A New Book Mechanic Proposal

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 11:49

A New Book Mechanic Proposal

It's an attempt to solve multiple problems.

1. Make books disappear. Instead, fixed magical inscriptions appear on the floor, on which one can walk and with which one can interact (kinda like altars).

2. Each inscription contains a set of spells, pretty much like a spellbook. When you interact with them, all spells disappear from the inscription and appear on your personal spellbook.

3. You learn spells from the spellbook, consuming spell slots like it is now, and can only use learnt spells.

4. Trog will automatically destroy all magical inscriptions you see. The explosion doesn't need to be loud and call in monsters, but it is definitive: there is no way to rebuild the inscription later. This means that using spellbooks as a landmine isn't possible any more, and that Trog will effectively make it much harder for you to become a wizard, if you have in mind to leave him. This is a small nerf to Trog, which is, anyway, horribly overpowered already. It also makes choosing him much more meaningful in the long run than just expecting wrath.

5. Forgetting spells is only done with scrolls or other such items; Sif Muna allows you to forget them without scrolls. His piety cost for this ability should be increased, because it is now would be possible to carry around a huge lot of spells and, as things are now, one might decide to simply change some 10-20 spells before entering a new branch. Channeling could be powered up to make up for this. Another option is to make forgotten spells not only free place in the leant spells section, but also to disappear in from the spellbook.

6. Gifts and Stores: there are two options. One is that the gods will simply make the inscription appear at your feet. The other, which is maybe better for shops, is that you are sold a scroll that will generate an inscription where you are standing when read.

What are the advantages?
- Eased and understandable interface.
- Small nerf and added depth to Trog
- Less inventory clutter and management, less stack building, less doing things which aren't fun or slow down the game.

What are the disadvantages?
- Sif Muna needs work.

This proposal is clearly built upon various other ideas which have been flying around in the last few days.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 15:49

Re: A New Book Mechanic Proposal

It actually makes more sense that spell would be "unlocked" a bit like the identification of items, rather than having to move around a stack of book, or make a stash of book.

I often wonder what would be my success rate and power for such and such spell so I end up making frequent and rather unnecessary trip to my stash.

Make the personnal spell book accessible via the M key and that would be almost painless.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 16:42

FYI seren, you can check spell success and power from books without actually traveling to them. After you do ctrl+f for "book" or whatever, when the list of items comes up you can press ! to change to view mode. After that, pressing the letter of a book will let you see the spells. Press the letter for a spell and it will show you success chance and power.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 18:50

Shops sell you a scroll which creates an inscription on the ground which you then must read?

Why not just have the shop sell you a spellbook, and have reading the spellbook consume it and add the spells to your collection?
Same with the other spells actually. What's the point of reflavoring everything to be an inscription? Just keep spellbooks as items but have them be consumed either when read or just when picked up.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 25th July 2016, 19:22

genericpseudonym wrote:Shops sell you a scroll which creates an inscription on the ground which you then must read?

Why not just have the shop sell you a spellbook, and have reading the spellbook consume it and add the spells to your collection?
Same with the other spells actually. What's the point of reflavoring everything to be an inscription? Just keep spellbooks as items but have them be consumed either when read or just when picked up.

That actually makes sense. You buy the spellbook, and you immediately get the spells in your personal spellbook. I just was so fixated with the inscription deal that I didn't think about it. The same could be with gods, Sif Muna grants you a gift! And a window opens, showing the new spells you just gained (so that you are aware of them).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Game Design Discussion