Is this supposed to be fun?


Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 24

Joined: Saturday, 10th December 2016, 15:38

Post Saturday, 9th March 2019, 20:32

Is this supposed to be fun?

I'm all up for skill checks and dice rolls, but this is utterly ridiculous:

Spoiler: show
The crimson imp is too close now for your liking.
A crimson imp is nearby!
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
You are starving!
_You feel sick. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp misses you.
Found 19 stones.
You are too hungry to fight recklessly!
You are too hungry to fight recklessly!
You miss the crimson imp. You feel sick.
You are no longer poisoned.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You eat one of the 6 rations. That ration really hit the spot!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
_You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
_A crimson imp is nearby!
_Your magical contamination has completely faded away.
_You start resting.
The crimson imp is too close now for your liking.
A crimson imp is nearby!
_A crimson imp is nearby!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp spits at you.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is almost dead.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage. x2
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is almost dead.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp shouts, "Accept thy failure, thou paunchy doghearted pissant!"
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp grinds its teeth.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_You see here a dagger.
_The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_There is a stone staircase leading up here.
You climb upwards.
_Level annotation: 3 runed translucent doors, Scuka's ghost, amateur DrFE
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
_You start resting.
_HP restored.
_You climb downwards. The crimson imp misses you. The crimson imp hits you.
There is a stone staircase leading up, spattered with blood here.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp grinds its teeth.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp sputters.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You completely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp puffs mist at you.
_The crimson imp laughs crazily.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp grins evilly.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you. The crimson imp blinks!
You miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp shouts, "Scamper hence, thou churlish elf-skinned
blabberskite!"
_The crimson imp hits you.
You miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp closely misses you.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp completely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you. x2
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
No target in view!
No target in view!
No target in view!
No target in view!


A monster that can't kill a player character, and a player character that can't kill the monster. What's the point of that?

For this message the author Scuka has received thanks: 6
asdu, chequers, duvessa, nago, TheMeInTeam, VeryAngryFelid
User avatar

Shoals Surfer

Posts: 290

Joined: Saturday, 21st May 2011, 08:23

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 15:00

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

teaching the player that running away is a viable option, without actually splatting them, seems like it's worth a monster
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4232

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 15:22

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

sardonica wrote:teaching the player that running away is a viable option, without actually splatting them, seems like it's worth a monster

A slow monster like old worm or water-based electric eel teach that much better.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
nago

Slime Squisher

Posts: 389

Joined: Thursday, 25th October 2012, 03:19

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 16:01

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

I think the point of this monster is that it is supposed to hamper you tactically rather than being a direct threat. For example: you're trying to get away from an ogre and then an imp blinks in front of your escape route causing you to get sandwiched between a monster you can't easily kill and one that is going to crush your face. It seems like good design to me to create threats which are more indirect, otherwise the game would be less diverse. This monster teaches a totally different set of lessons in threat assessment than a slow moving worm. Later on, blink frogs can be a real danger to most characters.

Also, even some of the weakest characters can actually kill imps. The trick is to use a heavier weapon, even if you don't have it skilled. The reason is to kill it more quickly with a lucky roll and not give it a chance to regenerate. It's very easy to reset the fight if it doesn't work out. This is a lesson in both weapon selection and resetting fights.

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1098

Joined: Friday, 16th January 2015, 20:20

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 17:56

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

... and poison.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4232

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 17:59

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

svendre wrote:I think the point of this monster is that it is supposed to hamper you tactically rather than being a direct threat. For example: you're trying to get away from an ogre and then an imp blinks in front of your escape route causing you to get sandwiched between a monster you can't easily kill and one that is going to crush your face. It seems like good design to me to create threats which are more indirect, otherwise the game would be less diverse. This monster teaches a totally different set of lessons in threat assessment than a slow moving worm. Later on, blink frogs can be a real danger to most characters.


I don't see how current crimpson imp can help to deal properly with blink frogs. In your example crimpson imp teaches you to avoid corridors because retreat path can be blocked but blinking frogs are better fought in corridor. Even if we need an "easy" monster for every mechanic in the game, why can't we remove the extra regeneration to make it non-annoying? What is the lesson of extra regeneration by the way? That not all monsters can be kited as Centaur and that monster Trolls have more effective HP than their description says? Player does not need crimpson imp to learn it IMHO.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 24

Joined: Saturday, 10th December 2016, 15:38

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 19:34

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

The issue here is that there are a ton of no damage hits and a ton of misses. Did any of you play Morrowind? That game is notorious for its combat system and this imp situation reminded me of exactly that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

Having your character do an action in a video game and watching it have absolutely no effect is always frustrating. I'd rather hit 10 times for 1 damage than nine times for 0 and one time for 10. I'm exagerating a bit, things don't need to be so predictable, but RNG peaks need to be smoothed out.

