more interaction with gods

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 12:58

more interaction with gods

I mean it more general. The god system in dungeon crawl feels really good, especially xom. I think it would be great to have more interactions with gods in the game. It could be a solution for every Dungeon crawl problem. Is the game to hard or to easy, it the midgame to boring, should it be more complex or simple...- let the god do something! (there are already some "god interactions" in game. For example: When leaning axe skill, there is often an an extremely good blade on the 4th dungeon level (that "dev action" could be marked as a "god action")
Another suggestion: The gods are the spectators of the player! At the beginning the gods are neutral to the player. But his playing inflicts the mood of the gods. For example: Uses the player melee skills->some trog,Okawara points. Enters the player the orcish mine, beogh will hate him.eating meat, some fedas dislike, does trog like the player of course sif Muna dislike. and so on.
A God is a God. Of course every God has the power to instantly kill the player. But it is the game of the Olympus. For them like TV or a football match.
Last edited by tach3 on Monday, 9th May 2016, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 14:30

Re: more interaction with gods

what

For this message the author milski has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Shard1697, Tiktacy, ydeve

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 14:40

Oedipus complex? We want to kill our dads and marry our moms??

Anyway, more interaction with gods is a good idea in the abstract, kinda like "crawl races should have MORE quirks!", but in implementation you start to see the annoyances that most executions of this idea would bring about. Let's look through your suggestions, for example.
If gods did something in a deterministic fashion at different points in the game to make that segment harder or easier, it would be extremely spoilery and a very literally deus ex machina way of solving balance issues. And it would be even worse if the gods acted randomly instead, since it would feel like everyone is playing with Xom.
And your second suggestion boils down to 'more god conduct', which is an annoyance already, and not something to be increased. You seem to suggest that god conduct should be tracked even when you're not following the god, which seems to boil down to "don't do anything TSO dislikes if you want to switch to TSO in extended". Again, this would be more of an annoyance than anything, as time-gated things in this game tend to be.
limboring→optimal sanity = 0

For this message the author Veras has received thanks:
tach3

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 15:19

My second suggest is like playing xom all the time. Infact I thought every god could have the mood and interest level. My first suggest is more to have special god events in game. The game would become more epic!( I edited my first post)"Trog cames down to earth and give you "Help" the +9 mace."(Of course it would be good if the god interaction would make sense)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 18:43

I always thought the quest part of nethack was cool. You have to do a special mission for your god. And if you succeed you get a sweet artifact that only members of your religion can use.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th May 2016, 23:33

lethediver wrote: And if you succeed you get a sweet artifact that only members of your religion can use.

Not really true. (wishing)

For this message the author ydeve has received thanks:
Rast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 02:42

I think the idea of a roguelike (or a game in any genre, for that matter) where there's a pantheon of gods watching and reacting to your every action Xom-style is really cool. I've seen games where you have different piety or favor or whatever for different gods instead of just picking one to worship like in DCSS, but nothing with quite the depth you seem to be suggesting.

However, I don't think making DCSS that game is a good idea. While DCSS does have a neat Pantheon of gods that get involved already, I agree with Veras' comment. Gods occasionally coming down and doing things, or your actions getting reactions from gods you're not even worshipping, would almost certainly end up somewhere on the spectrum from "spoilery" to "immensely frustrating" most of the time. It's an incredibly neat idea flavorwise, and a cool concept gameplay-wise, but I don't think it fits into DCSS right now. Xom is the only god that acts like Xom for a good reason.

tach3 wrote: (there are already some "god interactions" in game. For example: When leaning axe skill, there is often an an extremely good blade on the 4th dungeon level (that "dev action" could be marked as a "god action")

What exactly do you mean by "dev action" here? That's not a "dev action," that's a random action (unless you're implying that there's actually code in the game that deliberately gives people training axes a good blade on D4, in which case I'm 99% certain that you're incorrect). The idea of random events like finding good items being attributed to gods instead of just RNG is neat, but it might be confusing and lead some people to assume that their actions somehow got a reaction from a god, rather than Trog deciding to drop a random Demon Blade on D4 by pure chance.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 05:59

Quazifuji wrote:I think the idea of a roguelike (or a game in any genre, for that matter) where there's a pantheon of gods watching and reacting to your every action Xom-style is really cool.
This is actually done in one roguelike that I know of, POWDER. It's pretty bad gameplay the way it's specifically implemented, but it shows what the idea looks like in practice.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
dracos369

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 16:03

Yes, I mean the code. The game feels not so random, like in early versions.( The ring of regeneration at the entrance...) I always thought, that there is a big balance masterplan behind.

And I was not writing about supporter gods!! In normal games the player is the god. In DC there are gods above the player.(I was more thinking like: „ Oh! my trog points are -96.When they get under -100 I get BIG TROUBLE. Come on TSO only +89 points I need your help against Trog!!!“ I see the balance is to complicated.)

But please when dying let the god say something. „Fighting with club a ogre with a giant club?!? - stupid mortal!“ So much fun. I am always reading spellbooks when workshipping Trog.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2016, 19:46

tach3 wrote:I am always reading spellbooks when workshipping Trog.
I think that your idea of what is fun in Crawl is very different from most players.

I would definitely not be against more 'flavorful' messages upon death from gods, though. Gods saying something unique when you die to their wrath is not a bad idea.

Return to Game Design Discussion