proposal: replace labyrinth with hungry portal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 15:48

Re: proposal: replace labyrinth with hungry portal

This is strangely a stressful activity for me. I got wound up and I apologize. Dpeg is probably right...I feel I'm not cut out for this anymore. As they say: if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

For this message the author some12fat2move has received thanks:
lordhamshire

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 17:07

I just wanted add my support for dpeg's suggestion of ensuring the minotaur vault doesn't touch the border of the map. It seems to take 2-4x longer to solve these labyrinths.

For this message the author pivotal has received thanks:
rebthor

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 17:41

Regarding ensuring that the center vault is not attached to an outside wall, that would be a fantastic change!

Has any consideration been given to possibly making the mazes smaller? This might be a step in the right direction. It would let the mazeophiles keep enjoying their mini-game, and let folks like OP and crate (and myself) get their loot and move on just a little bit faster.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
rebthor

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 18:17

Grimm wrote:"Dumb" is an emotional appeal that leads nowhere.

Okee, I get'cha. But I cast my vote for the removal of labyrinth.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 19:47

I very much enjoy labs as a mini-game. Not everything needs to be pared down with the Scalpel of Reductionism.

I'd be all for adding vaults and such to improve the experience for people who don't enjoy mazes. Though I think at best it's a losing battle there, since it's still going to be a maze and some people are still going to (vehemently) dislike mazes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 15th March 2013, 20:00

Moose wrote:and let folks like OP and crate (and myself) get their loot and move on just a little bit faster.

well I think labs have too much loot for their danger level too (but then several other portal vaults have this problem also)

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
lordhamshire

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 18th March 2013, 08:38

if you really dislike labyrinths anyway there's always the possibility to use a dig wand. once you figure out how the place works the wand can cut the time needed to clear it a lot.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 19th March 2013, 15:14

rebthor wrote:I just hate how every character is forced into a Labyrinth and can't win without the special winning thingie you get there.

Oh, right. It's optional. And honestly once you've done a few of them, they're pretty trivial too. I don't think I've ever died of starvation in a Lab. I have died to the minotaur at the end though.

To be fair just because somethings optional doesn't mean it should remain if it sucks. That said, I never had much issue with Labyrinth (aside from the occasional dickish generation), don't remember ever starving in one, and it's a welcome break from the main game. Also talk of it just being an exchange of food for loot is overly reductionistic, there is some skill to finding your way through the maze relatively quickly (along with some luck, sure) that alters the cost for players who are good at it versus those that arn't and therefore the decision to enter or not.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 14:54

EvilAshe wrote:
rebthor wrote:I just hate how every character is forced into a Labyrinth and can't win without the special winning thingie you get there.

Oh, right. It's optional. And honestly once you've done a few of them, they're pretty trivial too. I don't think I've ever died of starvation in a Lab. I have died to the minotaur at the end though.

To be fair just because somethings optional doesn't mean it should remain if it sucks. That said, I never had much issue with Labyrinth (aside from the occasional dickish generation), don't remember ever starving in one, and it's a welcome break from the main game. Also talk of it just being an exchange of food for loot is overly reductionistic, there is some skill to finding your way through the maze relatively quickly (along with some luck, sure) that alters the cost for players who are good at it versus those that arn't and therefore the decision to enter or not.

The only difference between a Lab and all other timed portal vaults is that you can't leave immediately afterwards. I don't remember if it prompts you before you go in; if it doesn't, perhaps it should, just like Pan and the Abyss portals do. And a player always needs to use judgment. Just like you shouldn't go into a volcano with a Mu that hasn't found rF+, don't go into the Lab with your Troll if you don't have significant food or if you are no good at mazes.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2013, 15:04

rebthor wrote:other timed portal vaults is that you can't leave immediately afterwards. I don't remember if it prompts you before you go in

It does.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
rebthor
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion