New Ogre is AWESOME

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 17:37

New Ogre is AWESOME

For once, OgBe actually seems like a valid rival to TrBe. The increased HP bulk and Fighting and Maces skills make for a much more valid character. They finally feel like true ogres now--my current one is on Floor 5 of the Dungeon, which is much farther than my old Ogres typically got. It looks like I'll have to give Ogres a second look when 0.8's final stable release comes out.

For this message the author jackalKnight has received thanks:
sigfried von murdock

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 20:17

Re: New Ogre is AWESOME

I was just about to make a post about this.

The jump from 2 fighting 1 mace/flail to 3 fighting 3 M/F is astronomically better.

The ogre is still fairly hard to play, but doesn't feel like a gigantic fat, crappy mountain dwarf that is too deformed to wear Armour. Instead large, meaty, easy to hit, but can really deal out damage.

Even shields are some what of an option, using 1.5 hand flails with large shield for some defense.

- - - Edit - - -

The stat differences between fighter, berserker, and gladiator all have interesting trade offs, especially if you plan to use magic.

notably-
Berserkers:
4.3 fighting
4.3 M/F
2.6 dodge
(Trog)

Gladiators:
3 fighting
4.3 M/F
1.5 Un
2.25 throwing
1.5 dodge