Immobilize (an irresistable buff spell)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 22nd August 2011, 18:51

Immobilize (an irresistable buff spell)

From a design perspective, what is useful about an irresistable debuff?

* An irresistable effect is consistent. The player can plan ahead under the assumption that the effect will go through; this rewards a player who is willing to jump through hoops to make the effect useful.
* An irresistable effect is much stronger than a resistable one; thus, cool but weak effects can be made viable if they are irresistable.

A good example here is Leda's Liquefaction, which is situational and has lots of downsides (symmetric, so the player can't use it to escape; ineffective against ranged attackers; doesn't work on fliers) but is still a good level 4 spell because when it works, it works all the time.

This spell has been bouncing around in my head for awhile, and I think it's a good example:

Immobilize
Hex/Tloc 3
A single targetted opponent is immobilized, preventing them from moving. The target is not prevented from attacking or casting spells. If the caster makes an MR check, the target immobilized for 3-5 rounds; if they fail, the target is immobilized for 1 round.

The idea here is to make a reasonably cheap spell which is useful, but situational. On success, Immobilize compares unfavorably to Confuse; the duration is shorter, and a confused enemy poses no threat, while immobilization almost makes spellcasters more dangerous (since they'll cast spells instead of moving).

On failure, Immobilize gives the player one turn with a single monster frozen in place. This is usually bad against multiple monsters, and even against a single monster it usually won't get the player anything (the monster at best loses a turn, and the player loses a turn casting the spell). But holding a melee threat in place can have its uses, especially when some other force (a conjured flame, summons, poison damage, etcetera) is being brought to bear simultaneously.

The only thing I'm worried about here is being able to get extra actions and kite a monster using Haste, but I hope that will be so MP-intensive as to be impractical.

Even if Immobilize is a bad idea (and it might be, I'm pretty biased), I think Crawl could benefit from more small, tactical, irresistable effects like it: and like Leda's Liquefaction, and Alistair's Intoxication, and probably others I'm not remembering.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 22nd August 2011, 19:38

Re: Immobilize (an irresistable buff spell)

Combining this with a cloud spell could quite easily kill many creatures.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd August 2011, 20:03

nrook wrote:If the caster makes an MR check, the target immobilized for 3-5 rounds; if they fail, the target is immobilized for 1 round.

huh. What? The caster makes an MR check? Why?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 22nd August 2011, 20:21

Doesn't irresistible mean no resistance check?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 07:55

In a one on one situation you could just cast this until you run out of mana or pass the check, without anything happenening. Should be somewhat noisy IMO.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 14:50

minmay wrote:I think nrook just means it has to pass an MR check like any other hex spell (it doesn't check against the caster's MR, that's just poor wording).

Yeah, that's what I meant, my bad.

I called this an irresistible spell because the player might cast it even for the failure effect, so it has all the implications a truly irresistible spell would have. It's true that it's very powerful in certain situations, but it does cost 3 MP/turn, too.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 04:58

You could make it hexes/air and make the fluff some kind of static barrier/galvanizing effect, which would make noisiness make sense.

Return to Game Design Discussion