Kobold Necro vault removed

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 21:54

Kobold Necro vault removed

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/3 ... 4c12efa26b

Why exactly was this removed, the commit comments don't really explain?

This vault was extremely rare as it was (I have only seen it once), and it both unique and interesting. For those who haven't seen it, or can't read .des files, the vault is scattered with rats, and live kobolds (originally had a small chance to spawn an orange rat, but was nerfed). That alone with the layout could arguably make an interesting vault. However, along with the rats and large kobolds, were a few scattered corpses.

The large kobolds were given the animate dead spell, which a nice flavour to the vault by making you choose carefully about manoeuvring and killing so that you minimized the chances of fighting too many enemies at once.

I absolutely love the theme here, and think it is a wonderful vault that someone put a good deal of time and though into. Sad to see it so quickly and silently blown away.

I'm curious if this was problematic for people, and what the justification for removing it was?

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2016, 21:58

Re: Kobold Necro vault removed

Moose wrote:I'm curious if this was problematic for people, and what the justification for removing it was?

Monsters don't cast animate dead anymore. As MPA noted in that commit:
  Code:
Remove Animate Dead and Simulacrum from monster spellsets

Neither of these spells are likely to actually create dangerous threats, and
more often just give the player a bit of extra XP.

e: another justification I've read for the removal of animate dead is that it encourages annoying player behaviors, like butchering every corpse.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Moose

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 03:30

Good, what a terrible vault.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 07:03

archaeo wrote:e: another justification I've read for the removal of animate dead is that it encourages annoying player behaviors, like butchering every corpse.
I don't miss this vault but this definitely isn't true. I've never ever seen anyone do this and the ideas "it mostly just gives the player some free XP" and "it encourages butchering every corpse" are mutually exclusive(if you were really going for some HAM stuff you could say "it encourages kiting animate dead monsters around to each corpse still on the level for free XP"(but it would still be untrue))

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th January 2016, 08:52

all of that is completely true though

Return to Game Design Discussion