evocable consumables

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 00:56

evocable consumables

The removal of item weight and consumable destruction is mostly a convenience. A very nice, well-appreciated convenience. Stash management isn't completely dead, but at least I don't have to make a stash run every time an popcorn orc wizard randomly pops one of my important emergency consumables.

There's one implication of the change that I don't really like, though. I'll use the potion of haste for my examples, because it is a pretty extreme case. By the time I get to Lair, I usually have multiple potions of haste in my inventory. Sometimes I only have one, very occasionally I have some really stupid double-digit number of them. Before, I would carefully carry them one and at a time to protect them, and if I lost one to item destruction I would very gingerly extricate myself from the current predicament and return to my stash to replace it. It didn't happen often, but surprise monsters while I was returning to my stash were far more alarming than they would have been while I still had haste on tap.

Since the recent changes, potions of haste are basically as good as a wand of haste, except you can stack more than nine charges in one item slot. All characters other than mummies and formicids are nearly guaranteed to have the functional equivalent of a wand of haste in their inventory generate in various parts of the dungeon, so long as they are reasonably careful about using it. You will basically never run out, which means you never have to play without emergency haste available. This doesn't seem desirable.

Instead of a stack of potions, then, or even a wand, why not convert haste into an evocable item? 'This clock carries a charge of stored time. If you wind the clock, it will release this stored time to speed your actions and reactions. Once drained, the clock will slowly steal time from the souls of those who die until it is recharged.' As an evocable item that recharges from gained xp, the player is encouraged to use the ability because the recharge from gained xp goes to waste if the item has not recently been used. The player will have the option to press this button many times over the course of the game, and doesn't lose anything permanent for doing so. Pressing the button is fun! However, since an evocable item occupies its own slot and doesn't stack, the player who uses it loses access to its benefits for a span of gameplay, which simply doesn't happen if you have a stack of potions or a well-charged wand instead. There's an actual risk involved, and getting through a dense cluster of mid-game uniques and vaults with drained evocables might require some careful strategy, in comparison to just brute-forcing them all with a stockpile of the good consumables. If you want to have lots of haste available at once, you'll need to assign exactly that many precious item slots to the job.

Haste is obviously a good candidate to stop existing in most of its current forms, but most of the other buff and emergency scrolls and potions are also potential candidates. Anything that is detrimental to gameplay when the player can spam it might be a good candidate to be an evocable item instead. If it is desirable to maintain the form of a scroll or potion so mummies continue to be unable to quaff haste, then call them clay tablets or grails. Magical grails confer an effect on the quaffer, and refill themselves over time. Note that I am not calling for these items to require actual skill in evocations; I'm only calling for them to be drained with one use and then slowly recharge through gameplay. Current evocable items are excellent design and I think it would be good if more items worked the same way.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
doubtofbuddha, Lasty, Patashu

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 02:02

Re: evocable consumables

In most games I find less than 10 potions of haste, and in one of my recent games I found zero because the only one I saw was quaffed by a draconian in Zot. Potions of haste are so limited that I don't think there's any problem with them stacking.

One possible problem with the proposal is that if potions of haste became an evocable item, there would be no source of haste available in the early game or until the player finds the evocable if ever. Other than that I don't see anything wrong with the idea but I also don't see a reason to implement it for potions of haste. Maybe some other consumables would fit better.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:08

I do not at all believe your premise that the biggest difference between potion of haste and wand of hasting was that the wand of hasting couldn't be destroyed (well, except for Zot traps draining charges). The biggest difference was, and still is, that you get many times more hastes from a single wand of hasting than from all the haste potions you will find in the entire game, because you can recharge it. I have also never, ever, at any point in my 3410 online games, felt threatened by a monster encountered while moving to my stash. I cannot recall a situation where I would have been threatened by such a monster even if I had no consumables at all.

Elemental invokers also already make inventory management quite a pain in the ass, and making you use yet another inventory slot for every new potion of haste sounds like it would make that problem even worse. Of course you could fix that by just letting the stupid things stack but there appears to be strong opposition to that. Taking an extra slot is not an actual drawback in a game where you can go back and pick up items that you have dropped, it just means people will do more backtracking whenever they need to identify something or remove a curse or enchant something or use [some other item that has no tactical significance but still takes up an inventory slot].

