New search breaks muscle memory, again

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2022, 18:19

New search breaks muscle memory, again

Hi,

New search has a feature "results on your position", this is a full rehash of a situation from 2016, see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20374 and got reverted back then. Basically, some very fast players search for items by muscle memory - I know a buckler is closest, so I put "uckl" in search and hit "a", all extremly quick. With the "results on your position" that muscle memory doesn't work since the letter you'd had to hit changes by your inventory in non-memory-musclable ways.

I quite like the "results on your position" feature, but maybe it'd be possible to adress that specific part of the results by numbers instead of letters so the old search feature works as expected?

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks: 3
nago, Octopode-monk-of-XOM, petercordia

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 23rd January 2022, 16:40

Re: New search breaks muscle memory, again

I've made the following commit in response to this post:

Code:
    fix: select first travelable item in stash search

Some players use this menu as a quick shortcut while collecting items
    that they are sure already exist, and I guess having to hit ','+enter is
    too much work. This lets enter immediately travel to the first
    travelable item.

I'm undecided as of yet what to do with the lettering: I respect that
    many players have some muscle memory for ctrl-f a, but on the other
    hand, I don't think the fact that a kind of dodgy UI decision is
    enshrined in people's muscle memory is a good reason to keep it. I'm
    definitely opposed to making items on the current position fully
    unselectable in this UI, as was done (for carried items) in response to
    https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20374. This makes
    the whole UI less usable and there's a ton of players who don't need or
    want the reversion that was (rather unconstructively) advocated for in
    that old thread.

I have to say, the linked thread mostly convinced me of why I'm not often sad that oldtavern is defunct. Please be constructive in this thread.

For this message the author advil has received thanks:
le_nerd

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd January 2022, 19:06

Thanks, much appreciated! I hadn't even seen the , option yet, that'd have worked fine too.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 23rd January 2022, 21:15

This is affecting me as well, just like quivering continues to do to this day. I know I have stones bound to f. I have no clue what they'll be bound to on the quivering screen. And I still quiver stupid stuff all the time. DOn't get me wrong, I love the quivering mechanic, but the UI does not match equipment binds, AND IT COULD! Keep quiver-able items bound to their letters, and populate the rest of the alphabet/numbers with the other options
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 24th January 2022, 07:09

Maybe add a boolean config option like "fire_preserve_keybindings" which, when true, would cause the quiver menu to be populated by going through fire_order and, for each category, assign all quiverables of that category to their matching letter, if that letter is not already assigned to a quiverable. Then, after all categories have been handled this way, unassigned quiverables would get assigned to the remaining available letters according to the existing rules? That way, regardless of what type of quiverables a player prefers to use the quiver for, it would be possible to configure the quiver so all quiverables of that type always use the same letter in the quiver as elsewhere, and players who prefer the current customizable priority sorting functionality would be able to continue using it.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 25th January 2022, 14:48

The problem with just prioritizing inventory lettering in the quiver menu is that all three of inv/spells/abilities have customizable letters, and depending on the player/char, one might want any of these - and inventory bindings do change over the course of the game. Anyways, I pushed an update to the quivering menu that lets you focus in on each of these categories, using the lettering from the category while focused in on it (use the `!` key to toggle this mode).

Also, this is much more niche and I'm not sure how much anyone has ever used or even known about this feature, but there's a much older solution to this problem as well using inscriptions. For items, that menu also does respect number inscriptions, e.g. if you inscribe an item with "@Q1" (or "@*1", which will work in other contexts as well), then you can hit 1 in the quiver menu to quiver it. (And of course macroing something to "Q*" works as well.)

For this message the author advil has received thanks: 3
le_nerd, Nekoatl, twelwe

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 26th January 2022, 18:49

OK thanks Advil, that inscription solution worked perfectly!
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Return to Game Design Discussion