Slime Squisher

Posts: 360

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 06:56

Post Sunday, 10th March 2019, 21:27

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Scuka wrote:The issue here is that there are a ton of no damage hits and a ton of misses. Did any of you play Morrowind? That game is notorious for its combat system and this imp situation reminded me of exactly that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNXYrAkUntU

Having your character do an action in a video game and watching it have absolutely no effect is always frustrating. I'd rather hit 10 times for 1 damage than nine times for 0 and one time for 10. I'm exagerating a bit, things don't need to be so predictable, but RNG peaks need to be smoothed out.


The problem here is not that there are a bunch of whiffs - it's that the average damage inflicted by the imp and you is, in both cases, under the other's regeneration rate. Smoothing out the damage would actually make that problem worse, since the only thing that ends a fight like that is a big damage spike.

Realistically, imps' regeneration rate needs to be massively reduced or just cut back to normal.

And yes, I played Morrowind too, but I don't think the situation is exactly analogous. Once a monster/NPC got down to 0 fatigue it had practically no chance of hitting you (which happens easily with Ordinators' ebony maces, as heavier weapons rapidly drain fatigue), and an unskilled weapon had practically no chance of hitting a high-Agility monster. In Crawl, there's always (at least) a low but steady chance to hit your enemy, so the problem only emerges when you get high-EV jackasses with ridiculous regen rates (and players who, by stairdancing, can get whatever "regen rate" they want).

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks:
duvessa
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 4409

Joined: Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 12:28

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 00:24

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

There will always be cases where your damage output exactly matches some monster's regeneration rate...

That said... monster regen+ is really annoying for low-damage characters and might be replaced by more HP or AC or additional damage or something. Melee-only monsters with Blink can also be pretty infuriating; fights with them involve so much movement instead of damage (see also: distortion melee).

Crimson Imps manage to drink from both cups at once, which is especially frustrating for an early-game monster. IMO they'd be better without blink, or with flame tongue or something.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Slime Squisher

Posts: 389

Joined: Thursday, 25th October 2012, 03:19

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 04:37

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
svendre wrote:I think the point of this monster is that it is supposed to hamper you tactically rather than being a direct threat. For example: you're trying to get away from an ogre and then an imp blinks in front of your escape route causing you to get sandwiched between a monster you can't easily kill and one that is going to crush your face. It seems like good design to me to create threats which are more indirect, otherwise the game would be less diverse. This monster teaches a totally different set of lessons in threat assessment than a slow moving worm. Later on, blink frogs can be a real danger to most characters.


I don't see how current crimpson imp can help to deal properly with blink frogs. In your example crimpson imp teaches you to avoid corridors because retreat path can be blocked but blinking frogs are better fought in corridor. Even if we need an "easy" monster for every mechanic in the game, why can't we remove the extra regeneration to make it non-annoying? What is the lesson of extra regeneration by the way? That not all monsters can be kited as Centaur and that monster Trolls have more effective HP than their description says? Player does not need crimpson imp to learn it IMHO.


Granted imps and blink frogs aren't exactly the same, but they certainly share the ability to blink in common. When I encounter blink frogs, I take them seriously, but the cases where they are most dangerous are when they are adding fairly unpredictable extra damage or blocking paths in combination with a more serious threat. In that respect, I feel they are similar with imps. While it may be true to say it is safest to fight blink frogs in corridors, the same could be said for any monster except perhaps troll mages with LRD and a few exceptions. That is, the statement could be generally true for all fights, until it isn't.. because of specific circumstances. It's those specific circumstances where the blinking monsters pose a specific type of threat.

Another thing is that they create some chaos as far as stirring up the level. You can't always easily lure them to your preferred location, they might blink near a sleeping monster and wake them up, thwarting plans of perfectly controlling and luring a level.

If the regeneration were removed from imps, then even for infantile characters, they would be utter popcorn to destroy. That would also simultaneously remove one of the main threats they pose -- tactically interfering with you. If you can't swat it dead so quickly, then it's a much more effective blocker.

As for the annoyance factor, a few points:

1) Because of their blinking, if a person wants to ditch them on a previous level or run away from them, it is pretty easy.
2) Even a terribly weak character can still kill them pretty safely
3) The percentage of the game where a character isn't able to immediately splatter them like popcorn is very small.
4) Monsters aren't supposed to be there to give you a helping hand, they're supposed to get you killed in one way or another

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 153

Joined: Friday, 23rd October 2015, 03:12

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 04:46

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

I really dislike monsters that exist primarily to teach some tactic or mechanic. It would be less intrusive to display a splash screen saying "you can walk away from monsters" at the start of each game.

For this message the author phloomp has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Posts: 360

Joined: Thursday, 12th June 2014, 06:56

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 05:17

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

phloomp wrote:I really dislike monsters that exist primarily to teach some tactic or mechanic. It would be less intrusive to display a splash screen saying "you can walk away from monsters" at the start of each game.


I feel that it's fine for a monster to exist to teach some tactic - as long as the consequence of not learning that tactic is death, not tedium.

Moreover, the lesson crimson imps (supposedly) teach is "walk away from this monster because it's annoying and can take several hundred turns to kill". The lesson you need to learn is "walk away from this monster because it will kill you". That lesson is best taught by monsters that can kill you.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 2
byrel, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4232

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 06:14

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

svendre,
For me Blink Frogs are among the most dangerous monsters of Lair, their "path blocker" role is really small.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 4409

Joined: Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 12:28

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 12:51

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

svendre wrote:3) The percentage of the game where a character isn't able to immediately splatter them like popcorn is very small.

The thing that sucks here is that during that percentage of the game, they're worth a fair chunk of XP and are definitely worth plinking to death.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
duvessa

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 33

Joined: Monday, 2nd July 2018, 16:47

Post Monday, 11th March 2019, 20:43

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

I suggest giving crimson imps the Call Imp spell. Then they'll be something to run from if you can't kill them quickly, since they can actually kill players; later on, they'll be more tactically relevant since they can occupy more space.
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 4409

Joined: Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 12:28

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 16:10

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Giving call imp to imps who can call imps who may in turn have call imp could make... a lot of imps
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
PseudoLoneWolf, VeryAngryFelid

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1480

Joined: Monday, 21st November 2011, 07:40

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 17:06

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

It sounds like the primary problem with Imps is that they're insufficiently lethal; not surprising since they have the melee of a goblin, but better resists and defenses. The most direct solution is to increase their melee damage, but that makes them indistinguishable from phantoms (which are actually a good monster for teaching EV starts about parking, since they can kill you.)

So it seems to me that the options are:
  • Remove crimson imps. They do nothing particularly well at the moment, and are mostly just tedious XP-bags.
  • Give them a ranged attack ala frost imps. Frost imps are already lower HD, and probably do too much damage for a blink-monster when crimson imps show up, so you might have to drop crimson imps to 1-2 HD. (Also, isn't this just an orc wizard that give bonus XP at this point?)
  • Give them an ability that amplifies their indirect danger. I can't think of any of these that wouldn't incentivise getting it alone and then tediously killing it for XP, so something would also need to be done to either reduce its XP value to negligible or make it less annoying to kill when alone.
  • Remove their blink, and rework into another flavor of early-game monster.

Anything that's done would need to address Call Imp balance though; crimson imp spam is its only balancing factor right now, and it's quite strong enough as it is.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 153

Joined: Friday, 23rd October 2015, 03:12

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 17:15

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Maybe give them blink close instead of blink?
User avatar

Halls Hopper

Posts: 71

Joined: Thursday, 17th August 2017, 18:47

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 17:20

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

What if Blink was just replaced with Blink Close? Maybe decrease their fire immunity to resistance (frost imps aren’t immune to cold) so FE starts aren’t useless against it while it stays close to you.

EDIT: lol, phloomp beat me by 3 minutes.
Current Victories:
Spoiler: show
3 Runes: GrEE^Ru, CeBe^Trog, SpEn^Gozag, KoAr^Dith.
4 Runes: VSFi^Qaz.
5 Runes: DsGl^Oka, MiGl^Hep, GnWz^Sif.
9 Runes: DDAr^Makh.
15 Runes: HOFi^TSO->Zin, DEFE^Veh
For now...
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 4409

Joined: Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 12:28

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 17:37

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

byrel wrote:phantoms (which are actually a good monster for teaching EV starts about parking, since they can kill you.)

Phantoms seem more like a monster who teaches you to reset fights over and over until things go well — I think they have many of the same design problems as crimson imps.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 33

Joined: Monday, 2nd July 2018, 16:47

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 18:07

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

njvack wrote:Giving call imp to imps who can call imps who may in turn have call imp could make... a lot of imps

Yep. Problem?

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5971

Joined: Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 19:06

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 20:35

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Give them conjure flame, show those players how annoying it is to be a monster sitting behind a conjured flame waiting to attack your target! (Seriously though, don't do this, it would be terrible)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 178

Joined: Thursday, 16th August 2018, 21:19

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 20:37

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

I don't really mind red imps. You can just ignore them if you can't kill them. If the problem is that players feel they can't afford to leave the xp behind... maybe remove/reduce red imp xp?

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 137

Joined: Tuesday, 11th December 2018, 19:14

Post Tuesday, 12th March 2019, 21:13

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

petercordia wrote:I don't really mind red imps. You can just ignore them if you can't kill them. If the problem is that players feel they can't afford to leave the xp behind... maybe remove/reduce red imp xp?


XP is not permanently gone, you can just come back for it and kill the imp trivially.

Even so I'm in favor of getting rid of this kind of one-off low-threat high annoyance enemy entirely. Major temptation if you can't kill it is to lure + park. Doing so optimally puts it in a spot it can't cause tactical problems, but then what purpose *is* it serving? Mostly tedium.

Blink frogs were brought up as a comp but I don't think that's fair. There are more of them and they can legit kill you if handled poorly, even without randomly zapping acid wands on D:2.

I don't think I've ever died to a non-wand imp, only time was the acid wand example before kitchen_ace taught me how to force_more wielded wands.

Snake Sneak

Posts: 115

Joined: Friday, 23rd January 2015, 13:15

Post Thursday, 14th March 2019, 15:29

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Scuka wrote:I'm all up for skill checks and dice rolls, but this is utterly ridiculous:

Spoiler: show
The crimson imp is too close now for your liking.
A crimson imp is nearby!
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
You are starving!
_You feel sick. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp misses you.
Found 19 stones.
You are too hungry to fight recklessly!
You are too hungry to fight recklessly!
You miss the crimson imp. You feel sick.
You are no longer poisoned.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You eat one of the 6 rations. That ration really hit the spot!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
_You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
_A crimson imp is nearby!
_Your magical contamination has completely faded away.
_You start resting.
The crimson imp is too close now for your liking.
A crimson imp is nearby!
_A crimson imp is nearby!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp spits at you.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You are too injured to fight recklessly!
You completely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is almost dead.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage. x2
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is severely wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is almost dead.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp shouts, "Accept thy failure, thou paunchy doghearted pissant!"
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp grinds its teeth.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_You see here a dagger.
_The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_There is a stone staircase leading up here.
You climb upwards.
_Level annotation: 3 runed translucent doors, Scuka's ghost, amateur DrFE
There is a stone staircase leading down here.
_You start resting.
_HP restored.
_You climb downwards. The crimson imp misses you. The crimson imp hits you.
There is a stone staircase leading up, spattered with blood here.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is heavily wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp grinds its teeth.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
The crimson imp sputters.
The crimson imp hits you.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp sputters.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You completely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp puffs mist at you.
_The crimson imp laughs crazily.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp grins evilly.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp hits you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
_You barely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you. The crimson imp blinks!
You miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp barely misses you.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
The crimson imp shouts, "Scamper hence, thou churlish elf-skinned
blabberskite!"
_The crimson imp hits you.
You miss the crimson imp.
You tail-slap the crimson imp, but do no damage.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
_You closely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp closely misses you.
You completely miss the crimson imp. The crimson imp closely misses you.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp completely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. You tail-slap the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You barely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you. x2
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp misses you.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp barely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
You hit the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp hits you.
You hit the crimson imp but do no damage.
Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp hits you but does no damage.
You closely miss the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is lightly wounded.
_The crimson imp closely misses you.
You hit the crimson imp. Your tail-slap misses the crimson imp.
The crimson imp is moderately wounded.
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
_The crimson imp blinks!
No target in view!
No target in view!
No target in view!
No target in view!


A monster that can't kill a player character, and a player character that can't kill the monster. What's the point of that?

Looks like my first (and only) game of ADOM.

