two interface suggestions

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 20:07

two interface suggestions

These are both comments made on the console version, so tiles may not have these problems:

1. Human necromancers are the same color as humans and often both appear at the same stage in the game, sometimes spawning in groups together. These are hard to spot compared to kobold pack member differentiation. I suggest they be turned grey.
2. Corrosion effect reduces AC, turning the affected number red. It also turns an equipped weapon red, but the slaying bonus remains untouched. It can be assumed by the Corr debuff (also red) number that the slaying bonus has been reduced, but there is no explicit correlation. I suggest the corrosion effect reduces the displayed slaying bonus on weapons the same way it does for AC.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 20:36

Re: two interface suggestions

twelwe wrote:These are both comments made on the console version, so tiles may not have these problems:

I don't encounter an issue with (1) in Tiles.

(2) is applicable to both versions.
Last edited by XuaXua on Thursday, 18th September 2014, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 21:06

checking the glyph sheet it looks like necromancers are light grey already, and that no human glyph uses dark grey. Light grey and white are very similar in console.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 21:34

twelwe wrote:checking the glyph sheet it looks like necromancers are light grey already, and that no human glyph uses dark grey. Light grey and white are very similar in console.

Most terminals, in their preferences, let you independently set all 16 of the ANSI colours. In Putty it's under "Window" group, "Colours" tab: scroll down the colour list to "ANSI White" (what Crawl calls lightgrey) and "ANSI White bold" (what crawl calls white). Also make sure you have "bolded text is a different colour" selected.

No glyphs should use darkgrey, because that is used for out-of-sight remembered monsters.

For this message the author neil has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 01:09

XuaXua wrote:I don't encounter an issue with (1) in Tiles.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
crate, grisamentum

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 03:26

I think they said that because Twelwe had said they were unsure on whether these were issues with tiles or not. XuaXua was letting Twelwe know that the first one wasn't but the second one was.

For this message the author Quazifuji has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Moose, XuaXua

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th September 2014, 16:43

duvessa wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I don't encounter an issue with (1) in Tiles.

No, you misunderstood. Duvessa was giving his content free post that award.

Of course, whether the award was deserved is questionable, as it should probably be a tie between all the various content free posts Duvessa makes. Of course, if you let the only judge of a contest give an award to themselves, you shouldn't be surprised when the result seems less than fair.

TLDR: Most useful post award competition is rigged, and Duvessa is a corrupt official.

For this message the author damiac has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Hirsch I, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 19th September 2014, 20:50

twelwe wrote:2. Corrosion effect reduces AC, turning the affected number red. It also turns an equipped weapon red, but the slaying bonus remains untouched. It can be assumed by the Corr debuff (also red) number that the slaying bonus has been reduced, but there is no explicit correlation. I suggest the corrosion effect reduces the displayed slaying bonus on weapons the same way it does for AC.

a good idea, except that (I think?) corrosion currently reduces UC damage, which doesn't have a slaying bonus normally displayed for obvious reasons. aside from that problem (which seems solvable), I really like this

For this message the author PleasingFungus has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 19th September 2014, 22:03

why does corrosion reduce UC damage?
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 19th September 2014, 22:05

Hirsch I wrote:why does corrosion reduce UC damage?

Good question! Simplicity and consistency are possible answers, but I agree that it doesn't make much sense for corrosion to have this effect on UC.

Return to Game Design Discussion