Potion of beneficial mutation > Potion of evolution

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 08:04

Potion of beneficial mutation > Potion of evolution

Potion of evolution: adds one level of evolution mutation.
Right now benmut motion isn't differs too much from potion of mutation. Replacing it by potion of evolution would make bigger difference while adding more fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 08:08

Re: Potion of beneficial mutation > Potion of evolution

it's different from potion of mutation because quaffing it is actually a good idea

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 08:33

duvessa wrote:it's different from potion of mutation because quaffing it is actually a good idea

Quaffing potion of mutation is generally a good idea. In many cases body-slot mutations can be considered as bad mutations (they prevent some armour). So it is just percentage of a good mutations that is different. In the same time granting evolution would offer more different effect, without "beneficial" word in it's name.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 08:45

blinkfrog wrote:Quaffing potion of mutation is generally a good idea.

I disagree. Maybe one can argue that you generally get good results from it, but that's not enough to make it a good idea.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 09:45

Hurkyl wrote:
blinkfrog wrote:Quaffing potion of mutation is generally a good idea.

I disagree. Maybe one can argue that you generally get good results from it, but that's not enough to make it a good idea.

I'm sorry, there was a typo. I meant "Quaffing potion of beneficial mutation is generally a good idea.".
Last edited by blinkfrog on Monday, 11th April 2016, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 09:50

Quaffing !mut is a bad idea. Also, evolution is too powerful at least based on my statistical sample of one.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 11th April 2016, 20:14

Reliable sources of evolution are something that I think should only be available as a godly ability or bonus. What a coincidence, because that's how it is now.

I thought this might be neat, but I think Jiyva should be the only guaranteed source of something that is the highlight of worshipping Jiyva. Evolution is his thing. I realize that !bmut isn't exactly common but it's not unheard of either. And evolution generally sticks around for a long, long time, so you can pretty much assume every player is gonna have evolution for large chunks of the game. Only Jiyva should have Jiyva things (minus the very rare evolution mut from !mut or !bmut).

You aren't intended to get evolution often by the games designers, so why would they make a potion to do just that?

You can draw a similar conclusion between Gozag and shops, but Gozag gives you far, far more simply by himself in the way of equipment than any combination of random dungeon and orcish mine shops ever will. Jiyva gives you the ability to remove bad muts but in my experiences evolution's 75% good mut rate combined with its propensity to remove bad muts at extremely convenient times more than makes up for this. It's like Jiyva lite. No.

Yes, you can combine the two for mut shenanigans up the wazoo, sure, and that would be okay from a gameplay standpoint if you're already a Jiyva worshipper, but how many people generally are?

Edit: Also, evolution is a essentially a drawn out version of quaffing !mut and deciding whether or not you want to chuck what you get with !cmut. The results are generally the same, anyway.

For this message the author PowerOfKaishin has received thanks:
blinkfrog

Return to Game Design Discussion