Singing Sword and Mace of Brilliance.

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 03:45

Singing Sword and Mace of Brilliance.

I'm not sure I follow the design on these unrands, they have a good amount of work put on them but they are items so weak they just about never see any use when they do happen to show up.

The Singing Sword has an atrocious weapon type that is just a bad scimitar. One solution could be changing it into a better weapon type, such as a dblade or a scimitar, but unrand long blades already have scimitars and dblades covered rather well, so what I would suggest would be to give it the speed ego and maybe make it +9. Without becoming hugely better it'd be quite good and it'd have more of a chance to be actually used by someone out of zigsprint than it does now.

The Mace of Brilliance I believe could be changed into a morningstar without further tweaks to become a very good weapon and it wouldn't mean much of a flavor loss. However I must say a dire flail with brilliance's effects would be a very interesting and powerful weapon.

For this message the author dck has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Klown

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 04:17

Re: Singing Sword and Mace of Brilliance.

Mace of Brilliance is sorta okay already imo, it just needs a bit of a push to be good.

As for making the Singing Sword a decent weapon, lol good luck with that dream. Here's what the devs think of it as of the last time it was changed:
I think it's still ridiculously overpowered in general

http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a= ... 2f96e63214

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 04:48

Does that "in general" mean against geckos or what.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 05:08

dck wrote:Does that "in general" mean against geckos or what.
He has also been quoted as saying Cheibriados is "one of strongest [sic] gods currently."

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 05:35

A lot of unrandarts aren't sexy.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 06:15

A +7 long sword that also does good damage to everything in LOS for free is pretty good. I got a hydra to half health just by walking away from it. It's a great weapon for the first half of the game when used as a swap for harder fights.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 06:25

But it could be a weapon to actually use to fight instead of something to get free damage off then swap from whenever you actually want to start hitting things that matter.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 06:31

A +7 long sword is very likely to be something I'd use to hit things that matter. I meant used as a swap because of noisy.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 06:42

I suppose just about any enchanted, branded scimitar or any great sword being better is perfectly fine and not worth being brought up for discussion then. Nevermind it being one of the three unrand weapons left that don't even attempt to compete past orc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 07:54

Wahaha wrote:A +7 long sword is very likely to be something I'd use to hit things that matter.
an unbranded +7 long sword that you can't rebrand that also makes a ton of noise is not a great weapon imo

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
battaile, Bloax

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 12:25

What if the Singing Sword dealt sonic damage against anyone you hit it with, in addition to the AoE sonic damage during high tension?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 14:35

I agree with the complaints about the Singing Sword. Mace of Brilliance is fine as is: it's simply not meant to be used to hit things. If it was upgraded to a morning star, that would be nice gravy, but upgrading it to a dire flail would remove its best purpose: to be wielded with a buckler of protection or shield of resistance to stack large defensive bonuses on conjurer-types.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 10:36

I think weve talked about this somewhere in the forum and I think singing sword would be useful if it gave random buffs since some charms are called war chants

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 11:07

headcrab0803 wrote:I think weve talked about this somewhere in the forum and I think singing sword would be useful if it gave random buffs since some charms are called war chants

I think it would be better if some monsters reacted to its songs differently such as being charmed, confused, frightened(when it's a screaming sword), neutralized, frenzied and maybe other things. I would rather this effect, even if it meant the acc/dam rating would decrease to balance, since it a plays on the singing part of singing sword.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 12:40

Really Singing Sword should just not be noisy since noisy on weapons is bad (you can swap away to walk around). Make the sonic screaming be loud if you want (since then you can't just swap away and keep the effect), keep the flavour text if you want, just make it not loud while you're walking around with no enemies in sight.

I probably would have used Singing Sword in a few games where I found it early ... except it has Noisy and I don't want to deal with that.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rebthor

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 14th December 2013, 22:54

I think noisy weapons should make extra noise on hitting things instead of being a passive effect. Applies to the singing sword and other artifacts with that property.

Although I'd also prefer if the screaming triggered during melee instead of just when carrying it, I don't like it when weapons have sporadic passive effects like that.

When it comes to weapon effects, on hit is good, on (un)equip is good, and constant passive effects (like resists) are good. But if it's something that triggers randomly, it shouldn't be on a weapon that can be swapped easily.

For this message the author evilmike has received thanks:
Firion

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 15th December 2013, 00:53

Trigger screaming mode randomly after a successful hit; turn off screaming mode after some time or chance to renew on subsequent hits.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Game Design Discussion