Make ranged brand selection meaningful

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 03:26

Make ranged brand selection meaningful

Damage brands on (normal) launchers currently are: flaming, freezing, and velocity (not sure if speed normally generates??). If a player was to have a choice between equally enchanted launchers with each of these brands, the choice in every single circumstance ever would be velocity. This is because when combined with branded ammunition a launcher of velocity can at will become a launcher of velocity of flaming/freezing. Effectively, launchers of velocity are always better at dealing damage than launchers of other brands. This has always been true, but with the recent ranged rework I think that these mechanics require revisiting.

Now, I understand that a player is not necessarily going to have a free selection of launchers, making freezing and flaming brands still useful assuming limited supply of branded ammo. This is true. However, I think that melee weapons have set a good example in making brand selection meaningful. I don't think there is a single melee brand in a bad place. Protection or venom can be a godsend early game. Distortion has extremely powerful effects but is rare and dangerous. Pain is hilariously strong but requires significant skill investment. All of these facets introduce more meaningful choices into the process of choosing the "best" weapon for a character at a particular point in the game. There may be times where the player has two or three weapons that would all be very viable choices moving forward.

Contrast this with launchers. An experienced player carrying a flaming/freezing launcher who finds a launcher of velocity of similar enchantment (or lesser, likely) has no decision, because the clear optimal choice is to drop the elemental branded launcher on the ground and never think about it again because the launcher velocity gives all the elemental launcher did, except more damage.

Besides being inferior in raw damage, elemental launchers have another limitation caused by an old interaction. Missiles of flaming fired be a launcher of freezing (and vice versa) become plain arrows. This wastes both brands and naturally is not documented anywhere. I think that this is an artifact of "flavour over gameplay" design. You know what happens to those.

I have several proposed options to rectify the current undesirable situation. Unfortunately, I do not find any to be a complete solution, but they are likely easier to implement than a full ranged brand rework or something like that.

1. Ammo brand always overrides launcher brand.

This option is good because it already happens in several places (poison overriding flaming for example). This would require branded ammo to override the extra damage from velocity. This option is bad because this last effect would be difficult to communicate clearly.

2. Both brands "proc" concomitantly.

Both the launcher and ammo brand deal its respective damage, with matching launcher and ammo brands having amplified effect. This is interesting in that it allows all combinations of launchers and ammunition to work together, which seems like a good thing. However, it would be weird having a simultaneously freezing and burning attack. This option may be more difficult to implement as well.

3. Remove all ammo brands.
This is radical and removes some of the distinctions that launcher types have (unique ammo brands). It does fix the problem though. I don't think this is necessary, but I have seen discussion before on removing ammo all together.

4. Remove flame and frost ammo brands.
Most often flame and frost missiles are just "extra damage" brands and are in general the least interesting of branded ammo. This would make the dynamic between elemental and vorpal brand for launchers match more closely that found in melee weapons. Elemental launchers would deal more damage to unresistant foes, but velocity would be unresistable.

Please leave any ideas about improving the situation. As I said, I don't think mine are complete solutions (with the exception of #3, but that one may be undesirable for other reasons).

tl;dr: Launcher brands are in a poor state because velocity is strictly better than flaming/freezing in almost all situations and I think that this situation can be improved.

For this message the author RBrandon has received thanks:
tedric

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 04:37

Re: Make ranged brand selection meaningful

There's already been a recent discussion about dramatically reducing the number of ammo brands to save inventory space. I think that is a good idea, and should happen along with a launcher brand rework to ensure that there are no overlapping brands between launchers and ammo. Ammo and launcher brands could then just completely stack. For example, slings might have stones, sling bullets, or steel bullets, and then you can find launchers of flaming or freezing or velocity or whatever, and the damage would stack (so using a freezing sling with a steel bullet would get the extra damage from both). Or there could be bolts of penetration, and then if you fire them out of a flaming crossbow you get flaming, penetrating bolts. But there would be no such thing as firing flaming bolt out of a freezing crossbow.

Basically, the set of launcher and ammo brands should be altered so that the devs are comfortable with any launcher brand stacking with any ammo brand, and then they should all stack. Something along the lines of your suggestions 4 and 2.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks:
tedric

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 13:44

Personally I'd like to see either launcher brands or ammo brands go away entirely.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, RBrandon

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 17:20

I'd like to see overlapping and redundant ammo brands removed. I posted about this in the other thread, but in short, I'd just have at most one special and unique brand for all launcher ammo. Dispersal for arrows, silver *or* steel for bolts, exploding for slings, etc. Then you can just make it so that all ammo brands stack with all launcher brands. Thrown weapons can be kept mostly as they are now, I think.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 19:17

If there is a unique brand for all launcher ammo, I'd definitely make all of the launcher skills crosstrain (I think bows and xbows already do, but I'd add in slings) so that if you so chose you could have an armoury of weapons.

