auto_butcher when hungry or below

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 03:09

auto_butcher when hungry or below

Was thinking it'd be nice if you could configure auto butcher to work when you're hungry or less, since butchering early game (if you have no magical spells) takes time and if you're already full you won't need any meat if you're not carnivorous{maybe exclude carnivorous, vampires and gourmand for this].
Last edited by xbon on Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author xbon has received thanks:
johlstei

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 18:08

Re: auto_butcher when hungry or below

...what? Why would you want this? It takes three turns. That's far less time than it takes to walk back to the corpse when you're hungry.
twelwe wrote:It's like Blink, but you end up drowning.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 17th October 2016, 18:25

jwoodward48ss wrote:...what? Why would you want this? It takes three turns. That's far less time than it takes to walk back to the corpse when you're hungry.

Because there's no need to butcher most corpses, you can't eat them. It takes 3 turns times the number of wasted corpses vs precisely one corpse maybe if its still in existence when you become hungry. It's a big waste of piety to butcher every corpse.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
xbon

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 02:59

johlstei wrote:
jwoodward48ss wrote:...what? Why would you want this? It takes three turns. That's far less time than it takes to walk back to the corpse when you're hungry.

Because there's no need to butcher most corpses, you can't eat them. It takes 3 turns times the number of wasted corpses vs precisely one corpse maybe if its still in existence when you become hungry. It's a big waste of piety to butcher every corpse.

this precisely, 3 turns adds up if you're butchering *every* single corpse, for example, you take out a horde of orcs, now autobutcher will butcher all their corpses which could be upwards of 21+ turns, and this happens often enough, so it just makes you hungry faster but the chances are if you already ate recently all that meat is gonna expire before you're hungry again so it's just wasted turns.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 03:04

I think it is one of those things where you use it where it is, or if you want to do it picture-perfect, then you do it yourself. No need to add an option for something about 5% of players would use when players who actually care about it would do it manually.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 03:09

Midn8 wrote:I think it is one of those things where you use it where it is, or if you want to do it picture-perfect, then you do it yourself. No need to add an option for something about 5% of players would use when players who actually care about it would do it manually.

well; that's why it's a discussion, in its current form the only use I see for it is for carnivorous races, or if you get gourmand ammy.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 06:30

I still use it because I'd rather lose piety than hit c. Just butchering while hungry isn't "picture perfect" - it's just, in my opinion, a slightly better heuristic than what's already there. (The real optimal would be butchering precisely so that I'll become hungry just before the chunks go bad.)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2016, 15:14

Another option is to only butcher when you have 0 chunks in your inventory. You won't be caught without food, and you won't be spending hundreds of turns unnecessarily butchering additional food either.

For this message the author schoen has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 01:00

Hundreds of turns? What, did you just kill 66 corpse-dropping monsters? In that case, just disable autopickup until you've left the region. Otherwise you'll spend sixty-six turns looking at all their equipment! The horror! And with only one key to mash over and over until you're out of the room! THE HORROR!

For this message the author jwoodward48ss has received thanks:
Cimanyd

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 04:32

Don't see why you would oppose a clear improvement. Not auto butchering when you have over n chunks in inventory would be an improvement in every way. If you've made a kill hole, you can look at the stack of equipment in 2~3 turns, there's no need to also be sitting there putting every carcass through a meat grinder. It's like preferring that auto travel not needlessly backtrack or wait in place at random intervals.

For this message the author sooheon has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 15:38

It usually doesn't matter that much. It's not a big deal.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 17:02

jwoodward48ss wrote:It usually doesn't matter that much. It's not a big deal.
Then why did you make the two most histrionic posts in the thread?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 17:39

jwoodward48ss wrote:Hundreds of turns? What, did you just kill 66 corpse-dropping monsters? In that case, just disable autopickup until you've left the region. Otherwise you'll spend sixty-six turns looking at all their equipment! The horror! And with only one key to mash over and over until you're out of the room! THE HORROR!

Yes, in fact I often kill way more than 66 corpse dropping monsters over the course of a game of crawl.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 19:25

johlstei wrote:
jwoodward48ss wrote:Hundreds of turns? What, did you just kill 66 corpse-dropping monsters? In that case, just disable autopickup until you've left the region. Otherwise you'll spend sixty-six turns looking at all their equipment! The horror! And with only one key to mash over and over until you're out of the room! THE HORROR!

Yes, in fact I often kill way more than 66 corpse dropping monsters over the course of a game of crawl.

Not all at once, obviously.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 19:26

duvessa wrote:
jwoodward48ss wrote:It usually doesn't matter that much. It's not a big deal.
Then why did you make the two most histrionic posts in the thread?

I see one sarcastic and melodramatic post intended to mock my enemies, crush their spirits, and bind their souls to a neverending hell of torment and labour for my benefit. Not two.

oops

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2016, 21:57

jwoodward48ss wrote:Not all at once, obviously.
Right but wasting hundreds or even thousands of turns is a problem even when it's over the course of a game and (presumably) it's easily fixed with a simple heuristic change.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 20th October 2016, 01:08

johlstei wrote:Right but wasting hundreds or even thousands of turns is a problem even when it's over the course of a game and (presumably) it's easily fixed with a simple heuristic change.

Given that most people who want to use this option probably already have games that take 50k+ turns, in which case the extra time probably isn't relevant. And the people who care about turncount would just turn this off completely.

Or if you care about butchering that much, feel free to play hellcrawl, where they have removed food.
I'm with tasonir on this one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 20th October 2016, 23:44

Midn8 wrote:
johlstei wrote:Right but wasting hundreds or even thousands of turns is a problem even when it's over the course of a game and (presumably) it's easily fixed with a simple heuristic change.

Given that most people who want to use this option probably already have games that take 50k+ turns, in which case the extra time probably isn't relevant. And the people who care about turncount would just turn this off completely.

Or if you care about butchering that much, feel free to play hellcrawl, where they have removed food.

Everyone cares about turncount whether they know it or not because, for many gods, piety decays with turns. I don't care about l33t sp33drunz, I just want to use trog's hand a few more times. That's not worth turning off autobutcher (or using manual exploration, etc) but it would still be a nice improvement.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks: 2
duvessa, xbon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th October 2016, 21:42

johlstei wrote:
Midn8 wrote:

Everyone cares about turncount whether they know it or not because, for many gods, piety decays with turns. I don't care about l33t sp33drunz, I just want to use trog's hand a few more times. That's not worth turning off autobutcher (or using manual exploration, etc) but it would still be a nice improvement.

Just how many turns do you think are wasted because of autobutcher?

I mean i would estimate at max it is like 2000 turns a game, which might be enough piety for like 1 extra trogs hand, someone who isnt working right now feel free to actually do the math for me and correct me if i am wrong, but it sounds like maybe you are overestimating the number of butcherable corpses, or the amount of piety lost per turn.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion