ITT: we post species organizations and argue about them

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 05:56

Re: ITT: we post species organizations and argue about them

The newbie character has typically always been the Human for introductions. First time choice of race is best influenced when there is a class or style of play associated with the race, because people have preferences. Other then that, dev recommendations that you see in the help section like MiBe have the most influence.

If the goal is to make it more newbie friendly, you just need to to add some selections at the top, that I thought was already covered in another option at the start screen.

Alphabetical order makes it easier to read the selections. More important for first time orientation. If you want to avoid this, then you would want a tier list with numbered rankings as a reason for it not being in alphabetical order.

If you really want to make to tier races to perceived difficulty playing, then I'd suggest an ambitious over haul of all races to make them very unique from each other, typically with things most or none of the other races would or will have during the course of the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 06:05

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Siegurt wrote:2. It took me roughly 4 seconds to find all 3 races with both lists

I think that's because you were looking for all 3 simultaneously i.e. you have read every list just once. I am sure it is not typical to spend just 1.(3) seconds to find a specific item in 26 items.

It's true, looking for one item in a list of 26 items takes more than 1/3 of the time than it takes to look for 3 items in the same list. However the point was that it takes me the same time to find items in either list.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 18:09

to make crawl really noob friendly devs need to introduce unlocks, trophies, animations, and sond efeacts

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 18:18

Siegurt wrote:It's true, looking for one item in a list of 26 items takes more than 1/3 of the time than it takes to look for 3 items in the same list. However the point was that it takes me the same time to find items in either list.

I am sure it was caused by looking for 3 items where sequential scan was close to optimal. Try looking for a single item, it can trigger binary search. I mean if I am looking for Troll, I know it will be more likely to appear in second half because T is closer to Z than to A.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 5th March 2017, 23:47

yesno wrote:to make crawl really noob friendly devs need to introduce unlocks, trophies, animations, and sond efeacts
I would love each of these except the first

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
dracos369

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th March 2017, 18:06

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Siegurt wrote:It's true, looking for one item in a list of 26 items takes more than 1/3 of the time than it takes to look for 3 items in the same list. However the point was that it takes me the same time to find items in either list.

I am sure it was caused by looking for 3 items where sequential scan was close to optimal. Try looking for a single item, it can trigger binary search. I mean if I am looking for Troll, I know it will be more likely to appear in second half because T is closer to Z than to A.

I would assume that after a small amount of use, "is intermediate" would become as i instinctive as "closer to z" thereby obviating any advantage from alphabetizing
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th March 2017, 18:40

Siegurt wrote:I would assume that after a small amount of use, "is intermediate" would become as i instinctive as "closer to z" thereby obviating any advantage from alphabetizing

I am not sure what you mean here. I have played several hundreds games and I still have no idea where Troll is in that default list.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 6th March 2017, 19:53

Since gameplay trumps flavour, species should be renamed alphabetically according to newbie friendliness, from Averagekins to ZillyKitties.
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion