Hex Protection Spell

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 15:11

Hex Protection Spell

Hex Protection
Charms - level 6

For a short duration, the effect could be similar to wearing a Ring of Magic Resistance or Trog's Hand.

Duration can be similar to Shroud of Golebria or Phase Shift.

This spell is to fill the void when the game is not generating MR gear.

For example right now I have a level 20 Gargoyle and have only found one ring of magic resistance. This gives me "very resistant to hostile enchantment" but this is not high enough, as I have just been slowed and paralyzed by a Sphinx. Yes, I escaped that situation by putting on an amulet of stasis which made me glow and i had to suffer a -2 to strength bad mutation.

The game is very unforgiving if you are unlucky with item drops and you are playing a race with poor MR. A spell like this would help compensate.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 15:18

Re: Proposal: Hex Protection Spell

I think all of the spells that do things like this were removed over the last few versions.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 18:33

Yeah I really don't want optimal play to involve constantly re-upping yet another buff charm in case something with banishment/paralyze is around any given corner. Good riddance to insulation and its ilk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th December 2013, 15:15

Maybe there could be a transmutation spell that would turn you into a very magic resistant being. Well, necromutation gives +50 MR so there already is. It's kind of a huge investment though.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th December 2013, 15:58

There are lots of hex protection spells already in crawl! They're in the "summoning" spell school.

(all hexes except for eye gazes require line of fire)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 08:12

Re: Hex Protection Spell

good point, crate.. Except TSO hates to see your allies die.. also Okawaru EDIT - I'm wrong :oops: . Actually I like Potion of Resistance buffed to include MR.. that is a simple idea and would also make an alternative source of MR available to non-casters who are not using Trog.
Last edited by skyspire on Thursday, 19th December 2013, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 08:45

Re: Hex Protection Spell

TSO and Oka both do not care about your allies dying unless you personally kill them. (Oka used to care about them dying but no longer does; TSO never has.)

Return to Game Design Discussion