good at predicting were you are when they can't see you. i guess this is to make invisibly less powerful but it's a bit unfair for lower level hexes. maybe the spell should get removed but the ring/cloak is kept (maybe made more common), or even the effect could be changed to a transmutation sort of like shadow form

You cant spam invisibility unless you scum by stab running waiting for glow to end.
I think it is the evokable invis (except from wands) that should be removed. It scales well with evocation and it saves 6 spell levels by not having to learn the spell, thus making hexes less desirable in that matter.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:16

ackack wrote:
snow wrote:also that level 1 spell that lights up an enemy is sort of silly

Corona is fine as is. More accuracy early when you have no skill is a big deal. AM and En should be using it whenever they can for a few levels.

i've run a bot a bunch of times with en start... corona usually isn't worth it. can get like a 95%+ success rate on d1 by just tossing the darts and getting jackles 1 on 1. same success rate with or without the spell. it's supposed to make the enemy easier to hit or whatever but the spell can fail, and you're often just as well off tossing a dart.

the increased accuracy abilities are the most over-rated things in the game. i mean daggers already have super high accuracy as it is, but having a spell that might increase your chance of beating d1 by 1-3% or whatever the amount is really just a waste of a potential spell

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:50

dynast wrote:
snow wrote:i think hexes are fine and the only really broken one is hibernation, because of stabbing

You probrably think that because you play as a Spriggan, since you can just run or evade most of the time it fails, the spell is fine as it is.

snow wrote:actually stabbing shouldn't even really be based on stealth... you're usually stabbing an enemy you put to sleep last turn that's adjacent to you, or stabbing them while invisible, so stealth shouldn't even matter really if you think about it. short blades should just have a chance of a lucky hit, with daggers having the best, and various status effects or whatever can effect the damage amount.

Keep in mind, hexes are not all about stabbing.

snow wrote:also enemies are way too good at predicting were you are when they can't see you. i guess this is to make invisibly less powerful but it's a bit unfair for lower level hexes. maybe the spell should get removed but the ring/cloak is kept (maybe made more common), or even the effect could be changed to a transmutation sort of like shadow form

You cant spam invisibility unless you scum by stab running waiting for glow to end.
I think it is the evokable invis (except from wands) that should be removed. It scales well with evocation and it saves 6 spell levels by not having to learn the spell, thus making hexes less desirable in that matter.

i was mostly thinking of vpen, because you can with any background as an sp, but vps are sort of made for stabbing. you can still run as a bat though. even as a deep elf though you have confuse working pretty early to just confuse and run, you just have to watch your mp a bit more i guess, and maybe drag things up stairs more often. also you don't HAVE to stab 100% of enemies ever; things like potion of might and wands and such exist for when you hit 0 mp. also the sturdier species you can just swap to a short sword a lot of the time and you'll be fine, esp. if it has an ego.

yeah... not really seeing the 'you only think hexes are fine because you play a spriggan' argument.

and regardless of what enchanter i'm playing, i'm usually invisible most of the time yes. i do spam it, and even as a 'slow' species worst case scenario you end up flickering and teleport away. most of the time you can get a few tiles distance while it's wearing off, and that's all you need to go up stairs and prepare to recast. that's why i was saying that maybe the spell needs to be removed, but the ring/cloak are different because it's hard to just PLAN for you to find one and build around it; it's not as guaranteed as the spell is (esp. with a god like sif, which i think is a fine god for en but some disagree). so there's more interesting choices in the planning and strategy with the ring/cloak. the spell is all the easy without any work.

for a hex reform, the first thing i'd do is make confusion less boolean. like, you'd get variably confused depending on your MR, and the amount you are confused depends on the chance of if you get butterflies or not from your spells or stumble on your attacked. maybe have one butterfly instead of many, but the butterflies are cool and it's sad they're mostly done away with now. hexes are more instant-kill than support, and even if they instant-fail on you more often than not, when they work it just feels cheap. i'd like to see them less instant-kill and more support-ish, and variable confusion is the first step towards that. do you try to stack more confusions or go in for the kill? choices like that would make it feel less cheap.

stabbing in general seems like it would be ok too if it was broken off of stealth and just made into a sort of critical hit thing that happens when enemies are in some way disabled or can't see you. hybernation could just be replaced entirely with a level 2 slow, and being slowed increased the stab damage also. jumping a sleeping enemy could still do the big damage, but being able to do that big damage whenever you want takes away the excitement from it.

it would also be nice to have other viable stabbing weapons than just daggers. mace stabbing causing some confusion could be cool: not the big critical hits from daggers, but an alternate playstyle for ogre enchanters or whatever. right now it's enchanters/hexes = stabbing, and tossing a polymorph spell and some level 9 chaotic spell you'll never cast into the mix doesn't really change that.

