Elemental Magic Schools Differentiation

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st July 2012, 04:40

Re: Elemental Magic Schools Differentiation

Patashu wrote:Why not make it so Puff pushes the monster back, but also gives them Fly for a few turns (somewhat ala tornado)? That way it has the knock back effect, can't trivially instakill things but the potential is there if you're determined.

puff > airstrike airstrike airstrike, and already you've done more damage than 4 'regular' airstrikes for less mp

Sounds abusable to me, for a low-level spell.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 13:49

cerebovssquire wrote:
Patashu wrote:Why not make it so Puff pushes the monster back, but also gives them Fly for a few turns (somewhat ala tornado)? That way it has the knock back effect, can't trivially instakill things but the potential is there if you're determined.

puff > airstrike airstrike airstrike, and already you've done more damage than 4 'regular' airstrikes for less mp

Sounds abusable to me, for a low-level spell.

Airstrike's main advantage is that it's smite targetted and always hits, whereas puff I imagine to be LOF targetted and be able to miss, so it seems useful but not incredibly useful (since you can't employ it in situations of airstrike's greatest advantage)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd July 2012, 15:25

You do realize that Airstrike gets a damage bonus against flying monsters? That's where the abuse comes in.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion