Mummy restore self ability should heal confusion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 17:08

Mummy restore self ability should heal confusion

As title says. I understand that mummies are challenge species, but if someone wants to do extended game (hell branches in particular) either he has to be really lucky and find one of three unrandarts or he is forced to worship Ash.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 17:13

Re: Mummy restore self ability should heal confusion

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18538

This has been proposed at least 3 times in the last month or so and the devs haven't responded to any of the threads for some reason. I have yet to hear any objections to the idea, it sounds like a serious improvement to me, but there must be SOMETHING stopping it from happening or else odds are it would have happened already.

If I had to guess, the devs probably already have an idea brewing for improving mummies in their own way that we will see in the near future, or its on their to-do list and just haven't responded because its low on their list of priorities and don't want to agree to do something they might not get to by the next stable release.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 18:08

Technically there's also Gozag for potions of curing, and the option to scum abyss for [insert lvl9 spell] make sure to have high mr vs golden eye/lich, subsequently scum ziggs for aformented unrands. Then do hells.
Last edited by Lacuenta on Monday, 1st February 2016, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 19:17

Not speaking for the devs who actually make such decisions, but gluing "cures confusion" onto self-restore sounds like an awkward bandaid solution to me. In other words, I vaguely agree that the situation needs fixing, but the particular solution you proposed doesn't really appeal to me (sorry), and I'd rather wait until a better, cleaner one is thought up... but I don't have any suggestions of my own, so, uh.

I know that comes off as sort of a crappy non-answer, which is probably why others have hesitated to reply. When you click on a thread and think the above, you generally just click away rather than typing it out.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 19:25

ontoclasm wrote:Not speaking for the devs who actually make such decisions, but gluing "cures confusion" onto self-restore sounds like an awkward bandaid solution to me. In other words, I vaguely agree that the situation needs fixing, but the particular solution you proposed doesn't really appeal to me (sorry), and I'd rather wait until a better, cleaner one is thought up... but I don't have any suggestions of my own, so, uh.

I know that comes off as sort of a crappy non-answer, which is probably why others have hesitated to reply. When you click on a thread and think the above, you generally just click away rather than typing it out.

Also it would be a strange exception, since you can't use (a)billities when confused.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 19:28

You can use some, like Ely's purification and Ru's draw out power.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 19:35

Lasty wrote:You can use some, like Ely's purification and Ru's draw out power.

Hmm I never noticed, maybe you could add Gozags potpet to that list? Anyway it isn't much of an issue imho and I play a lot of mummies, most confu can be prevented by mr+ it isn't often lethal and its not like you always found clarity back when it was still in the game. Even when it was in, I hardly ever wore it.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 20:06

I was talking about extended game - hell to be precise. Hell confusion effect bypass MR (as far as I know). I'm not saying my suggestion is perfect or even good. I don't also want to make game easier (because I think game should be challenge and challenge = fun. But if you want to tackle in hell relatively safely you HAVE TO switch to Ash unless you are lucky enough to find on of three items in the game which grants clarity - that's not really a challenge...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 20:08

Now that restore abilities is gone and rot mechanics have been changed, self-restoration existing at all is just weird.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Lasty, nago, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 1st February 2016, 21:18

ontoclasm wrote:Not speaking for the devs who actually make such decisions, but gluing "cures confusion" onto self-restore sounds like an awkward bandaid solution to me. In other words, I vaguely agree that the situation needs fixing, but the particular solution you proposed doesn't really appeal to me (sorry), and I'd rather wait until a better, cleaner one is thought up... but I don't have any suggestions of my own, so, uh.

I actually think bcadrens suggestion is a much better solution:

bcadren wrote:make mummies immune to rot and confusion and get rid of that silly self-restoration ability.

Thoughts on this? I like this solution a lot better than the OP's, I assumed maybe this was too big of a change or the devs to be on board with though but maybe not.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 2nd February 2016, 17:16

My guess (I'm no dev and am not speaking for them) is that currently, confusion is in a weird design space (as in, it's this almost totally debilitating status that is totally negated by a super common potion and recently a common amulet) and that specific fixes to confusion for mummies would not only take some time and energy, but also remove the urgency to fix confusion in a more general way.

It's also really strange that !curing fixes it since it is not related to poison in any particular way. If anything, it should be cured by !cancellation instead but it's probably too common and dangerous of an effect for that to be realistic now so here we are. If there's a short-term change to make, I think this should change so the need to address confusion becomes more urgent, rather than band-aid-ing mummies to make it less so.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion