Monstrous Demonspawn.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 01:59

Monstrous Demonspawn.

I would like to have the antennae mutation removed form the body muts a monstrous Ds can get. It's a good mutation and it's indeed useful, but it just seems out of place to me when every other body mut monstrous Ds get is focused on auxiliary attacks.
Something I've been wondering for a while too is why monstrous Ds can't get any scales when they already lose every slot for auxiliary armour eventually, they're still good of course, but it just seems weird seeing how the one kind of Ds that can't get other sources of AC is the only one AC mutations are denied to.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 02:18

Re: Monstrous Demonspawn.

Related, I would like talons to be removed from the Ds mutation list, because hooves are so dramatically better; ignoring AC is easily worth losing 20 stealth.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 02:30

Indeed, talons is just hooves but a lot worse and it feels cheap.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 08:12

I suggested this before. I think antennae doesn't fit very well into "monstrous" facet too. I also think it might be interesting to rebalance Monstrous to prohibit all armor entirely, but to compensate it with wings, tail, scales and teeth.

I also think, that talons could be buffed, but not in damage. For example - some minor speed boost at mutlvl 3.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 08:37

Hm.
Removing all body armour removes a lot of choice though, you just roll a 1/10 chance every Ds game to play some huge buffed Dr with a million aux attacks.
I wouldn't say that's outright bad though, something feels somewhat odd about the current monstrous Ds, probably something along the lines of muts developing at normal Ds rate without having the impact other non aux attack related muts have on normal Ds.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
nago

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 10:11

Well, that was a part of larger suggestion - to make mutations much more game-changing. It meant to be one of numerous ways Demonspawns could evolve. But I agree it'll not fit too good on current Demonspawn.

Return to Game Design Discussion