fr: remove piety decay (from all gods but Uka)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:19

fr: remove piety decay (from all gods but Uka)

I apologize if I'm reopening a topic that has been hashed out already. I am not aware of it.

I am going to put the TL;DR up front. Piety decay constitutes a clock pushing the player deeper into the dungeon by depleting an important strategic resource as time passes. But it (both its existence and importance) is spoilery and interferes with the other thing piety is prominently supposed to do (be the limitation on how much and how quickly you can use your god-given abilities and gifts.) It would be better to remove the clock role from piety by removing piety decay.

______

Here is the long version.

This is a speculative idea, not a proposal for immediate action. I am going to assume that either food is reformed (or a different long-term clock is implemented), or that the idea of a clock pushing the player down is abandoned entirely. For I mean to argue that piety decay as it is now makes for a poor clock, in comparison to a properly done food (or whatever else) clock.

It is frequently, and I think plausibly, pointed out that a root problem with food is that it is overloaded by trying to be both a tactical and stragetic resource. This makes it difficult to balance how much nutrition should be in the dungeon, and from what sources. Going forward I will basically assume that decoupling these roles is one of the changes made by food reform, and nutrition (or whatever the long-term clock turns out to be) is no longer used tactically.

Another sort of redundancy is that there exists multiple clocks, at least both a food clock and a piety clock. For several gods, if the player follows them, then the player's piety gradually drops as time passes. Since it is usually good to have higher piety, this gives you motivation to not spend turns needlessly. Since you often want to have piety consistently above some (perhaps fuzzy) threshold, in order to have access to some ability at some (perhaps fuzzy) level of effectiveness, you often want to spend those turns on things that please your god and get you piety (usually, effectively, killing stuff).

I do not think there is a convincing reason to have more than one long-term clock operating. For reasons of space I have omitted more detailed discussion of the possibilities for why this may be a good thing; if someone wishes to talk about that, they can raise the point. So, tentatively, say that at most one clock pushing the player forward is desirable. Why not piety decay? Here are three issues with piety decay.

First, piety decay is (for some gods at least) important yet quite spoilery. Depending on your god, piety decay is important because it limits your access to important abilities and gifts. But it is unclear to new players that this is important. For my own part, I did not know that piety decay was actually a concern that should ever motivate my speed in descending until I started lurking on Tavern.*

How is piety decay supposed to function as a clock, anyway, if players do not even realize it is playing that role? I am not sure where in-game the fact that piety decays over time is even mentioned. It seems not to be mentioned on the ^ screens or in the religion section of the manual. Changing that (on the wrath part of the ^ screens, ''Okawaru does not appreciate it when you dawdle, and gradually loses interest if you do nothing he likes.'') seems like a minimal improvement that could be made right away. But in any case, players only interact with their piety level in a very granular way, and mostly they are constantly gaining piety and often losing it by using abilities. So it is very difficult to tell how much of a drain piety decay actually is on your piety level only by watching how your piety fluctuates as you play.**

Another way in which piety decay is spoilery and overly complex (I literally only found out about this today) is that the rate of decay is significantly different for different gods. Sequell tells me that Troglodytes lose 1/16 every 20 turns; Sifus lose 1/100. For some gods (Chei, Ru, Fedhas) the rate of piety decay is zero. With the exceptions of Ru and Uka, I thought this divergence was quite surprising.

Second---and this is the reason I suspect it is not enough if piety decay is fixed or streamlined or clarified, but should be removed altogether---the piety system has a similar sort of overloaded structure as food does right now. Piety gives you access to tactically useful abilities, useful passives, and gifts. So your amount of piety is a strategic resource limiting how often you can use Heroism, how many books you'll get and when, etc. Piety decay makes it play another role in addition, as a clock that drives you deeper into the dungeon lest your character get weaker. Just as it would be better if food cleanly implemented a strategic clock and was not a tactical resource, it would be better if the piety mechanic cleanly implemented a limit on god-abilities/gifts and did not try to serve as a general purpose clock as well.

