Stop Casting ability for Ray status

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 19:44

Stop Casting ability for Ray status

As it stands, there is no way to stop casting Searing Ray and wait in place. (See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10111&p=139645) While that's not a common scenario, it is something that you would potentially want to do. I propose an instant cast ability called Stop Casting (or similar) that removes the Ray status effect. Of course, taking any action would automatically Stop Casting as it does currently. (I imagine this would also be important for any future channeled spells as well.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 8th December 2013, 22:32

Re: Stop Casting ability for Ray status

e: Sorry, apparently my solution to this pointless request doesn't work and struck quite a nerve with the op.
kekekela is my in-game name

For this message the author battaile has received thanks:
XuaXua

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 01:07

Instead of waiting, you could ctrl-attack in a direction. Burns one turn, doesn't move you, and should stop Searing Ray. I don't think that it's worth adding an extra ability for such a niche case.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 04:41

WalkerBoh wrote:Instead of waiting, you could ctrl-attack in a direction. Burns one turn, doesn't move you, and should stop Searing Ray. I don't think that it's worth adding an extra ability for such a niche case.

There could still be weird cases where this option doesn't work (you're surrounded by friendlies on 7 sides and case Searing Ray through the opening, then another one moves into the opening so you're now completely surrounded by friendlies and don't want to move), but it does handle the vast majority of cases.

A stop casting ability doesn't seem like a complete waste, though, especially if we get more channeled abilities in the future. It's very rare that you want to interrupt a Searing Ray without performing another action instead, but that doesn't mean that will always be the case.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 06:07

Then you drop something.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 06:47

dck wrote:Then you drop something.

What if you're flying over lava?

The POINT is that, instead of coming up with increasingly contrived ways of canceling Searing Ray, there should just be a Stop Casting ability.

Cue someone else coming to chime in "Why not just wield or eat something?" because they cannot read.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 07:13

No offense, but it seems like you are the only person who cares about this in this forum.

I believe you mentioned you are a programmer so why don't you just make a patch and post it to mantis?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 07:24

Or, if you can't be bothered, feel free to heed NOPE's advice in the other thread and post it to mantis.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 08:15

Mantis is for bug report and submitting patches, not feature request. Anyway, there have been other complains about the searing ray interface. Resting to keep casting it is unintuitive and being unable to reaim it is also not very good. That's why I suggested in an earlier thread that after casting it, you're put back into targeting mode with a restricted angle. To stop casting, just cancel targeting. This would also address the OP's much more elegantly.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
darkfeline

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:17

galehar wrote:Mantis is for bug report and submitting patches, not feature request. Anyway, there have been other complains about the searing ray interface. Resting to keep casting it is unintuitive and being unable to reaim it is also not very good. That's why I suggested in an earlier thread that after casting it, you're put back into targeting mode with a restricted angle. To stop casting, just cancel targeting. This would also address the OP's much more elegantly.

Thanks for the info. Could you link that thread here, as well as lock(?) this thread and the other one (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10111) since I think we reached the limit of any productive discussion on the subject.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 10:11

Here is the other thread. I'm locking this one.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion