noob mode for offline version

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 22:59

noob mode for offline version

would be nice if there was a mode where there was checkpoints when you get a rune and if you die and respawn at the checkpoint it re-gens the rest of the dungeon that your character had not visited prior to getting the rune. i am saying this as ive played htis game on and off for years and ive only seen the snake pit, shoals, and orcish mines once and ive only been able to get to the 7th floor of the lair.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 23:04

Re: noob mode for offline version

Not sure if this helps but if you press + on the numpad you can enter "explore mode" in which you are unable to die. Explore mode games are not scored.

For this message the author removeelyvilon has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, ydeve

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th July 2016, 23:13

If you are curious about higher level opponents and playing with high piety, you can try the dungeon sprints. They aren't easier or even remotely fair, but I did get my first ascension there. The fixed map layout makes for a very different experience.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 05:29

You can actually achieve checkpoints directly if you want to via savescumming. Whenever you get to a spot where you want a checkpoint, just backup your savefile. When you die, copy the backup back into your save folder. I actually did something similar back when I first starting playing for the same reason. Was tired of never seeing more to the game than dungeon, lair, and orc, so I played a game where I backed up my save file occasionally so I could get the chance to see the rest of the game. It's some hassle, but it works pretty well for what you want.

That said, I don't see any particular reason to not add a full "checkpoint mode" for the offline version, since it would be fully optional and offline high scores aren't really tracked anywhere as far as I know, except that someone would have to implement and maintain it. But that stops a lot of features from getting added.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 18:25

The reason to not add a checkpoint mode is that the game isn't supposed to be played with checkpoints. Explore mode (and wizard mode) already exist for those who want to remove permadeath. Directly supporting degenerate play (savescumming) teaches bad habits and does not improve the game.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 31st July 2016, 18:54

This is on the won't do list.
The Original Discourse Respecter

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 13:08

ydeve wrote:The reason to not add a checkpoint mode is that the game isn't supposed to be played with checkpoints. Explore mode (and wizard mode) already exist for those who want to remove permadeath. Directly supporting degenerate play (savescumming) teaches bad habits and does not improve the game.

Uhh... savescumming teaches bad habits, but pressing "N" to dying teaches good habits?

I'd say having to repeat sections of the game 'teaches' you more than just deciding not to die and continuing to mash the tab key.

But, if you want checkpoints, you'll have to make them yourself. Back up your character whenever you've decided that you've 'earned' a checkpoint, and then you can always go back to it.

I very much doubt anyone would spend the dev time to implement this in game, since it's kind of against the idea of permadeath, plus like Quaz said it would have to be maintained.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 17:12

With explore mode you can't undo what's already been done. Checkpoints take that away. If the game offered checkpoints, people would feel like that's legitimate play (it isn't for a roguelike). Explore mode feels like you're playing on training wheels.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 20:46

Well... you undo dying, that's really the only thing you'd want to undo...

What do you care what other people consider legitimate while they play their offline single player game?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 21:35

they're not playing it right goddamn it

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Sar, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st August 2016, 21:44

With savescumming you learn bad habits and dont learn how to play the game right. Explore mode doesnt teach the same bad habits.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 00:35

Why do you care that people "don't learn how to play the game right"?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 01:08

because I want all people who play crawl, and really all people, to learn to better themselves and reach a new plane of existence. playing roguelikes for hours on end is but the simplest way to reach a new state of awareness...

I don't actually care very much but it's a shame to throw a game like dcss away because you think it's dumb/easy while in fact you've just been bruteforcing it. playing crawl with savestates sounds to me like the fastest way to grow sick of a great game

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, dowan, PleasingFungus, qwesdf, ydeve

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 02:53

inb4 "crawl was never great"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd August 2016, 13:30

I agree that savescumming constantly takes the fun right out of permadeath games, in my experience. But I just don't see why playing in explore mode also wouldn't do that.

Savescumming is a decent way to keep some stakes in the game if you are trying to see everything. Having to repeat branches isn't as bad as repeating the whole game, but it's enough to make you not want to die. I don't think having to press 'n' is really much of a stake.

Either way, I totally agree that if you think you might want to play through this game more than once or twice, you're only cheating yourself out of the game by savescumming, or playing in explore mode. But it's not a terrible idea for seeing the various content in the game.

Return to Game Design Discussion