Remove Line of Effect requirement from 'a'ttack command

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:01

Remove Line of Effect requirement from 'a'ttack command

When a summoner is trying to order his allies to attack an enemy he can see but whose firing line passes through a clear wall can't issue the attack command. The 'a'ttack command, from the 't'alk menu should use smite targeting.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:02

Re: Remove Line of Effect requirement from 'a'ttack command

It does use smite targeting. You cannot smite through a transparent wall. A transparent wall is the same as a non-transparent wall for all purposes except for actually seeing through it.

Really the problem here is transparent walls, since they don't act like players expect and imo they don't add enough to the game to make up for that confusion.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
PlatinumSpider

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:32

crate wrote:It does use smite targeting. You cannot smite through a transparent wall. A transparent wall is the same as a non-transparent wall for all purposes except for actually seeing through it.

Really the problem here is transparent walls, since they don't act like players expect and imo they don't add enough to the game to make up for that confusion.

I see, thanks. I agree then about the transparent walls then. Shouldn't smite targeting should allow you to hit anything you can see?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 20:34

It allows you to hit anything you can see that isn't behind a transparent wall.

The devs don't want attacking monsters through walls to be a thing (for good reasons).

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 21:00

I can see that, but controlling your own summons should be something you can always do.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 21:03

Well as I said the real solution is to remove transparent walls, not try to hack in a bunch of rules to make other things maybe work nicely with them.

Letting the player tell summons to attack a thing behind a transparent wall wouldn't work, since the summons would not be able to actually attack it. Permanent allies could, I guess.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 21:12

Or when you are in a room with T-Wall pillars that you are behind but your summon and target aren't. But again if the pillars were just rock you wouldn't see the enemy.

Return to Game Design Discussion