Proposal: Enemy with Acid Spit Earlier

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 18:03

Proposal: Enemy with Acid Spit Earlier

So corrosion is no longer a reason to hate the game as long you have a reasonable chance of getting away. Considering we have earlyish monsters that can completely paralyze you, having a ranged acid/corrosion enemy earlier on could be a good mix to a crowd. Possibly even giving the jelly's a very slight range -- I have found them to have dropped very considerably in memorability since corrosion became a temporary effect.

Thoughts?

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 18:08

Re: Proposal: Enemy with Acid Spit Earlier

ludamad wrote:So corrosion is no longer a reason to hate the game as long you have a reasonable chance of getting away. Considering we have earlyish monsters that can completely paralyze you, having a ranged acid/corrosion enemy earlier on could be a good mix to a crowd. Possibly even giving the jelly's a very slight range -- I have found them to have dropped very considerably in memorability since corrosion became a temporary effect.

Thoughts?

Considering that giant eyeballs were removed from everything except for vaults, paralyze is less of a threat early game.

Also, why corrosion? Are breeding melee corrosion threats not enough? Corrosion is much deadlier than it was, whether you find it memorable or not. -5 slaying is disgusting.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

For this message the author Greyr has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sandman25

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 21:27

-3 slaying, -5 ac (per stack)

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 21:59

I just miss the early game variety of the 'permanent' punishment (which had no terrible consequence long-term). I still haven't had the new corrosion affect me really I suppose.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 22:15

There's some argument that the new corrosion effect needs to be more impactful with a single stack, and that multiple stacks need to be less harsh or less frequent, both of which seem plausible to me.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 11th September 2014, 22:56

PleasingFungus wrote:There's some argument that the new corrosion effect needs to be more impactful with a single stack, and that multiple stacks need to be less harsh or less frequent, both of which seem plausible to me.

There's a run-away effect in that corrosion is more likely to proc if you took more damage from the attack, and corrosion procing reduces your AC, so the more corrosion you have the easier it is to get more without bound.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Lasty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th September 2014, 06:43

Well, and it also depends on when you encounter it, going from 40 AC to 35 isn't a big deal, but going from 10 AC to 5 is pretty significant.

Maybe it should just halve your AC on each stack (so the progression is geometric), and have a similar geometric progression on slaying (Something like (6,9,11,13,14, 15...))
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
Lasty, Sar

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 12th September 2014, 13:48

Geometric scaling sounds pretty terrible. Having TRJ or yellow draconians knocking off half your AC and imposing even harsher slaying penalties than you already get on the basis of one corrosion is insane. I think new corrosion is interesting, but it doesn't mean that it needs to be spread throughout the entire game, or comparably important wherever it occurs.

For this message the author ackack has received thanks: 2
duvessa, Sandman25

Return to Game Design Discussion