Giving All Species Gourmand

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 05:15

Giving All Species Gourmand

I've noticed that in general, I tend to find the whole food thing in crawl to be a lot less tedious when gourmand was involved. There is something very unsatisfying about having entire corpses go to waste and have chunks rot away when your satiation isn't at its maximum.

I think this would also reduce the tedium of eating food as well without damaging the balance of the game. Rather than having to cut up every corpse, one could simply kill a large group and get full off of them. One would still need to devour corpses on a pretty regular basis, but the amount would be fewer and farther inbetween.

More than anything, this suggest comes from the fact that I just simply have more fun on characters that find gourmand amulet early on, and there is nothing else in the game that is like that for me. It not that its "good" per say, but there is something about it that just makes the game more enjoyable, and I think that this may be the next step towards streamlining the chunk process.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks: 4
Airwolf, le_nerd, Shard1697, WingedEspeon

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 06:02

Re: Giving All Species Gourmand

Not a great solution to the food problem, but sufficient in the short/midterm. Do support.

For this message the author le_nerd has received thanks:
WingedEspeon

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 06:13

This would be quite a large and unnecessary buff to berserkers and mages, and to me it would just change the need to be "satiated" all the time to the need to be "engorged" all the time. I guess if even when you have gourmand you wait until you're hungry to chop up a corpse and eat it it could make a slight reduction to the annoyance of hunger, but I somewhat doubt that is how most crawlers play with gourmand.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 06:28

glass wrote:This would be quite a large and unnecessary buff to berserkers and mages, and to me it would just change the need to be "satiated" all the time to the need to be "engorged" all the time. I guess if even when you have gourmand you wait until you're hungry to chop up a corpse and eat it it could make a slight reduction to the annoyance of hunger, but I somewhat doubt that is how most crawlers play with gourmand.

It takes a long time to go from maximum satiation to hungry, but it takes almost no time to go from neutral satiation(when there is nothing shown for hunger or fullness) to hunngry.

I do see what you are saying though, it doesn't represent the hyper optimal players concerns, but sometimes just having the option to skip a few corpses is nice and can make a big difference in how much people enjoy the game.

Also, this is not a buff. Food and starvation is a limiting factor created to discourage certain tedious behavior and grinding, and the "difficulty" from it is completely artificial and nothing more than a byproduct.

I struggle to see how exactly this would effect balance other than slightly reducing the usage of perma food, which is already so huge in supply that it will almost never matter. Aside from that, it should simply make feeding frenzy's fewer and farther inbetween.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the tavern!
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 09:03

The gourmand food clock is triple the size of the standard food clock. That's large enough that food cost is never a factor even if the player spams the highest available food cost abilities, whereas in the status quo certain character types actually do need to refrain from using too many of their highest-cost attacks to avoid hitting starving partway through a single fight. If all species get intrinsic gourmand, the food clock will have been functionally removed already, so might as well go all the way and just remove the food clock.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 10:57

Search found 876 matches: clock

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 12:18

Imagine how much more fun you would have if you never ate at all!
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks: 2
archaeo, WingedEspeon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 14:06

Welcome to the remove food topic of the week!
You shall never see my color again.

For this message the author dynast has received thanks: 2
Malevolent, TeshiAlair

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 15:07

KoboldLord wrote:The gourmand food clock is triple the size of the standard food clock. That's large enough that food cost is never a factor even if the player spams the highest available food cost abilities, whereas in the status quo certain character types actually do need to refrain from using too many of their highest-cost attacks to avoid hitting starving partway through a single fight. If all species get intrinsic gourmand, the food clock will have been functionally removed already, so might as well go all the way and just remove the food clock.

I struggle to see how this is a bad thing. I've never been prevented from using high hunger cost spells or ability's due to hunger cost. I've been forced to eat food during a fight before, but whats fun about that? It just required one extra turn to eat a piece of fruit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 15:58

the only thing food actually does in crawl right now is very occasionally limit a few things tactically, so this proposal is just removing food except not removing the annoyance

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 3
archaeo, duvessa, Tiktacy

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 16:31

glass wrote:This would be quite a large and unnecessary buff to berserkers and mages, and to me it would just change the need to be "satiated" all the time to the need to be "engorged" all the time. I guess if even when you have gourmand you wait until you're hungry to chop up a corpse and eat it it could make a slight reduction to the annoyance of hunger, but I somewhat doubt that is how most crawlers play with gourmand.

This would be a tiny tiny buff. You can just use permafood on Be when you get below berserking satiation anyway. Food is not a limiting factor on how often you can berserk.

KoboldLord wrote:The gourmand food clock is triple the size of the standard food clock. That's large enough that food cost is never a factor even if the player spams the highest available food cost abilities, whereas in the status quo certain character types actually do need to refrain from using too many of their highest-cost attacks to avoid hitting starving partway through a single fight. If all species get intrinsic gourmand, the food clock will have been functionally removed already, so might as well go all the way and just remove the food clock.

He saw though the master plan!
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
duvessa

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 16:46

I've been forced to eat food during a fight before, but whats fun about that? It just required one extra turn to eat a piece of fruit.

nothing fun about eating during a fight? i'm not sure you've thought this through all the way. https://youtu.be/6DK-0Ig85gI?t=2m16s

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 17:40

yesno wrote:
I've been forced to eat food during a fight before, but whats fun about that? It just required one extra turn to eat a piece of fruit.

nothing fun about eating during a fight? i'm not sure you've thought this through all the way. https://youtu.be/6DK-0Ig85gI?t=2m16s

I was expecting some scene from a jackie chan movie, not sure if there are any though.
You shall never see my color again.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 17:47

For this message the author yesno has received thanks: 2
dynast, Rast

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 18:08

Contamination: ###....

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 19:59

I'm on vacation, but since I'm waiting for my friend to return her car at this airport, I have enough time to lock this thread. I appreciate it was a serious proposal, but I think the serious discussion about it is already over, as I think crate has basically summed up the core problem here. Also, despite food removal being the One True Reform Movement, we probably don't need yet another thread on the topic at the moment, esp. if it's mostly silly YouTube videos.

E: I have to drive through the desert for the rest of the day, so direct unlocking appeals to another mod if necessary.

Return to Game Design Discussion