Curse & butchering

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 24th November 2011, 02:23

Curse & butchering

Seems pretty stupid that you can't butcher things with only *one* hand wielding a cursed weapon. I could understand if it took a bit longer, or you ended up doing a crappier job.. but having one hand full of flail doesn't seem like it would render a person entirely incapable of getting some meat off of a big fat fish, especially if that person were practically starving

For this message the author Dingo has received thanks:
AtT

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 24th November 2011, 04:18

Re: Curse & butchering

Recently I killed and butchered a duck, and it took me about an hour and definitely took both hands to do. "seems like" reality-based reasoning is a bad measurement for this feature of crawl.

For this message the author roctavian has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 12:07

True 'nuff, but we're talkin magical gamery here ☺

Jus sayin', if you have an ogre who is willing to eat a big wad of rotten rat meat, it's unlikely that he'd be unable to separate any flesh at all from a one-ton cyclops corpse with only one hand free. If the general consensus is that curse = no butcher is a fair penalty, then that's fine by me

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 12:26

Yeah I'd say curse = no butcher just for simplicity sake. If we went by real world logic, carnivores shouldn't even really need to butcher at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 13:53

As many US Americans can testify as of yesterday (it being our Thanksgiving holiday, with the usual center point of the meal being a whole roasted turkey), it unquestionably takes both hands to separate edible meat from a carcass, even if you're just generating "chunks". Even if I just wanted to stick my face into the dead bird and chomp on it (like the notional ogre mentioned above), I'd want both hands free to steady it.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 14:07

That's only if you're eating a small piece. I don't think a lion would need to steady a whole zebra :) So I doubt a troll would need to butcher a yaktaur.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 14:10

Curse = no butcher is pretty much the only harsh penalty for wearing cursed gear as it is; if anything about curses were to be changed, they would need to have more noticeable effects, not less.

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
mageykun

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th November 2011, 16:46

Much truth ITT.

Idea: tofu golem (for spriggans)

Return to Game Design Discussion