Aside- is there anything really gained by having bows and xbows being different skills? Slings it make some sense due to being one handed, but the other seems to be fairly arbitrary aside from favoring races with strong bows over xbows.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 4th November 2014, 19:45

TeshiAlair wrote:If there is a unique brand for all launcher ammo, I'd definitely make all of the launcher skills crosstrain (I think bows and xbows already do, but I'd add in slings) so that if you so chose you could have an armoury of weapons.

Aside- is there anything really gained by having bows and xbows being different skills? Slings it make some sense due to being one handed, but the other seems to be fairly arbitrary aside from favoring races with strong bows over xbows.

Slings and throwing cross-train. Bows and xbows do not cross-train.

I might not have made it clear, but part of the reason to give only *one* kind of branded ammo for each ammo type was in order to reduce inventory clutter and the hassle of switching stuff around (both weapons and quivering), so if anything I'd remove the cross-training between slings and throwing, which really doesn't seem to make sense after all the changes to ranged combat.

Anyway, the difference between bows and crossbows as weapons is quite pronounced; the difference is certainly much larger than, say, the difference between long blades and M&F:

shortbow 2, 9, 1.3, 0.6
longbow 0, 15, 1.7, 0.7

hand crossbow 5, 12, 1.5, 1.0
arbalest 2, 18, 1.9, 1.0
triple crossbow 0, 22, 2.3, 1.0

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th November 2014, 06:03

Note that throwing is currently the worst offender for inventory clutter:
  Code:
Missiles
 e - 26 poisoned javelins
 f - 7 curare-tipped needles
 g - 33 tomahawks
 i - 18 javelins of penetration
 j - 12 silver javelins
 p - 21 steel javelins
 s - 19 javelins of returning (quivered)
 v - 57 javelins
 x - 15 steel tomahawks
 F - 9 tomahawks of returning
 I - 13 tomahawks of dispersal
 N - 13 poisoned tomahawks
 U - 6 throwing nets

And that's not even all of them, that's just what I'm carrying right now.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th November 2014, 06:11

This probably has all sorts of issues with it, but what if all ammo just took up a single inventory slot? You could have an inventory slot that's just for your Quiver or whatever, and then it stored every type of ammo you pick up. You can see what ammo's in it by looking at it in the inventory, and all of the ammo in it comes up when you hit Q. Still would involve some tedious ammo switching in combat, but I don't think that's nearly as big an issue as the inventory clutter.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 3rd December 2014, 08:49

I was thinking recently of that (mostly about how I still have no idea about how the launcher and weapon brands interact) and the simplest solution I could come up with it making launcher and ammo brands exclusive. My idea is to make launchers get all the "plain" brands (fire, frost, venom, velocity, speed, holy, ???) and ammo gets unique, type-specific brands: penetration and steel for crossbows, dispersal for bows, silver, exploding and steel (again) for slings. I could see more unique ammo being added in this case (tracking arrows for bows (never miss), reaping arrows (bring them back!)) and probably making unique ammo always mulch on hit to make it feel more like consumable you use in a fight to gain an advantage, rather than a direct upgrade. Some (more) special-casing would be necessary for Nessos, and I'm not sure how to treat chaos in this case (probably weapon brand, as it was), but I feel like that would make rangers feel a bit more fun without cluttering the inventory too much (the removal of frost/fire/venom arrows, which are terribly common, would leave some space for the fun types).

Edit: Holy shit this is barely readable. Basically the idea is to have this ranged/brand selection:

Bows, crossbows, slings:
  Code:
flaming
frost
venom
velocity
evasion (do we really need this brand?)
speed (randarts and Shranga)
holy (available through TSO's blessing)
chaos

Arrows:
  Code:
plain
dispersal
tracking (always hits, also maybe smite-targeted?)
reaping (makes a zombie on killing an eligible creature)

Bolts:
  Code:
plain
penetration
steel
???

Sling bullets:
  Code:
stones (not really a bullet, but I felt I should mention that)
plain
exploding
silver
steel (I feel like a little overlap with Crossbows is okay)

and make all the non-plain projectiles mulch on hit. The idea is to use plain arrows with a launcher of your choice for most battles and use special ammo in special circumstances.

Edit #2: I think throwing has a fine selection of brands, if anything it could probably be reduced since, as pointed above, combined with different throwing weapons they clutter the inventory too much already.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
nago, Sprucery

Return to Game Design Discussion