Proposal: PLEASE remove or alter sticky flame

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 03:58

Proposal: PLEASE remove or alter sticky flame

It's just incredibly tedious to run and drop your scrolls when you sight something like a mottled dragon, and by far THE most annoying thing I have ever encountered in this game is getting hit with sticky flame and watching your scrolls go up in a whoosh. I just ran into a mottled dragon, had no time to do anything about it before getting pegged, and literally just lost like 12 scrolls. It kind of killed my desire to continue this character any further, the scrolls were un-ID'd and I just know I lost some great items in that little encounter.

Am I alone in absolutely loathing sticky flame mechanics?

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 04:05

Re: Proposal: PLEASE remove or alter sticky flame

If you search this board you'll find this subject comes up every 2-3 months. Last time I remember the game was changed so sticky flame now has a lower effect on scrolls then sleeping in a raging volcano. Rejoice.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 04:17

Just lost the character due to being PO'd and making dumb choices. It's been a long time since a game actually got me angry, kind of sad on my part really, but holy fuck sticky flame is annoying.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 04:39

This is why I always try to find and carry around a Phial of Floods.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 04:50

It was recently made much less severe. I'm going to have to assume you aren't playing trunk.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th March 2014, 17:20

Much less severe meaning destroying 1/6 of your scrolls instead of 1/3. It's still awful.

That said, I don't modify my play in any way to deal with it, except maybe equipping conservation if it's available, and I don't need the amulet slot. I just accept that once I get to sticky flame territory, I'm going to lose a lot of scrolls, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Return to Game Design Discussion