It sounds to me like you mainly want less haste in the game, in which case wouldn't it be easier to just, like, generate fewer potions?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
crate, Lasty, Patashu

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:17

If anything I'd think you'd be railing against the wand, since now that item destruction is gone carrying ?recharging around makes sense, and even one ?recharging (if you have a wand) is not unlikely to be as many hastes as you get from potions all game, and two or three ?rech is almost certainly more hastes than all the potions you've found.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:21

Actually, now that itemdest is gone pretty much the only reason to keep wand of /HW are DDs (make it a DD-unique item?). Well, and Ozo's Fridge, I guess. Maybe /hasting, /HW and /tele should just go? Maybe generate more potions/scrolls later. Would get rid of their special case of not being influenced by Evocations (well, IIRC using /tele on enemies is but most people don't use it on enemies).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:25

Sar wrote:Actually, now that itemdest is gone pretty much the only reason to keep wand of /HW are DDs (make it a DD-unique item?). Well, and Ozo's Fridge, I guess. Maybe /hasting, /HW and /tele should just go?
rip minmay

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:35

duvessa wrote:It sounds to me like you mainly want less haste in the game, in which case wouldn't it be easier to just, like, generate fewer potions?

I'm okay with having an arbitrarily large amount of haste in the game, as long as the same character also has periods of game-play in which there is no haste. Preferably not with all of the latter before the former.

The spell is the worst version of haste, of course.

crate wrote:If anything I'd think you'd be railing against the wand, since now that item destruction is gone carrying ?recharging around makes sense, and even one ?recharging (if you have a wand) is not unlikely to be as many hastes as you get from potions all game, and two or three ?rech is almost certainly more hastes than all the potions you've found.

The wand needing to go away goes without saying.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:37

duvessa wrote:rip minmay

yeah rip... wait, what?

Edit: mummies, how could I forget about mummies.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 03:55

Sar wrote:Actually, now that itemdest is gone pretty much the only reason to keep wand of /HW are DDs (make it a DD-unique item?). Well, and Ozo's Fridge, I guess. Maybe /hasting, /HW and /tele should just go? Maybe generate more potions/scrolls later. Would get rid of their special case of not being influenced by Evocations (well, IIRC using /tele on enemies is but most people don't use it on enemies).

It's not like HW is that powerful though, you can still blow your entire supply on one bad encounter+ a bad teleport or two, and uncontrolled teles get consumed pretty quick too. ?recharge still probly needs a nerf like identify got, as it is rods are almost never worth recharging.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Barkeep

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 04:00

duvessa wrote:Elemental invokers also already make inventory management quite a pain in the ass, and making you use yet another inventory slot for every new potion of haste sounds like it would make that problem even worse.

This isn't a potion of haste; I hope it would be quite a lot rarer. I agree it'd make you think about inventory management a bit more, but this doesn't seem evil to me. You need to decide if you want to carry discharged items around to charge them again, but if enough of these generate that you can just grab another whenever you've used one, too many have probably generated.

Another thought: if what KL is proposing is "haste with a cooldown," then why not give characters intrinsic haste with a cooldown? It could either be a mutation that activates at a given level, or finding one of these haste things and eating it could imbue that ability.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 04:23

It sounds to me like you mainly want less haste in the game, in which case wouldn't it be easier to just, like, generate fewer potions?

This seems like a better solution to me than the OP's proposal. It scores major points for being the simplest solution, and I think it addresses the problem more neatly as well. If there is less haste available, then players will be forced to play more parts of the game without haste available while maintaining the current random nature of finding consumables (I'm really not too fond of making consumable availability deterministic...). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to address the OP's main concern.

Also, I think we can all agree that there are way too many consumables in the game currently in general. I know that I'm regularly ending 3-rune wins right now with large stashes of every important consumable...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 05:12

Ehh, reducing the number of potion spawns is a solution, but it's not a solution I like. Buttons that are in the game should be used. The player should want to press them, and they should be rewarding to press. Skill should revolve around choosing exactly the right place and time to press them, rather than in overcoming the tendency to hoard buttons in case you want to press them later.

Piety is an excellent, elegant mechanic for at least several deities. You have a regular income of piety, and if you spend some you can reliably expect to get some back eventually. If you call some Brothers to help you in a tough spot, you might have to live without further help for a while, but if you never call your Brothers your income will eventually trail off because you are more likely to get piety income if you aren't already near the maximum. You get the most benefit if you use it, but you do still have to spend judiciously.

At the moment, though, consumables are more like food or ammo. Theoretically, they are designed with the intention of being a strategic resource that you have to carefully ration out over the course of the game. In practice, this doesn't work as well as you'd hope. The fact that there is far too much food, ammo, and consumables available is only part of the problem. The other part is the fact that the strategic resource model encourages hoarding of resources. Players are expected to not press the fun buttons that are provided for them. Spawning fewer potions of haste means that pressing that button is more harshly punished in games where the potion randomly decides to spawn less often than normal, and other players will still end up with inventories full of fun buttons that never get pressed to avoid the threat of this harsher punishment.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 05:13

WalkerBoh wrote:

This seems like a better solution to me than the OP's proposal. It scores major points for being the simplest solution, and I think it addresses the problem more neatly as well. If there is less haste available, then players will be forced to play more parts of the game without haste available while maintaining the current random nature of finding consumables (I'm really not too fond of making consumable availability deterministic...). Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to address the OP's main concern.

Also, I think we can all agree that there are way too many consumables in the game currently in general. I know that I'm regularly ending 3-rune wins right now with large stashes of every important consumable...

Which is why consumable generation was reduced a little over a week ago.

Do you think it needs to be reduced further?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 11th July 2014, 05:22

Well, if you are a good player, you will have extra of every consumable left over after a 3 rune game even in 0.14 with item destruction and item weights, unless playing a very difficult combo.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 12th July 2014, 01:33

PleasingFungus wrote:Which is why consumable generation was reduced a little over a week ago.

Hard to say. I had no idea the consumable generation rate was reduced, and I've won 4 games since it was changed; didn't notice any difference from before the reduction. It still seemed to me like I had a lot of spare consumables (more than 5 haste/might, more than 10 curing/hw, tons of tele and ID and rCurse). But it's hard for me to say whether there are really too many since it's a small sample size and 3 of those 4 wins were with DD.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
One-Eyed Jack

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 12th July 2014, 02:39

WalkerBoh wrote:
PleasingFungus wrote:Which is why consumable generation was reduced a little over a week ago.

Hard to say. I had no idea the consumable generation rate was reduced, and I've won 4 games since it was changed; didn't notice any difference from before the reduction. It still seemed to me like I had a lot of spare consumables (more than 5 haste/might, more than 10 curing/hw, tons of tele and ID and rCurse). But it's hard for me to say whether there are really too many since it's a small sample size and 3 of those 4 wins were with DD.

Again, if you're a good player playing a non challenge combo, having tons of consumables left over after 3 rune win isn't new in 0.15, it's the status quo.

Play something hard and see if it still feels right.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th July 2014, 07:11

If I'm reading that patch note correctly, the number of recharging scrolls hasn't decreased at all? And the only potions decreased were curing/heal wounds? Decrease might, agility, haste at least. Decrease recharging for scrolls. By roughly 10-20% of what they spawn, give or take.

It's still too high now, but not terribly slow. Taking 10-20% off should be pretty close. After a while at that level, we can reevaluate. Recharging is a tricky one because one recharging scroll equals 5 heal wounds potions, if you're lucky enough to acquire a wand.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 13th July 2014, 09:16

I don't see why recharging should be lowered. They are very rare anyways. I usually find 1-3 in the main dungeon (D,L+branches,V,Depths,Z)
you would always just stash/use them anyways the moment you found them cause they are so powerful and you don't want them destroyed.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 14th July 2014, 02:30

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:I don't see why recharging should be lowered. They are very rare anyways. I usually find 1-3 in the main dungeon (D,L+branches,V,Depths,Z)

That's funny, you should be finding something closer to four times that many.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Game Design Discussion