New spells: Wind Wall/Shield

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 22:04

New spells: Wind Wall/Shield

I've put a few patches up on mantis https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=8208 for some new spells and would appreciate any feedback on them.

The basic idea for these spells is they create a cloud that can stop projectiles (but not spells). The wall is in a fixed location and the shield moves along with you. Since it's a cloud it also can be used as protection from other clouds although it won't remove any existing ones.

Wind Wall replaces the Repel Missiles spell in the early books and I hope is more interesting tactically (although I'm sure it's a net downgrade). While RM is now a lot less tedious it's also much more of a no-brainer - I'd like some thought to go into the casting. Wind Shield replaces Deflect Missiles only in the Book of the Sky.

Note that the chance to block a missile is per-cloud tile so you can, with repeated castings and moving, make yourself very safe but it requires time and some good positioning which I think is a good trade-off.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 22:23

Re: New spells: Wind Wall/Shield

Why would you buff tornado? Tornado does not need to be any more overpowered than it already is.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 11th April 2014, 22:30

Re: New spells: Wind Wall/Shield

Mainly for symmetry with the lower level spells. It seems wierd that a tornado won't have some effect on an arrow. Plus you'll be losing R/DMissile and Wind Shield gets canceled by a tornado.

Return to Game Design Discussion