Ammo Auto-Pickup & Restricted Brands

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 03:34

Ammo Auto-Pickup & Restricted Brands

Currently, there is no way to discriminate between what brands auto-pickup grabs in regards to ammo. If you choose to auto-pickup arrows, you will pick up all arrows regardless of brand. This isn't very annoying until you worship a god such as Dith or TSO who does not appreciate particular brands of ammo.

It would be extremely convenient if a player was either a) able to decide what brands of ammo to auto-grab or b) followers of Dith and TSO do not auto-pickup flame and poison ammo brands, respectively.
Wir saufen, und wir sind noch da!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 04:21

Re: Ammo Auto-Pickup & Restricted Brands

fun fact: tso doesn't mind you using poisoned ammo (or pretty much any other poison thing, like the Poison Arrow spell) if it doesn't actually poison the thing you hit, so you can use poisoned arrows against poison immune monsters safely
fun fact 2: dith doesn't mind you using flaming ammo if you cancel it out with a frost launcher, or a flaming launcher if you cancel it out with frost ammo
fun fact 3: i lied, neither of those facts are fun, they are dumb and need to be changed

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Abominae, byrel, nago, quik, tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 06:27

FR: Dith turns flaming ammo into regular ammo, likewise for TSO and poison ammo.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Rast

Dis Charger

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 10:56

duvessa wrote:fun fact: tso doesn't mind you using poisoned ammo (or pretty much any other poison thing, like the Poison Arrow spell) if it doesn't actually poison the thing you hit, so you can use poisoned arrows against poison immune monsters safely
fun fact 2: dith doesn't mind you using flaming ammo if you cancel it out with a frost launcher, or a flaming launcher if you cancel it out with frost ammo
fun fact 3: i lied, neither of those facts are fun, they are dumb and need to be changed
Fun fact 4: Even though the menu says he does, TSO doesn't actually mind Meph Cloud or Cure Poison, since they don't actually poison anything.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 11:19

This is clearly offtopic, but Cure poison isn't marked as prohibited by TSO. Moreover, with m.cloud you can even target sleeping\confused monster without incurring in penance, despite the game clearly warning of the contrary!
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 12:34

I'm actually completely OK with it being the act of poisoning and igniting that offends the god. If you go to some lengths to use the defiled weapons in a chivalrous/shadowy way... that sounds like something TSO and Dith would like. It's more the descriptions that need to be changed to make that clear.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 18:41

Or we could remove these awkward restrictions that don't really create interesting decisions, have weird loopholes and exceptions, and do not mesh well with existing interface conveniences. TSO and Dith's restrictions are there for "flavor," which would be fine, except for all the problems they cause.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
archaeo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 2nd July 2015, 20:37

Dith's restrictions are quite meaningful, especially in the early-mid game.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 03:58

Rast wrote:Dith's restrictions are quite meaningful, especially in the early-mid game.

In the sense that they create interesting decisions, or in the sense that sometimes you find a good item or spell but can't use it because you worship Dith? I don't find the second one very interesting, personally, and that's y experience. There isn't much fire does that can't be replicated by other effects, so not being able to use fire mostly just seems to limit the potion of items I find that are useful.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 05:07

In trunk you will automatically pick up ammo types that you already have in inventory. For instance if you carry plain arrows but not flaming arrows in inventory, you will autopickup plain arrows but not flaming ones. This only works works if the autopickup setting for that ammo type was not changed from the default.

This doesn't work if the autopickup setting for that type of item was changed from the default. For example, if you start as a hunter, it will autopickup all ammo of the type you started with, so what I described in the previous section won't work. To fix this, go to your autopickup menu and use Ctrl-D followed by the letter of the ammo, to restore the pickup to the default that I described in the previous section.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Abominae

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 11:05

Autopickup should allow you to pick what brands you want in an itemized way like potions, etc. Maybe some people think it's a good idea to carry bolts of every brand, but imo there are only a few that are worth carrying ever and I don't want to carry all the kinds I want to keep all the time to make autopickup work the way I want it to. E.g., I don't want to carry silver bolts all the time, but I do want to pick up any new sets of them I find.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Return to Game Design Discussion