It may have a certain elegance when a mechanic discharges multiple functions at once. But it makes it much harder to tweak the mechanic in order to adjust the balance of this or that; the more things your mechanic does, the more likely your tweaks are to have knock-on effects that you don't want. Anyway, ''one tool that is perfectly fitted to its one job'' has a certain elegance too, to my mind. Similarly, the more mechanics are relevant for a function, the harder it is to change how the function is discharged by tweaking only this or that mechanic: the problem of motivating the player not to dawdle may turn out to involve fiddling with several mechanics instead of one.

Finally, the piety clock pushes the player to descend by gradually removing abilities. Having low food motivates you (theoretically) to go deeper, but doesn't actually change your character's abilities (until you abruptly die). You're just aware that if the clock really kicks in, you're going to starve to death. On the other hand, piety weakens characters that are already taking too long: the weak get weaker. As the piety clock gradually kicks in, it puts pressure on your falling increasingly behind the power curve. I actually think this is a bad feature of a mechanic, because I do not like it when games draw out a death into a long inevitable-seeming descent into weakness. Although piety decay is seldom influential enough on its own to accomplish that, it has the same structure of weakening the weak characters and forcing players to try and stay ahead of the ''power curve.'' But at the moment, I am not prepared to defend this as more than a matter of taste; so if you disagree, you're going to find this a weak point in the argument.

______

Footnotes, yes, footnotes:

* By the way, I am open to the possibility that the importance of piety decay has been overblown on Tavern, and it is actually basically unimportant. I am just taking this on based on testimony. But if it is not actually important, then there is fine reason to get rid of it: in this case it's an unimportant and spoilery mechanic that is potentially (and actually) confusing to players. If it is important, then I marshal the above considerations.

** Contrast this with food: you are constantly eating a chunk after the ''hungry'' indicator lights up and then notice when it does so again, and mostly you aren't getting nutrition unless you eat. So it is easy to get a fairly good feel for how much nutrition a chunk has (in units of turns), even though the display of your nutrition level is very granular. And of course it is easy to tell how fast you are chewing through your permafood. This is much less true for builds that significantly use nutrition tactically, but I guess that many new players at least try non-berserker melee characters as well, so that from that they get a bead on how fast nutrition depletes without ability use.
Last edited by andreas on Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author andreas has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Lasty, Tiktacy, ydeve, zxc23

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:28

Re: fr: remove piety decay (from all gods but Uka)

Its reasons like this that I made the thread dedicating shout outs to new guys.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:37

Piety decay is useful because it removes the incentive to scrimp and save piety by tedious methods. When poisoned but not lethally so, most players choose to rest it off rather than burn a potion of curing because potions of curing can be stockpiled and are limited in availability. If piety was a resource that could be stockpiled, players would be just as hesitant to use abilities.

Take Okawaru's heroism. It is a cheap ability that is intended to be used frequently. Without piety decay, it would be optimal to instead use it as infrequently as possible in hopes of getting slightly more frequent equipment gifts, but with piety decay you run the risk of taking extra damage if you are too cheap with your activated abilities, which results in more resting and more decay.

Considered as a whole system, piety is a really effective pacing tool. If you play the game normally as it was intended, you get a steady flow which can be fed into using your abilities. Using your abilities frequently causes them to recharge faster, and using them less often makes you run into a soft cap that prevents you from stockpiling. Tedious tricks to cheese the system don't work because you need to be playing the game normally to maintain your normal income.

You should probably worry less about piety decay for normal activities. It is not a strategic pacing tool, and any difference between Okawaru gifts between games is probably a clustering illusion rather than anything to do with piety decay. On a strategic level, piety decay is at most a reason not to waste 20 minutes of real-time kiting a dire elephant around an empty level until you can finally finish chipping it to death, which is the sort of activity that is rightfully to be discouraged.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Lasty

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 02:49

To reiterate, the point is not that there should not be a mechanism which plays the role of clock and prevents the optimal player from spending forever on only very slightly beneficial tasks. The point is that if piety decay serves that function now, it does so clumsily, and is poorly positioned to be changed to do it well; it should step aside so some other mechanism can execute that role.

edit: concision

For this message the author andreas has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 08:12

KoboldLord wrote:Take Okawaru's heroism. It is a cheap ability that is intended to be used frequently. Without piety decay, it would be optimal to instead use it as infrequently as possible in hopes of getting slightly more frequent equipment gifts, but with piety decay you run the risk of taking extra damage if you are too cheap with your activated abilities, which results in more resting and more decay.
So get rid of the random2(you.piety) > 120 check for gifts. This is hardly an obstacle.
KoboldLord wrote:Considered as a whole system, piety is a really effective pacing tool. If you play the game normally as it was intended, you get a steady flow which can be fed into using your abilities. Using your abilities frequently causes them to recharge faster, and using them less often makes you run into a soft cap that prevents you from stockpiling. Tedious tricks to cheese the system don't work because you need to be playing the game normally to maintain your normal income.
This is an extreme overestimation of the effect of current piety decay (though you could use it as an argument for making piety decay around 20 times faster).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 09:37

andreas wrote:To reiterate, the point is not that there should not be a mechanism which plays the role of clock and prevents the optimal player from spending forever on only very slightly beneficial tasks.

Every mechanism should also discourage the player from engaging in tedious busywork, regardless of each mechanism's main function. If a mechanism results in tedious busywork, that mechanism is flawed and should be fixed.

andreas wrote:Second---and this is the reason I suspect it is not enough if piety decay is fixed or streamlined or clarified, but should be removed altogether---the piety system has a similar sort of overloaded structure as food does right now. Piety gives you access to tactically useful abilities, useful passives, and gifts. So your amount of piety is a strategic resource limiting how often you can use Heroism, how many books you'll get and when, etc. Piety decay makes it play another role in addition, as a clock that drives you deeper into the dungeon lest your character get weaker. Just as it would be better if food cleanly implemented a strategic clock and was not a tactical resource, it would be better if the piety mechanic cleanly implemented a limit on god-abilities/gifts and did not try to serve as a general purpose clock as well.

Your critical flaw is what I like about the system. If you don't use your abilities, you start losing them anyway. If you don't regularly call for Brothers in Arms, you get fewer total Brothers in Arms. The game already has too many consumables for the player to stockpile and never use outside of emergencies. Piety does not need to be remade into such a consumable.

duvessa wrote:This is an extreme overestimation of the effect of current piety decay (though you could use it as an argument for making piety decay around 20 times faster).

It would certainly be worth experimenting with faster decay across the board.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 09:42

KoboldLord wrote:Piety decay is useful because it removes the incentive to scrimp and save piety by tedious methods. When poisoned but not lethally so, most players choose to rest it off rather than burn a potion of curing because potions of curing can be stockpiled and are limited in availability. If piety was a resource that could be stockpiled, players would be just as hesitant to use abilities.

Piety decay really doesn't make players spend it, rather than save it. If anything I am more cautious about using piety, because I know it runs out with time. The analogy with potions of curing doesn't work, because piety has a ceiling.

I would prefer it if the game somehow indicated 200/200 piety, rather than 160/200. At full piety I would be happy to use god abilities, but often I don't know where I am between 160 and 200.
Maybe at 200 the bar should show different symbols [++++++] or be in a different colour. Or even add a seventh * to denote 200/200.

For this message the author 4Hooves2Appendages has received thanks: 2
infinitevox, WingedEspeon

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 13:29

I think andreas raises some good points about piety clock in a crawl that has other pacing methods, but as KoboldLord points out, right now piety is our most functional clock at present. As andreas points out, that clock could be a lot more consistent and clear, and that's something worth doing IMO; as duvessa points out, the clock is pretty loose right now, and it's possible that it would be better to speed it up to some degree.

A lot of good points being made here, I think, and good food for thought.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 15:46

Lasty wrote:I think andreas raises some good points about piety clock in a crawl that has other pacing methods, but as KoboldLord points out, right now piety is our most functional clock at present. As andreas points out, that clock could be a lot more consistent and clear, and that's something worth doing IMO; as duvessa points out, the clock is pretty loose right now, and it's possible that it would be better to speed it up to some degree.

A lot of good points being made here, I think, and good food for thought.

Another perhaps relevant point is that piety decay can't function as the unifying clock on its own without some other serious changes, as not everyone has piety decay, and even for decaying piety gods not all of them gain piety at the same rate.

I am actually not sure that having multiple different clocks applying different pressures is a bad thing, it is certainly more complicated, but i don't know that it is bad (i don't know that it is good either)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, WingedEspeon, ydeve

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 17:24

KoboldLord: Ah, I see what you are getting at now, I think. Sorry, I was being a bit dense. I do think that the strength of god abilities in keeping the player alive is usually more than sufficient motivation to use them regularly, and adding a timer isn't really necessary. Stockpiling consumables in general seems to me like something players (including me) do way more than is a good idea. At the slow rate of piety decay right now, I don't find that piety feels different than a consumable you can slowly amass; I suspect duvessa is right that piety decay would really have to be ramped up if you wanted it to feel like normal play is being paced by fluctuations in piety.

Siegurt, re: ''the unifying clock'': I agree, of course :D. That's a concrete example of what I meant by saying that piety is ''overloaded,'' because the mechanics around it are trying to do too much at once. There is really good reason for followers of Ru not to have piety decay, but it's an unintended and silly side effect that they are therefore exempt from what is arguably the currently most functional clock in the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 18:40

Piety decay should probably either get faster or go away, yeah. Right now it pretty much doesn't exist so it's best to pick it either actually not existing or actually being a thing that matters. Crawl is much closer to no-decay so that's the easier direction.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
genericpseudonym

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 19:02

andreas wrote:There is really good reason for followers of Ru not to have piety decay, but it's an unintended and silly side effect that they are therefore exempt from what is arguably the currently most functional clock in the game.

Would it really be so bad if Ru lost a point of piety every 2000 turns or so? Yeah, it means a little extra sacrificing in the late game, but it's not as if Ru is one of the weaker gods, at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2016, 22:40

It really annoys me how we have at least 3 descent clocks in this game, two of them tied into other mechanics (food and piety), and none of them doing anything in practice except annoying players. The food clock dosen't do anything as has been posted many times on here - you really have to put effort in to starve unless you are hilariously bad at the game, and even that isn't always enough. The piety decay clock is so insignificant that most players won't know it exists, and you can usually avoid any OOD spawns that are generated by that clock.

Something like a "Zot clock" that generates bad effects if you don't descend to an unexplored floor quickly enough, and ending when you open the door to Zot, would be preferable. I think it's good for it to end here because:
1. No one wants to deal with that stuff in extended
2. It gives a thematic excuse for (1)

Maybe you should also stop it when you pick up a rune at a branch end until you enter a new, unexplored floor, so that traveling to a new branch that you haven't done yet dosen't lead in bad things happening, and give a bit of extra time in branch ends to account for vaults.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2016, 00:37

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:
KoboldLord wrote:Piety decay is useful because it removes the incentive to scrimp and save piety by tedious methods. When poisoned but not lethally so, most players choose to rest it off rather than burn a potion of curing because potions of curing can be stockpiled and are limited in availability. If piety was a resource that could be stockpiled, players would be just as hesitant to use abilities.

Piety decay really doesn't make players spend it, rather than save it. If anything I am more cautious about using piety, because I know it runs out with time. The analogy with potions of curing doesn't work, because piety has a ceiling.

I would prefer it if the game somehow indicated 200/200 piety, rather than 160/200. At full piety I would be happy to use god abilities, but often I don't know where I am between 160 and 200.
Maybe at 200 the bar should show different symbols [++++++] or be in a different colour. Or even add a seventh * to denote 200/200.

Maybe a color scale can be used for all piety, like indicator lights for temporary statuses.

[***...]
- you are at *** and you're less than 1/3 of the way to ****

[***...]
- you are at *** and less than 2/3 of the way to ****

[***...] - you are at *** and you're at least 2/3 of the way to ****

The fluctuating color of the sixth * can help you know how close you are to 200, and whether you can risk spamming godabils or not

edit- a Blue / Green / Yellow scale would look better on the forums, but a bright green * in your sidebar piety would be pretty distracting.
remove handsome distillation

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 07:56

Would someone be willing to host an experimental branch that had:
1. No piety decay
2. No food clock
so we can see just how degenerate (I actually don't think this'll be an issue at all) gameplay gets?
infinitevox on akrasiac & berotato
Busy dying horrible deaths from chugging too many pots of Mutation.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 17:46

that experimental branch is called mummy of sif

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd June 2016, 18:00

infinitevox wrote:Would someone be willing to host an experimental branch that had:
1. No piety decay
2. No food clock
so we can see just how degenerate (I actually don't think this'll be an issue at all) gameplay gets?

