Put ring command streamline

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 22:40

Put ring command streamline

Proposal: When changing rings don't offer the option to change it for an identical ring. Most of the time the option of putting on a ring of protection from fire in a slot that is being occupied by an identical ring of protection from fire is not useful. I think this can be streamlined by removing one prompt when the choice of a player is clear.

For the cases in which one wants to switch between identical items (and by identical items I mean items have exactly the same game effect) the player could manually take out one ring and then put on the desired ring. The only reason I can imagine for that is sentimental (e.g This ring was dropped by a unique).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 23rd December 2014, 22:58

Re: Put ring command streamline

I recognize there is already an option to fix this (and I use that option, and since I said "fix" you should be able to figure out how I feel about the default here) but I am just going to point out that this suggestion makes the "P"ut interface even less consistent than it already is, since now there would be yet another thing you have to remember to know whether you need to specify a hand or not (curses, inscriptions, wearing 2 identical rings).

Since the option to make the "P" command consistent exists this is not necessarily a problem but it is worth noting.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 01:40

I actually created the patch 2 days ago but during testing I found it is a bad idea in generic case. For example, when I have ring of flight and ring of protection from fire equipped, equipping another ring of flight is meaningless but equipping another ring of protection from fire does make some sense (unless the player is already at rF+++). It is better when the player makes the decision, otherwise the code would be too complicated and automatic equipment would still result in disappointment sometimes, for example, player mistakenly equips a ring of protection from magic while already wearing one ring of protection from magic and being at MR++++ (which is not max MR but still good enough) without any prompt. With the prompt the player would have a chance to realize that he is wearing a MR ring already.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
TeshiAlair

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 10th January 2015, 21:39

I object on principle to preventing the player to perform any action on an interface level. If a player wants to walk into lava, you should let them. You can paranoidprompt them, but you shouldn't forbid them from doing so. After all, we let them commit suicide via CTRL+Q; why not by walking into lava?

If that's the case, then how much more should we let them switch a ring with an identical ring?

My recommendation is to simply grey out identical rings on the inventory screen, or else just not show them. If they press the proper button, give it to 'em anyway.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 10th January 2015, 22:08

mechanicalmaniac wrote:If a player wants to walk into lava, you should let them. You can paranoidprompt them, but you shouldn't forbid them from doing so. After all, we let them commit suicide via CTRL+Q; why not by walking into lava?

It was so insanely annoying when the game was like that; you have no idea. Imagine doing something like swamp and getting that prompt every time you went near deep water.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th January 2015, 23:09

Just make it an rcfile option: I_want_annoying_prompts=true. (Oh sorry this is GDD.)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th January 2015, 01:10

mechanicalmaniac wrote:If that's the case, then how much more should we let them switch a ring with an identical ring?
But then how would I stop my searing ray???

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
asdu

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 12th January 2015, 13:51

Sandman25 wrote:I actually created the patch 2 days ago but during testing I found it is a bad idea in generic case. For example, when I have ring of flight and ring of protection from fire equipped, equipping another ring of flight is meaningless but equipping another ring of protection from fire does make some sense (unless the player is already at rF+++). It is better when the player makes the decision, otherwise the code would be too complicated and automatic equipment would still result in disappointment sometimes, for example, player mistakenly equips a ring of protection from magic while already wearing one ring of protection from magic and being at MR++++ (which is not max MR but still good enough) without any prompt. With the prompt the player would have a chance to realize that he is wearing a MR ring already.

Sandman's 6667 ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Return to Game Design Discussion