Move either Borgnjor's or Door to Poison

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 07:55

Move either Borgnjor's or Door to Poison

Code:
Noxious Rebirth
Poison
This spell instantly heals any and all wounds suffered by the caster, but the venomous cocktail used to revive the body also permanently lessens its resilience to injury — to a degree dependent on (and inversely related to) magical skill.

The spell is powerful enough to literally pull someone out of Death's Door, although the shock will render the caster incapable of action for a while.

Code:
Suspend Life
Poison/Charms
Renders the caster nigh invulnerable to harm for a brief period, but brings them dangerously close to death in the process. So close, in fact, that the body believes itself to be dead — healing effects will do nothing.

The caster will receive one warning shortly before the spell expires. With high power, the caster will be left more resilient when the effect ends. It has no effect on those who are undead.

Really, does Necromancy need four level 8 spells, including two different "get out of jail free" cards?

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 10
Arrhythmia, Brannock, Cimanyd, dowan, DracheReborn, ion_frigate, Leszczynek, Shard1697, Speleothing, vergil

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 09:35

Re: Move either Borgnjor's or Door to Poison

My vote is for Borgnjor's -> Noxious Rebirth.

Gameplay reason: it's the more universally useful of the two - it's not going to leave you dead when it wears off, whereas Death's Door can if you're not careful. Poison could use a boost, and Borg's would be a bigger one.

Flavor reason: it makes a LOT more sense than Death's Door. "Suspend Life" almost sounds like it should be Charms/Hexes.

For this message the author ion_frigate has received thanks: 3
dowan, DracheReborn, Shard1697

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 17:40

Isn't poison supposed to be the school with no high-level spells, which eventually falls off? It seems like adding those high-level necro spells would violate that.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks:
Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 17:52

genericpseudonym wrote:Isn't poison supposed to be the school with no high-level spells, which eventually falls off?
Does that make it a good design? Amnesia traps were supposed to be in the game but they were still removed.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Speleothing

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 18:25

I think poison magic as it is right now is a really unsatisfying school of magic to use, because you know that you're sinking XP into something which won't be worthwhile later(and isn't really better than other schools early anyways)

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, WingedEspeon

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 18:43

Adding high level magical conjurations to poison (in the form of acid) is against its design, but I see nothing wrong with it having high level auxiliary spells.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 19:26

It would seem having people actually use poison magic is against the design goals...

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 3
duvessa, WingedEspeon, ydeve

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 20:10

Well, poison arrow and poison cloud make the magic school "not a waste," but I agree it would be nice to have more cool poison spells. However, the tricky part is that the new spells have to stand on their own feet, rather than existing just to pad out poison magic.

About the OP, I wouldn't object if either of those spells were moved, but I don't feel too strongly about it.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
ontoclasm

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 20:39

Would it be OP making the Virulence Spell available to the player?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 22:38

and into wrote:Well, poison arrow and poison cloud make the magic school "not a waste," but I agree it would be nice to have more cool poison spells. However, the tricky part is that the new spells have to stand on their own feet, rather than existing just to pad out poison magic.

This is the key bit right here. People hear two statements:
1) Poison Magic isn't the worthless piece of trash you might assume it to be, and
2) We/I don't think [this suggested high-level poison spell] should be added,
and mash them together with a large handful of dev hatred to get "we will never improve Poison Magic or add high-level Poison spells for any reason." Make a good, interesting, distinctive Poison spell and it'll get in, but that's easier said than done.

That said, moving Borg's to Poison doesn't strike me as a terrible idea. I dunno if it should actually happen, but it's not actively awful the way most give-Poison-Magic-a-high-level-spell suggestions are.

v Incorrect. Adding acid spells, specifically, is on the list (because it's a bad idea). That doesn't preclude other spells.
Last edited by ontoclasm on Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author ontoclasm has received thanks:
Speleothing

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 22:48

Well it IS on the official "will never happen list" for what it's worth.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 23:53

Could add some curare effects to poison as well, having a curare weapon spell would be pretty cool since the slow works on (almost?) everything. Curare cloud/bolt sounds a bit much though.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 02:37

Some ideas for more poison spells:

-A poison the player takes that buffs the player, at a particular cost. Hard to say what form this would take.
-A Hexes/Poison spell that temporarily allows an enemy to be poisoned while they remain in your sight, even enemies that would normally be immune. If the enemy is not immune beforehand, they may be affected by a more potent poison. Would help make poison relevant against low MR mobs.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 02:37

removeelyvilon wrote:Well it IS on the official "will never happen list" for what it's worth.