It is tested in CA fork.
To compensate no piety decay all active abilities costs were doubled.
No food clock triggered a bunch of changes like
1) removing monster generation except when creating levels
2) automatic autoheal when using stairs with no monsters in view
3) high level spells cost much more mana with low spellcasting
4) some levels don't give XP (Abyss, for example).
5) berserk cannot be spammed because it requires some new resource (stamina)
etc.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 00:06

infinitevox wrote:Would someone be willing to host an experimental branch that had:
1. No piety decay
2. No food clock

It won't be degenerate in games played by any real player because no one will be willing to do something like camping on the stairs for 20k+ turns in Lair and Lair branches for a vanishlying small increase in win rate.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 00:14

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/ ... 235340.txt

People do scum. It's one thing to decide you don't care about it if someone decides they want to do it. Saying it's not done is just incorrect.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 00:23

What in the actual fuck am I looking at. Seriously, please explain why or how someone would spend 20+ Million turns on specifically snake:2.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 00:42

andreas wrote:http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/koboldina/morgue-koboldina-20160428-235340.txt

People do scum. It's one thing to decide you don't care about it if someone decides they want to do it. Saying it's not done is just incorrect.

Yes, people scum as mummies. If you look at the morgue, you can see that they are skipping Lair and Vaults. This precisely illustrates my point - people aren't scumming floors for a tiny increase in win rate, but for the experience of scumming.

You don't see people asking for the removal of mummies or gozag because of the possibilities of scumming, despite this being probably the strongest argument for the removal of a species currently in the game. Mummies encourage scumming more strongly than any other race. Despite this, as far as I can tell, people are OK with mummy scumming, because mummies are so weak. But the only difference between a scummy mummy and a scummy minotaur is more time spent scumming, unless the spawn clock is run out. Again, people are not doing to do this for a tiny increase in win rate if minotaurs were allowed to scum, they are going to do it for the sake of it.
remove food

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 01:46

I'm sure she scummed more than she had to, yes, and she has said that she at least sometimes enjoys that sort of play. I don't see what that has to do with it.

If you look at the morgue, you can see that they are skipping Lair and Vaults. This precisely illustrates my point - people aren't scumming floors for a tiny increase in win rate, but for the experience of scumming.

And I don't see at all how this precisely illustrates your point. The player was trying to execute a challenge and scummed in order to have a better chance of doing so successfully. (Not just a better chance; on her reddit yavp post she said that this sort of scumming is ''almost definitely necessary for a DUHZ win mummy.'') I say that the tactics that increase chance of a win for a DUHZ mummy also do so for a non-challenge game (and that such tactics are not necessary to win is besides the point).

In any case, duvessa provided you with two other examples of real people scumming, and I'm sure you can do the sequell searches to find more.

I have no idea why it matters whether or not people are calling for the removal of mummies. Your claim was that real people would not scum when clocks are removed; well, here are several instances of people scumming in the closest conditions that exist in crawl.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 02:02

I still don't think people will start spending a ton of turns scumming to maximize their win rate. DUHZ is definitely not winrate-maximizing. There are a ton of strategies that are well-known and basically not done because their tradeoff in tediousness is not worth the trivially small increase in win rate. Will there exist at least one person who uses degenerate strategies for the sake of it, at least once? Yes. So maybe I should say, basically no one will abuse degenerate strategies for a trivial increase in win rate.

I'm aware that this is the Nethack approach to degenerate play that is firmly rejected by the Crawl design document. Is this OK if it gets rid of things like eating and piety decay? I think the answer is yes, so obviously I think the Crawl design doc is bad in this regard.
remove food

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 02:28

Fair enough.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 03:30

tabstorm wrote:I still don't think people will start spending a ton of turns scumming to maximize their win rate. DUHZ is definitely not winrate-maximizing. There are a ton of strategies that are well-known and basically not done because their tradeoff in tediousness is not worth the trivially small increase in win rate. Will there exist at least one person who uses degenerate strategies for the sake of it, at least once? Yes. So maybe I should say, basically no one will abuse degenerate strategies for a trivial increase in win rate.

