Velocity Card should not equal Swiftness

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th January 2014, 18:56

Velocity Card should not equal Swiftness

Just drew a plain Velocity card from a deck. It essentially cast Swiftness, with the new penalty post-swiftness.

Being able to draw a Velocity Card, even with Nemelex stacking, is not ripe for "abuse" as casting consecutive Swiftness spells was.

In my opinion, Velocity should not be penalized with the post-swiftness cooldown period, adding value by making it distinct from the Swiftness spell.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 5
Arrhythmia, battaile, Hirsch I, pratamawirya, TeshiAlair

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 05:10

Re: Velocity Card should not equal Swiftness

What a serious proposal!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 05:12

+1 for a proposal that actually has a chance of being implemented. Never thought I'd see the day!

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 05:34

Well if he'd done it right he would've just put it right on mantis without involving the tavern at all. I assume he came in here for the free thanks (and probably snarky comments) like the rest of us.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 05:50

WalkerBoh wrote:Well if he'd done it right he would've just put it right on mantis without involving the tavern at all. I assume he came in here for the free thanks (and probably snarky comments) like the rest of us.

It's not a bug, so Mantis is not the right place for it and it would have been closed. (Unless you mean as a patch, in which case I would not push it because:)

I don't see anything wrong with Swiftness meaning the same thing wherever it occurs - decks already have a lot of inconsistent and hidden mechanics, and adding another one when there is no problem with the card's power level seems bad to me.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 3
crate, duvessa, WalkerBoh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 07:03

Then rename the card Swiftness.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 07:40

Well if you want to be literal it should be called "Swiftness, Haste Or Both Depending On Power" card.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
cerebovssquire, duvessa, XuaXua

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 09:42

I don't really see what's inconsistent or hidden about "A card called velocity always makes you faster". What does seem unintuitive to me is that the 2 power version has a drawback that isn't present in the 1 power one, but I guess that applies to quite a few cards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 12:01

Leafsnail wrote:I don't really see what's inconsistent or hidden about "A card called velocity always makes you faster".

If you mean that Swiftness and Velocity being different isn't inconsistent, I think the fact that they both confer the same status effect (Swift) is relevant. You would have to rename the Velocity effect for "Swift" to be consistent. There are issues with that, first that adding features that add barely anything to the game complicates things unnecessarily, and second that the new Swiftness effect is simply more interesting from a tactical point of view than a pure buff. It isn't just good because it prevents chaining Swiftness.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 17:07

Blind drawing from a deck of escape probably should not slow you. That's what the velocity card does if i'm more than a few steps from a staircase. The swiftness change was because castable swiftness was optimal to have on at all times, and that has nothing to do with the card.

Or, if that's too big of a change, just remove the velocity card completely.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 9th January 2014, 18:25

"Blind drawing from decks sometimes has bad effects" is in fact a pretty common theme of decks, so no, that's not a problem or a reason to change it either.

Closing this.

Return to Game Design Discussion