Proposal: Okawaru does not gift branded arrows/bolts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 11:14

Proposal: Okawaru does not gift branded arrows/bolts

What i find annoying about Okawaru is that he loves to give branded arrows and bolts, but never gifts plain arrows or plain bolts.

The reason branded arrows/bolts are bad is:

1) they take up inventory slots
2) can be redundant if you already have a branded bow/longbow/crossbow
3) changing the quiver takes time (both game time and player time), making playing ranged character more boring then it should be.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 11:29

Re: Proposal: Okawaru does not gift branded arrows/bolts

skyspire wrote:2) can be redundant if you already have a branded bow/longbow/crossbow
3) changing the quiver takes time (both game time and player time), making playing ranged character more boring then it should be.

2) Isn't brand effects stack? I died plenty of times to flaming poison arrows.
3) IIRC it doesn't take any game time to change quiver. There's no actual quiver to begin with. It's just quick selected missile. You can 'F'ire anything you want no matter what you have quivered.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 11:42

epsilon wrote:2) Isn't brand effects stack? I died plenty of times to flaming poison arrows.

Nessos' flaming poison arrows are the only example of this in the game, and won't work for the player even if you pick up his bow and arrows.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 11:43

epsilon wrote:2) Isn't brand effects stack? I died plenty of times to flaming poison arrows.

I think brand effects stacking is planned for the Eventual Ranged Weapons Overhaul, which may or may not take place before the heat death of the universe, but currently they don't stack. Nessos has flaming poison arrows but they're special-cased.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 13:35

Brands stack only if the launcher's brand is vorpal.
And that's enough to play play Okawary for his ammo gifts and go for a natural +20% damage :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 14:25

I thought stacking was added in .13.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 14:26

Nope.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:09

Branded arrows/bolts are much better than non-branded ones since they stack with vorpal/speed launchers, and they're also better if you don't have a branded launcher at all. You are proposing a major nerf to ammo gifts, and I'm not sure it's warranted.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:27

duvessa wrote:Branded arrows/bolts are much better than non-branded ones since they stack with vorpal/speed launchers, and they're also better if you don't have a branded launcher at all. You are proposing a major nerf to ammo gifts, and I'm not sure it's warranted.

I haven't played a hunter in a long time, but don't they also stack with penetration? What about elec?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 18:47

No and no.
And yeah while ranged combat is ridiculous this is a pretty strange way to nerf it and I don't even think it'd achieve anything.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 22:58

well, I figured if okawaru wasn't giving me branded missiles all the time, he would be more likely to give me some randart armour or weapon.

But that is just a guess. I just figured if there were less missile types in its gift list, higher chance to get randart armour. Not sure if that is how it works in the code, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th December 2013, 23:45

Then your motive is not only ulterior but also wrong. He would just give you more unbranded missiles instead.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rebthor

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:05

yeah well only partly ulterior, because i do find it annoying to have 6 arrows of frost/ 12 arrows of fire / 10 arrows of x, etc.. arrows can take up 5-6 inventory slots, so i end up not using the branded god gifts in favor of certain evokables/potions/scrolls and situational rings. If we had more inventory slots, it wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know why there is an inventory limit on quantity of items.. I can understand weight, but I like to be a pack rat at times.
Last edited by skyspire on Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:07

Removing them from the god gift list wouldn't really change that part of it:

Code:
Missiles
 c - 19 bolts
 d - 46 bolts of frost (quivered)
 e - 41 bolts of flame
 w - 13 silver bolts
 A - 19 curare-tipped needles
 Q - 40 bolts of penetration

That's on a Fedhas HuVM

The 52 item limit exists because there are 26 letters in the alphabet and all of them can be capitalised.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:20

Any specific reason why Trog and Oka give ammunition as god gifts in the first place? Wouldn't it be more interesting if the ammo drops in the dungeon would be adjusted instead so that no god gives ammunition anymore? I think it's boring that I basically have to pick Oka in order to play a ranged character to its full potential.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 09:28

be awesome to also include ctrl-a-z for an additional 26 inventory slots :-P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th December 2013, 22:58

Mulzaro wrote:Any specific reason why Trog and Oka give ammunition as god gifts in the first place? Wouldn't it be more interesting if the ammo drops in the dungeon would be adjusted instead so that no god gives ammunition anymore?
I would prefer to remove ammo altogether in that case.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 11th December 2013, 09:00

i agree.. I would like to see more ammo on the floor of the dungeon, and Okawaru and Trog NOT gift ammo.

Except maybe javelins (since they are more rare) .. but then again, if we had more javelins around the dungeon, then they don't need to be god-gifted either.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th December 2013, 09:15

Mulzaro wrote:I think it's boring that I basically have to pick Oka in order to play a ranged character to its full potential.

Arrows/bolts are practically infinite after Lair or so (and arrows are common before Lair).

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th December 2013, 11:14

Yeah, longbow and xbow users generally don't need to worship an ammo-gifting god, since there are more than enough enemy centaurs and yaktaurs for resupply.

Javelins are plentiful too if you happen to have Shoals in your game.

Sling users and needlers kind of get the short end though. Without Trog or Oka you're likely to run out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th December 2013, 17:11

Unless you happen to get the forest branch, there's plenty of sling ammo there.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 20:35

I honestly feel branded ammo should be removed. Branded launchers are good enough.

Actually all ammo should be removed... meleeing rats to save ammo isn't fun or interesting at all.

Honest question: why does ammo exist? Is weapon swapping for popcorn intentional? Why? What does mindlessly swapping your weapon based on the color of a monster's name and nothing else really add to the game other than tedium?

Return to Game Design Discussion