Guardian serpent blink allies encircling ability

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 19:31

Guardian serpent blink allies encircling ability

Ugh, I just experienced the guardian serpent's newfound ability to recall allies. Now, I'd be fine with change in itself, but with the rune lock in place I really don't think making Snake:5 even harder is warranted.
Btw, since I wasn't paying close attention to messages when it happened, does it work like the ironbrand convoker's recall (i.e. is it delayed)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 20:49

Re: Rune lock

It is in fact an exact copy of convokers' recall. Because Crawl monsters are only allowed to be unique for two stable versions at most.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 19:12

I don't like the new guardian serpent ability. They will blink greater naga and warriors next to you, and blinked creatures can constrict before you get a chance to react. The only safe and reasonable strategy now is to dig a tunnel system to leave one open tile and fight mobs one at a time. Kind of boring.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 20:36

asdu wrote:Ugh, I just experienced the guardian serpent's newfound ability to recall allies.

Yeah, that was unexpectedly not fun in the middle of Lair when one was guarding the entrance to Snake.

Lighting the galehar SIGNAL to split this Guardian Serpent thread from Rune Lock.
Last edited by XuaXua on Sunday, 1st December 2013, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 20:44

How many nagas are gated in by serpents? If we restrict to two, then it's less evil than in Vaults (and also different from that place), and even corridors won't help to prevent constriction (assuming the nagas arrive on both ends).

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 21:49

dpeg wrote:How many nagas are gated in by serpents? If we restrict to two, then it's less evil than in Vaults (and also different from that place), and even corridors won't help to prevent constriction (assuming the nagas arrive on both ends).

Lots, restricting it to two would be great.
kekekela is my in-game name

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 22:01

Re: Guardian serpent blink allies encircling ability

it's also pretty silly in sprint, bringing orbs of fire into "Snake".
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 01:43

dpeg wrote:How many nagas are gated in by serpents? If we restrict to two, then it's less evil than in Vaults (and also different from that place), and even corridors won't help to prevent constriction (assuming the nagas arrive on both ends).

Two seems reasonable. I was able to get the rune in the end so it is not impossible. But agree with asdu that it is especially hard because of the rune lock. Especially for a caster.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 02:39

Re: Guardian serpent blink allies encircling ability

rchandra wrote:it's also pretty silly in sprint, bringing orbs of fire into "Snake".

I wonder if it can be restricted to a range, for HD, monster type/category, and/or for distance.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 06:13

duvessa wrote:It is in fact an exact copy of convokers' recall. Because Crawl monsters are only allowed to be unique for two stable versions at most.

I've removed Word of Recall from Guardian Serpents. They now receive a band, like other professional Nagas.
Please tone down the snark.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 2
Hirsch I, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 06:38

brendan wrote:
duvessa wrote:...

Please tone down the snark.

Nominating the above post for "Best of" for reasons of hilarity.

Return to Game Design Discussion