hexes aren't too good or too bad, they're just sort of imbalanced and that level 2 sleep spell is way too good. i mean even if you're playing a troll or something with terrible magic skills you just tab the first levels while tossing around floor trash and then you have a level 2 spell that instant-kills those orc warriors that are giving you trouble. and if that doesn't work you confuse-tab it. so you have an entire spell school but you only use 3 spells because they instant-kill dudes and the others yeah they kill dudes too but you are already killing all the dudes so you don't need them.

also there should be a hex/necromancy that lowers your defenses but reflects a portion of the damage taken back to the attacker, and petrify should 'hit' much easier, but if they have lots of MR it just takes forever to kick in, but you still get stabbing chances from it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 19:01

I never mentioned hexes are fine but that all you arguments towards hexes are about stabbing instead, in fact, i raised up a few topics talking about how hexes could be improved.

The topic is more about hex spellpower/fail rate/MR checking so i have to ask you to stick to it before we get into a meta game talk.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 20:31

My problems with hexes is that even a guy who dumps exp in 27 hexes is going to have problems affecting fiends, chumps at zot5 etc. Right now, light armoured hybrids are going to benefit most from hexes. Take confusion for example - % chance is not great against high MR monsters, but if it works duration is so long it might as well last forever. My idea is to make hexes work for all, more or less, but casters who invested in hexes are going to get much longer durations than dabblers.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 00:30

My problems with hexes is that even a guy who dumps exp in 27 hexes is going to have problems affecting fiends, chumps at zot5 etc.

Some comments on this:

1) Enslavement exists, so anywhere where hexable monsters exist you can at least use your hexable monsters to fight the non-hexable ones for you. Dracs in zot have laughably bad MR when you adjust for when they appear, and they're pretty good vs monsters. If you actually have 27 hexes you can nab orb guardians too.

2) If you ignore specifically zot:5 (which you will have other ways to deal with) then the entire remainder of a 3-rune game is very vulnerable to hexes. Things in spider/swamp/shoals all have bad MR, all the vaults humans have bad MR (even wardens only have 60), and the monsters you run into in depths and zot 1-4 are quite hexable. There are also a decent number of quite hexable things in both hells and pan as well as abyss, though you don't get a free rune there like you kind of do elsewhere. Slime and tomb are admittedly pretty bad if you have literally no offense except hexes, though if you're also stabbing you can sometimes sneak up on TRJ and oneshot it (and likely can manage tomb as well; you don't have to kill things!).

3) Even if we assume that training a skill to 27 in the first place is a good use of xp, hexes doesn't look particularly bad to me. The returns after ~14 or so are still better than you get from at least staves, poison, usually invocations, shields, transmutations, and (for offensive purposes) stealth. (It's harder to judge stealth fairly here; 27 stealth is actually quite good, but you need other skills also. Kind of like hexes!)

Now, that's not to say that hexes are perfectly fine as-is and they don't need improvement. But I don't think adjusting the return on skill investment is necessary; spellpower is arguably even more important for hexes than it is for conjurations (I would argue it is).

Some problems with hexes (I do not necessarily have solutions for these):

1) The binary nature of using them. The big problem here is there's no such thing as a partial success; you can't "half-enslave" a monster, or "half-confuse" a monster (well I guess you could implement things like that but I don't see how that would work very well). Eliminating the binary-failure half of this is something I've seen some suggestions for (like failure increases the success rate of future attempts), but that's not actually the half that I personally think is problematic. Reducing duration of successful hexes does little here, unless you do things like go all the way down to 2-3 turns or so, which then causes other problems. (Why would you ever bother to confuse things? Even enslavement is questionable at that duration, though EH would still work fine.)

2) Enslavement exists as a hex spell. This is a pretty big problem because it's level 4 and it's literally better than an instant kill. It's also available in two starting books, so the problems it causes are very obvious (as opposed to things like old poly spell, which was problematic but that was masked by it not being common and not in starting books). Making the spell rarer doesn't really solve anything, so probably the spell needs to either be adjusted or (preferably) eliminated. (It's already a wand effect.) But having enslavement at level 4 causes problems for all single-target hexes (they need to either be low level or somehow be better, and the latter is pretty much impossible) and for multi-target hexes too, since enslavement effectively disables more than just the monster on which you use it.

---

I don't think the suggestion in the OP is useful, since you're actually suggesting to make hexes less useful on the monsters where you're complaining they're not useful now: consider a 20% hex success rate and apply that to the OP. There are currently in crawl quite a few situations where a 20% success rate on a hex is still worth using. That would turn into basically never if you make them more "reliable", since it goes down to near-0%.

---

not exactly related, but:
it would also be nice to have other viable stabbing weapons than just daggers.

