Wanted: Multi skill titles

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 18:05

Wanted: Multi skill titles

This has zero effect on gameplay, but I think it would be minorly neat - it's a sort of "achievement" system:

If you have a predefined set of skills all of which are above something like 2/3 of your top skill (perhaps it varies based on difficulty of the title), instead of your usual title like "Bozo the Blocker", you get a combined title like "Bozo the Journeyman of the Elements". Some examples would be:

* of the Elements: you have level N in fire, water, air, earth magic. Preceded by Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, Doctor, Archmagus.

* at Arms: You have level N (counting cross-train bonuses) in all melee weapons excluding unarmed combat and fighting. Recruit, Ensign, Sergeant, Captain... I dunno, someone who knows military think this one through.

* of Thieves: Level N in stealth, short blades, dodging, fighting?

* of all Trades: Level N in everything, no "*" required! Knave, Jack, Prince, King

For this message the author Chicken has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 18:18

Re: Wanted: Multi skill titles

Chicken wrote:* of all Trades: Level N in everything, no "*" required! Knave, Jack, Prince, King

oh god

one one hand, I love titles

on other hand, all that grinding...

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 18:18

!Nethack.
"Damned, damned be the legions of the damned..."

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 19:44

This is a bad idea because if multiple skills could affect my title then I'd have titles other than "lessens the Slayer".

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 20:48

Unless a particular title was made a tournament banner...this affects nothing at all.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 21:04

"I want to earn thirty different titles" is just as reasonable a goal as "I want to earn tournament points," "I want to win all races," or "I want to win a three game streak."

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 6th August 2015, 22:32

Yeah, I don't want to be even more encouraged to do dumb things to get a cool title (not that any of the suggested titles sound very cool)
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 05:43

scorpionwarrior wrote:Yeah, I don't want to be even more encouraged to do dumb things to get a cool title (not that any of the suggested titles sound very cool)

I usually stop training everything except Invo from some point of my run just to get a decent god title. I also spam god abilities before exiting the dungeon because I may find 4* title being much more cool than a 6*.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 07:57

ugly thing: 10 bad mutation

very ugly thing: 27 bad mutation

For this message the author onget has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, bcadren, dowan, Sivar

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 14:23

LOL, but "Ugly Thing" should be your race, not your title. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th August 2015, 14:28

jejorda2 wrote:"I want to earn thirty different titles" is just as reasonable a goal as "I want to earn tournament points," "I want to win all races," or "I want to win a three game streak."

Except the latter does not require any work from devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion