New God: God of magic items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 7th December 2013, 11:02

New God: God of magic items

God on evocations

I've been playing with this one for a while - evocation based god, that gives abilieties to manipulate magic charges in items.Note that I used several ideas that popped here on Tavern in different threads for evocable based gods when it fitted my
theme, so this is a collateral work ;)
. The abilities will be tricky to balance, the formulas I gave are only for the basic idea an will need to be modified. But I think it will be possible to do.

;)
Name: Dorille (feel free to change, its the first one fantasy names generator spitted out ;)

Appreciates/Depreciates: Unlike other deities, Dorille does not make difference between good a bad actions. Sorrielle is everywhere present in the dungeon and you can magnify her presence in you by consuming charges. She will turns nasty only if you abandon her.
Piety: Piety is gain by consuming magic from item. It acts more different mana pool, but I think that current piety mechanics can be used for this.
Joining: Joining Dorille wil require you to consume 25 charges (having cca two wands) of items by praying on altar. See consume ability.

Abilities:
-unlike other gods, once you join her, you immedieately have access to all abilities, but you might not have enough piety to use them.
-you are not allowed to use your abilites, should it decrease piety below 1
-to every ability, there will of course be impact of evocation/invocation level
-stronger wands are heal wounds, hasting, teleport, invi, fireball, lightning, draining, fire and cold. Weak wands are the others.
-examples here are given on mainly on wands, but thematically it should work on most evocable items (box of beast, sack of spiders) but rules to consume/infuse/multizap/overcharge would have to be implemented per every item, which would be lot of work. (
-probably should not affect cards, as this is Nemelex playground

-Consume magic: Consumes charges from item. Using on an evocable item, that has charges that do not self-replenish (not only wands) gets
0.8 * number_of_charges * wand_power piety, where wand_power is 2 for strong wands and 1 for weak wands. When used on a rod, it will permanently
lower the enchantment level (reverse effect of scroll of recharging) to gain 12-16 piety. Can be used on other evocable item, that has charges,
but rules have to be deficed per item.
-Infuse magic: Put magic power back to item. Restores charges for wands, enchants rods, etc. The balance idea is that you will loose cca 20% of power
when you consume and immediale infuse magic into item.
Detect evokables: Passive ability, chance rises with amount of consumed magic. It has chance to detect evocable charge items in dungeon (detect items) and see monster carrying them (I would like to give them icon in tiles - same you have icon for summoned, confused, ... monster, you will have one for carry magic items. You can than inspect monster to see what it carries and how many charges are left.
-Multizap: Can be toggled on/off for no piety cost. When on, every time you use evocable item, there will be chance that you will multiply the effect several times. You cannot control how many times you multiply, but it will scale on stored piety charges, for example, using wand of fire and having 20% max piety gives 20% chance to fire the wand two times. Having 90% of max piety gives 90% chance to fire two times, 50% change to fire three times and 10% chance to fire four times. Maybe even more zaps if used on weak wands to encourage their usage. Every succesfull multizap will cost you 1 + 1.5 * mutlizap_count piety where mutlizap_count is how many times you mutlizaped, rounded down. For example, if you succesfully multizap wand of fire 4 times, it will cost you 6 piety (plus one charge from wand itself for normal zap)
-Overcharge: Attemps to store more power to the item that it can hold, causing it violently release all the magic in time. For example, if you overcharge wand of fire, it will do 3-5 effect every turn for 4-5 turns where effect is, in order of chance: bolt of fire, sticky flame bolt, fire ball, conjure fire, 3d20 explosion. You have no control about the effect. Of course, overchared item will be desroyed. This is basically a pocket nuke. Piety cost if dependent on hom much charges are missing to item limit- it will cost significantly more, if the item is empty. Iffy to balance, but I would like to see even occassional firestorm, if used on rod of fire or some really powerfull artefact (sceptre of Asmodeus) - Overcharged spectre could even realease neutral fire summons attacking everything, similar to Lugonu corruption. You can overcharge wand that is on ground or
carried by monster (if you detected it first)
-Suppress magic: Smite targetted cloud that will suppress magic to all items inside it. Same effect as moth of suppresion, except its local (firestorm size cloud) and dissapear after a while. I am not sure how suppression is implemented, but to be balanced, it must not suppress natural resistances (e.g. rFFF of orb of fire), only items, rings, usage of wands, etc. Supression is really cool mechanic and its pitty its used only on one, fairly rare monster. Piety cost is fixed amount (say 3-5) + 1 per every suppressed item under cloud.

Wrath:
Wrath will occur only if you use evocable item. Every time you evoke, there is a change for Dorille to act. If so, propability of her acting again is significantly reduces (but not to zero), slowly raising with time. Unlike other gods, Dorille's wrath cannot be waited out. You will have to face that every time you evoke, she might turn in against you. Wrath will dissapear after she acted enought times. Action are:
- sucessfull evocation will be replaced by random uselessness scroll effect
- suceesfull evocation will occure, followed by 2-4 mutizap in random uselessness scroll effect (powered by wand charges)
- sucessfull evocation will occure, followed by overcharge (weaker the in ability -single level 3 miscast effect of approprieate magic school) and destroying item
- casts supression cloud on your location (chance rises with tension)
4 wins so far: MiBe (4), DrMo(15), HoFi(15), DsDK(6)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th December 2013, 21:12

Re: New God: God of magic items

what's with all the Gods Of Wands proposed here lately

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 7th December 2013, 21:28

Well, this one seems to be more interesting, than other semi-Nemelexes. Very interesting idea IMO.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 7th December 2013, 21:31

nicolae wrote:what's with all the Gods Of Wands proposed here lately

The internet is full of offers for wand enhancement.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
crate

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th December 2013, 21:40

epsilon wrote:Well, this one seems to be more interesting, than other semi-Nemelexes. Very interesting idea IMO.

At least it does have a power that's not wand related, "Suppress Magic", although suppression and the moths thereof no longer exist in trunk (and it was more useful against the player than against monsters, I suspect).

Maybe there's a slightly more interesting theme in there somewhere. A god who has some other non-wand-related theme, perhaps draining magic from items and spellcasters, and who uses wands for storage of stolen/confiscated magical essence. Or perhaps not.

Return to Game Design Discussion