Acid spells are, not high level poison spells in general. The problem is that there have been a huge number of suggestions that just consist of "give posion magic a high level spell for the sake of poison magic having a high level spell, and make it acid so it isn't useless in branches filled with poison-immune enemies/because I can't think of good high level poison mechanics but acid seems like an open design space."

Personally, I think finding ways to buff poison magic would be nice, but moving Bjorg's or Death's Door there seems like a weird way to accomplish it. The school is pretty much entirely offensive, suddenly having its highest-level spell be a super-powerful defensive spell doesn't feel like it fits. Necromancy already offers plenty of utility at lower levels, so it having powerful high-level utility spells works. Poison is an offensive school, even its utility mostly targets enemies (especially with cure poison gone).

I wouldn't mind seeing Bjorg's or Death's Door moved to another school, and I wouldn't mind seeing poison getting some powerful end-game spells, but I think I might rather see those things addressed separately.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 03:50

Death's Door could work as a Translocations spell. I don't think it fits in any other school except that or Necromancy without serious thematic overstretches. Tloc already has a bunch of "save yourself" spells.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 06:40

Poison/Hexes Death's Door works by using tetrodotoxin and curses to turn yourself into an unfeeling, unstoppable voodoo zombie!

And thematically PM has no real gimmick other than "poison things". An additional "sacrifice HP to do extra damage/save yourself" angle could work well for it, especially if a "poison yourself for X counters, get considerable damage/defense boosts as long as the poison remains" spell is added to the school.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 16:26

Move Poison Magic to Transmutations, giving Poison Magic users more cool tools to mess around with for investing and giving Transmuters more reasons to invest past the bare minimum to function.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 27th July 2016, 17:09

Floodkiller wrote:Move Poison Magic to Transmutations, giving Poison Magic users more cool tools to mess around with for investing and giving Transmuters more reasons to invest past the bare minimum to function.

While transmuter is my favourite background, I don't really see this well, for a few reasons. One is that there already is a certain synergy between poison and transmutation (spider, ignite poison, alistair), which can start at low levels, so that there already are advantages at training both schools without joining them together. Another is that a school which allows you to become immune to poison and to inflict poison on everything in sight looks like too much to me: too much gain from a single investment. Third, I'd rather see better synergy between transmutation and Necromancy appear instead, both for flavour (the interest concerning biology by both schools) and to make Necromutation a little better for transmuters. Like, making Ice Form a level 3 Ice/Trans/Necr spell.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 12:41

You do realize poison has the spell cure poison, right? So there already is a school that lets you be immune to poison and inflict poison on everything in sight, in fact both spells to do that are in the VM starting book.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 12:48

screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 14:00

dowan wrote:You do realize poison has the spell cure poison, right? So there already is a school that lets you be immune to poison and inflict poison on everything in sight, in fact both spells to do that are in the VM starting book.

Cure =/= immune. Right now, you can get statue form and then cast Radiance until you run out of MP or cast poisonous cloud on yourself and stay there and keep fighting, while cure poison requires you to waste turns and MP depoisoning yourself instead of [doing anything else].

EDIT: Fun Fact: if Radiance doesn't poison the caster any more, what I said only counts for using poisonous cloud in melee.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 28th July 2016, 18:30

As far buffing as poison magic goes, all this proposal would achieve is to make me consider poison arrow a bit more seriously on conjurer-type characters, i.e. the only characters that had any interest in the poison school to begin with. Which in turn means that finding poison arrow would be a prerequisite for even considering the use of borg/ddoor (though, in all fairness, pain weapons already kind of do this anyway).
On any other character I'm not going to train 16+ skill levels of a magic school that has nothing else I want, at least not in the part of the game where I still care about what's going on.

Return to Game Design Discussion