Speed

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 10th January 2023, 12:33

Speed

Would it be more interesting if movement speed of characters and monsters be more various?

Elves could have higher speed. Like 8 delay

Monsters for sure could have more various movement speed and delay. Like snakes, ooz, clamsy monsters could be slover

Heavy equipment could make you slower. This would give a possibility to build an Archer character.

What do you think guys?

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 11th January 2023, 18:33

Re: Speed

I would have said no, because running away from enemies to get free attacks is a degenerate playstyle. It's not very fun and largely unrealistic. (Intelligent monsters would stop chasing and start setting up ambushes)

But with the new opportunity attacks, I wouldn't mind being faster than a few monsters. And monsters being faster than yourself has lost a lot of relevance since you can't run away anyway.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th January 2023, 07:42

Being faster than a monster is a very powerful ability. So if you would make e.g. elves faster, you should balance them by making them weaker in some other sense.

Crawl used to have item weights and burden levels in the past. They were removed in DCSS 0.15, and I don't think they're coming back.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 16th January 2023, 15:43

I think the problem with item weights/carrying capacity/etc is that it requires tedious stashing of extra ammo and the like. If you were just slowed by wearing excessively heavy armor, that might be fine. (We already have that system for ranged combat, after all.)

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
petercordia

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 16th January 2023, 23:19

Aren't armours of ponderousness still in the game?

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
andrew

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 14th February 2023, 12:41

petercordia wrote:I would have said no, because running away from enemies to get free attacks is a degenerate playstyle. It's not very fun and largely unrealistic. (Intelligent monsters would stop chasing and start setting up ambushes)

But with the new opportunity attacks, I wouldn't mind being faster than a few monsters. And monsters being faster than yourself has lost a lot of relevance since you can't run away anyway.

It all looks wierd since spriggan has faster speed then other. And it doesnt make him very powerfull.
Fast speed may be advantage of an archers or any other type of shooters.

What is really unrealistic is the same speed of all classes races and types.
It is dumb that lightweight stabber has the same speed as heavy armored warrior.

The best way of balancing is follow the logic that is close to real life. Otherwise it will be artifical ballance that in such a complicated RPG system (as this game) will be full of hacks and stupid restrictions.

Return to Game Design Discussion