I'm aware that this is the Nethack approach to degenerate play that is firmly rejected by the Crawl design document. Is this OK if it gets rid of things like eating and piety decay? I think the answer is yes, so obviously I think the Crawl design doc is bad in this regard.

qw approves of your analysis.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 14:31

VeryAngryFelid wrote:It is tested in CA fork.

You already got rid of all penalties to resting, as well as all incentives to rest when fully healed. What is the point of automatic autoheal and what does it do that can't be done by pressing 5?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 15:19

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:It is tested in CA fork.

You already got rid of all penalties to resting, as well as all incentives to rest when fully healed. What is the point of automatic autoheal and what does it do that can't be done by pressing 5?

This is offtopic so it's my last post about CA in the thread. I listed only changes which were triggered by no food clock: lack of monster generation means it is absolutely safe to rest on cleared floors, why force player press 5? But those are not the only changes in CA, for example, autoheal also happens when there are no monsters in view and there are no monsters 1 tile away from view (and there are no monsters who were seen by player but still alive) so player does not need to retreat back to stairs for healing. Basically 5 is rarely used.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 15:25

Removing monster gen and removing all sorts of clock is super bad because then you have the doomRL problem where the best way to play is to somehow wake up all the monsters, then you just stand in one place and let them enter your los while you wait in place for tens of thousands of turns. This ensures that all combat occurs in your pre-selected good terrain and also ensures that you get the first action on every monster, instead of you getting the first action on ~50% of monsters.

In fact I think if you remove monster gen you can't remove food clock, since monster gen itself is a clock, and one that's actually more effective than anything else crawl currently has.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Lasty, nago, PleasingFungus, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 15:32

crate wrote:Removing monster gen and removing all sorts of clock is super bad because then you have the doomRL problem where the best way to play is to somehow wake up all the monsters, then you just stand in one place and let them enter your los while you wait in place for tens of thousands of turns. This ensures that all combat occurs in your pre-selected good terrain and also ensures that you get the first action on every monster, instead of you getting the first action on ~50% of monsters.

In fact I think if you remove monster gen you can't remove food clock, since monster gen itself is a clock, and one that's actually more effective than anything else crawl currently has.

Ok, it looks like it was not my last thread about CA...
What you described does not apply to CA because fighting swarms of enemies in CA is extremely bad. Casters run out of mana points, melee characters run out of stamina. When out of stamina, character gets "Exhausted" status which means that AC/EV are significantly reduced, attack speed is reduced, damage is reduced, vampiric weapon/regeneration does not heal, haste spell does not work etc. Of course all characters are slower than normal speed monsters even in non-exhausted mode so you cannot pillar dance waiting for stamina/MP to regen, you cannot retreat upstairs when receiving damage etc.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 17:04

duvessa wrote:that experimental branch is called mummy of gozag

FIFY

But seriously, Piety decay is a bad clock because it doesn't apply to all characters. If tedious busywork shouldn't be optimal for character with piety decay it shouldn't be optimal for characters without piety decay. Since it isn't functioning as a clock all it is doing is making characters that are weak and need to rest more even weaker because they lose more piety.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ydeve

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 19:53

VeryAngryFelid wrote:This is offtopic so it's my last post about CA in the thread.... Ok, it looks like it was not my last thread about CA...

What CA is like because it took a different approach to clocks seems to me to be relevant to the topic of clocks, and potentially to be very useful to hear about. If you don't want to talk more about it that's fine, but I don't think you should feel like you're derailing the conversation. Anyway it seems like conversation strictly limited to piety decay is a bit out of steam.

For this message the author andreas has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd June 2016, 20:13

Maybe I am in minority here but I don't see lack of any clock as a problem on its own. The problem is that the clock is needed to solve some other issues like grinding monster spawns for XP, Xom for gifts or waiting for monsters to come into view. If there is a way to solve the issues without introducing any clocks, it should be applied instead IMHO.
For example, I don't like to be punished for having just 1 ring of protection from fire instead of 2, it is more convenient to let it stay on the ground and autotravel to it before entering Zot or Pan. Other examples are books for learning high level spells, ring of sustain abilities for Tomb, second ring of protection from cold for Cocytus/Pan, scrolls of holy word for orb run, multiple food stacks etc.

Return to Game Design Discussion