How are you going to do this? You need to create effects better than an instant kill, because the investment needed to dagger-stab the vast majority of things to death if you can do any stabbing at all is very minimal. Why would I ever bother confusing something when my other option is to kill it in one attack? You could do some sort of enslavement-stab, maybe, but that's the only effect in crawl that would ever be worth sacrificing an instant-kill for.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, duvessa, kuniqs, Lasty, rockygargoyle

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 13th January 2015, 02:43

A slight annoyance I have with hexes is that they don't have any spell enhancers except wild magic and the archmagi robe.
And both of those options are far rare compared to say ring of fire, or ring of ice. Speaking of which why do fire and ice get ring enhancers?
The only god that really boost hexes is Dith except for that he breaks Enslave. I have no idea if this is a bug but when you enslave with dith your shadow will uncharm the monster (apparently casting enslave twice does this). I guess you could say Sif is sort of a hex god.

This is generally OK because almost all the species that are good at hexes are actually really really good at hexes (Vp, Sp, Felid) and you don't need much spell power early (lair).

A few people have been complaining on IRC about not having more magic gods (I don't really share this opinion) but a god that granted scroll vulnerability or magic school of your choice enhancer might make some happy.

The only hex spell I find annoying and useless is darkness and yet ironically it is supposed to be the late game hex. Constantly casting darkness is seriously annoying but is technically optimal if your that type of char that uses hexes.

Also I think hibernate is actually overrated and a weaker spell than confuse. Confuse requires one school, has more power, and works on almost everything. Generally if you can stab.. you can still stab and do serious damage to confused monsters.
Last edited by agentgt on Tuesday, 13th January 2015, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th January 2015, 02:46

hehehehe I see you have forgotten that always-forgotten hex enhancer!
  Code:
<Sequell> spear of the botono[2/2]: <valrus> hex enhancer? <valrus> wtf <minqmay> wait acts as a hex enhancer <minqmay> what the fuck

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:15

crate wrote:hehehehe I see you have forgotten that always-forgotten hex enhancer!
  Code:
<Sequell> spear of the botono[2/2]: <valrus> hex enhancer? <valrus> wtf <minqmay> wait acts as a hex enhancer <minqmay> what the fuck

Good luck finding it during a part of the game that it is actually relevant, or finding it at all.

Also, i dont think archmagi enhances hexes.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:18

dynast wrote:Also, i dont think archmagi enhances hexes.

Why wouldn't it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:19

Archmagi enhances hexes just fine.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:21

crate wrote:Archmagi enhances hexes just fine.

So theres a bug with the majin-bo staff i assume.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:28

Majin-bo works fine for me in wizmode on 0.16-a0-3250.
  Code:
You feel a surge of power!
The goblin is charmed.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
dynast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:32

crate wrote:Majin-bo works fine for me in wizmode on 0.16-a0-3250.
  Code:
You feel a surge of power!
The goblin is charmed.

It didnt on my last run though, the bonus spellpower was from its +5 int, my other not hexing spells were receiving an addiotional bonus and if not used with a amulet i had that algo gave +5int it wouldnt increase the spellpower of any of my hexes...

Maybe it was already fixed but just make sure its not the int bonus that is affecting your spells...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th January 2015, 18:38

The give-away that it's acting as an enhancer is the "You feel a surge of power!". No amount of int will cause that message to show up, only enhancers.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks:
dynast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th January 2015, 05:18

I hope someone can break this down to me: im my current game i had discord at 2 points from being at max spellpower then i got the wild magic mutation and it still at 2 points. Is that right? does it actually affect discord?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 18th January 2015, 05:35

dynast wrote:I hope someone can break this down to me: im my current game i had discord at 2 points from being at max spellpower then i got the wild magic mutation and it still at 2 points. Is that right? does it actually affect discord?

1. Yes it should
2. You were probably at spell power such that the bonus didn't give you another pip. C'est la vie.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
dynast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 18th January 2015, 06:56

The spellpower display is extremely non-linear, getting the last two pips requires a huge spellpower boost, sometimes bigger than an enhancer will give you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th January 2015, 10:56

dynast wrote:I hope someone can break this down to me: im my current game i had discord at 2 points from being at max spellpower then i got the wild magic mutation and it still at 2 points. Is that right? does it actually affect discord?

Code:
4.Got bars (#)? You have at least 0, 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200.

To have bars for spell power 100 you would need spell power 150-349 before step down.
To have bars for spell power 150 you would need spell power 350-749 before step down. 150 * 1.5 = 225, it's less than 350.

Edit. I've just realized that even 2 power enchanters don't add # sometimes: 150*1.5*1.5=337.5, that's still less than 350.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Game Design Discussion