swords

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 18:24

Re: swords

I proposed the thrust/charge mechanics months ago for the M&F as a smashing opportunity attack; the problem is the cardinality of the directions where this attack can be done. Also many monsters can be more dangerous and even give unfair deaths if symmetry is used.

>derailing on
The alternative to this issue, as usual, is to let LB as they are and differentiate M&F with a gimmick instead. I gave a proposal about being on the same spot and stacking damage points while doing hits, some sort of momentum gain. I don't remember exactly the critics and I haven't looked for them.

Rereading this thread I've found that some proposal for is to partially ignore AC. What if combining these two approaches? As long as you stay in the same place, the more you hit, the more the AC is ignored. This is particularly realistic because usually bludgeoning hits require to be in a static position and the more you hit, the more the armour is damaged.
>derailing off
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 18:29

Roderic wrote:partially ignore AC

Why not just boost damage? I can imagine how annoying this ac-ignoring mechanic would be when fighting ogre packs in heavy armor.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 16th January 2015, 18:31

kuniqs wrote:
Roderic wrote:partially ignore AC

Why not just boost damage? I can imagine how annoying this ac-ignoring mechanic would be when fighting ogre packs in heavy armor.

The boost damage was the first option. I have to look for the reasons against. There were for sure.

edit: indeed the discussion didn't go too far
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13305&p=185927&hilit=maces#p185927
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 07:30

How about this: long blades and maces get a chance to deal an auxillary attack, damage & success based on weapon skill, independent on weapon in question (no brands, enchantments etc.)
Long blades get an average attack, like ~6damage on 27 LB. This attack affects a random foe different that the one you attacked in this turn. If you're fighting only one foe, you don't deal this attack.
Maces get ~12damage attack that affects the guy you attacked in this turn.
I'm thinking also of upping axes's delay to 0.8
EDIT:
When you're wielding short blades, distracted foes count as confused for stabbing.
EDIT2:
Ditch weapon skills, make weapon delay experience level & stat dependent.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 14:48

kuniqs wrote:How about this: long blades and maces get a chance to deal an auxillary attack, damage & success based on weapon skill, independent on weapon in question (no brands, enchantments etc.)
Long blades get an average attack, like ~6damage on 27 LB. This attack affects a random foe different that the one you attacked in this turn. If you're fighting only one foe, you don't deal this attack.

The rest is full of ideas that don't affect positioning, but this is kind of okay. It's the same thing as cleaving, but it only damages two foes instead of eight.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 17th January 2015, 18:16

IMO "same thing as cleaving" doesn't sound like a good way to differentiate weapon classes.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 18th January 2015, 09:17

Since it was suggested on both LB and maces, it certainly wasn't meant to differentiate the two :P Also, 6 damage at 27 skill is very, very low. With a decent two hander towards the end of the game you'll be dealing 40-60 damage on max swings, depending on your build. 6 wouldn't compare.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion