Dragon form should not have trample

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 16:41

Dragon form should not have trample

Yesterday I was playing mutarobin and attacked a curse toe while in dragon form. This caused me to trample directly into a cloud of miasma, losing max HP.

In general, player trample is a disadvantage. When you're fighting a monster you're usually on the same side of them as your escape route, so attacking is moving you further away and putting you in more danger. I suppose trample could be useful if you are surrounded, but dragon form's defenses are so horrible that if you're surrounded you're probably going to die anyway.

Thus I think trample should be removed from dragon form. The spell isn't really that powerful so it doesn't need such an awkward and annoying drawback. Several monster dragons don't trample anyway.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
dck

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 18:08

Re: Dragon form should not have trample

CTRL+direction for no-trample attack?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 18:36

So I would have to ctrl attack every time (aka often as minmay said) I don't want to trample? Please no.
Rather, move trample attack to 'a' bility menu, so in the rare cases one want to trample something, he still can (and more tactically)
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 21:20

The thing is I've played several characters with dragon form and I cannot recall a single occasion on which I've actually wanted to trample something. I don't see any point in having it available at all.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 21:28

I don't see very many situations in which trample would even be all that useful unless it'd be possible to trample enemies into deep water/lava (said enemies would, of course, not be able to survive in the liquids). And judging by the bots entry (it's been a while since I've used DF), trample cannot do those things.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th November 2013, 21:31

I once died with a dragonformer Ogre in Hells. I trampled over lava when the form was expired. I got no warning...

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 16:18

I use DF relatively often and it's always pissed me off how it sometimes just decides to make you change positioning while attacking.
I'm not sure either about how worth keeping trampling would be even as an ability.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 29th November 2013, 18:12

Trampling was fun and quite useful when playing a Chei-follower in Dragon Form, especially since it let me move around at normal speed while hitting things.

But that's an edge case.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 02:18

I would love if it was removed from the auto-attack and moved to the ability menu even with a very short cooldown.

I seem to remember another similar thread in this forum about this subject last year but i can't seem to find it :( I think it had some good stuff... maybe...

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 30th November 2013, 03:57

I havent experienced this personally but it strikes me as something that should clearly be activate-able or removed, one should never be forced to lunge through enemies without intending to. Tactically thats just absurd.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st December 2013, 07:26

Done.

For this message the author brendan has received thanks: 4
dck, duvessa, Hirsch I, Sar

Return to Game Design Discussion