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 25

Joined: Wednesday, 14th March 2018, 00:31

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2019, 15:58

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

The crimson imp has three problems:
- Incredible defenses (more EV than any other imp, more HP than any non-iron imp, the ability to regenerate, and blinking)
- Almost no power to kill the player (apart from the rare case of spawning with a wand)
- Grants a massive amount of XP, more than an iron imp and over four times as much as a white or shadow imp

Right now crimson imps are a kind of nonthreatening XP pinata for characters with the build or players with the patience to kill them.

The most immediate step is to cut the XP by half or more (i.e. to somewhere between 10 and 25) to avoid this XP pinata effect.

Then we can think about how we can make the crimson imp a unique threat. I would suggest a kind of "Blink Frog Jr." that emulates the effect (a nebulous and shifting cloud of melee fighters) while being less deadly due to decreased damage and slower speed.

The new crimson imps would have much more breakable defenses while still being a decent melee fighter:
- No regen
- MR 10 (in line with other imps)
- EV 12 (still the highest of all imps)
- rF++ (in line with white imp's rC++)

More consistent offense
- Remove weapons & wands and boost the base attack from 4 to 6

The new crimson imps would appear in packs of 3-10 (slightly scaled with depth) and would be worth 10 XP each (same as a white imp but appearing in greater number). The lower MR and fire resistance would make them slightly more vulnerable to hexers and fire elementalists, although both would still have significant issues trying to fight a swarm with just hexes or fire magic.

This fulfills an "imp fantasy" of a hero swatting a swarm of small demons swooping at them.

For this message the author cliffracer has received thanks:
nago
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1534

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Wednesday, 20th March 2019, 22:09

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

cliffracer wrote: - Grants a massive amount of XP, more than an iron imp and over four times as much as a white or shadow imp

That's very, very, very unexpected, especially since my experience with "call imp" gave me the impression that the spell was built around the concept that red imps are the weakest of the lot, and thus they are summoned less frequently the higher your spell power.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DsBeTr, 15DsFiRu, 3DsMoNe, 3FoHuGo, 3TrArOk, 3HOFEVe, 3MfGlOk, 4GrEEVe, 3BaIEChei, 3HuMoOka, 3MiWnQaz, 3VSFiAsh, 3DrTmMakh, 3DsCKXom, 3OgMoOka, 3NaFiOka, 3FoFiOka, 3MuFEVeh, 3CeHuOka, 3TrMoTSO, 3DEFESif, 3DsMoOka

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 25

Joined: Wednesday, 14th March 2018, 00:31

Post Thursday, 21st March 2019, 00:50

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Shtopit wrote:
cliffracer wrote: - Grants a massive amount of XP, more than an iron imp and over four times as much as a white or shadow imp

That's very, very, very unexpected, especially since my experience with "call imp" gave me the impression that the spell was built around the concept that red imps are the weakest of the lot, and thus they are summoned less frequently the higher your spell power.


At first I thought it was the usual wiki bullshit, but I looked up the experience function exper_value() in

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/mas ... on-util.cc

and it checks out. Experience is calculated by a point-buy like system (i.e. more stats and features on monsters = higher XP). The base equation is

(16 + maxhp) * hd * hd / 10

Like iron imps, crimson imps have 3 HD as opposed to 2 for white and shadow. This means that they already give over twice as much XP (3 * 3 vs 2 * 2).

Then the difficulty modifier is added up and applied for various special effects, such as regeneration (+15%) and item use (+30%) for a total of +45% over everything other than the iron imp, which has item use.

Then the monster-specific experience modifier is applied, which is 13 (+30%), 10 (+0%), 14 (+40%), and 11 (+10%) for crimson, white, iron, and shadow respectively. So if we ignore maxhp (which goes iron > crimson > white > shadow), we see crimson being 9*1.45*1.3 = 17.0 to the white imp's 4*1*1 = 4, hence over 4 times as much XP. (Iron imps work out too as while they gain XP from higher hit points and a higher modifier, they don't have regeneration for diff and they get -20% due to being slow).

Crimson imps basically spent a whole lot of (frequently compounding) points on things that don't add up to a threatening monster.

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1480

Joined: Monday, 21st November 2011, 07:40

Post Friday, 22nd March 2019, 14:40

Re: Is this supposed to be fun?

Well, at a minimum I think them having a custom 30% bonus to XP is absurd. Given their low threat level, I suspect that could be non-controversially eliminated.

But in the end, it doesn't solve the problem, it just makes it less expensive to ignore it. Even if they gave 1XP, it would be worth the cost on many characters. It would make it less punishing to be a non-optimal non-tedious player though, which would be all for the good.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Return to Game Design Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.