Ideas for viable yet thematic Poison Magic spells

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 12th December 2013, 23:53

Ideas for viable yet thematic Poison Magic spells

I know poison magic late game viability has been discussed, and it seems ultimately theme was chosen over effectiveness due to the plentitude of late game options, but I'd still like to see viable poison spells for 15 rune runs. Here's my idea for 3 spells that would help on this, while still respecting the flavor of poison (no acid/corrosion, no removal of rPois, etc.):

Level 7 - Insanity
(Poison/Transmutation)
Afflicts a living target with an insanity-causing toxin. Under this effect, target gains pain resistance (halved damage from pain, agony, torment, excruciating wounds, etc), immunity to paralysis or slows, and there is a 15% chance to deal a bonus melee attack for each of the adjacent spaces around. As this effect causes overwhelming poisoning out of every pore of the body, being hit in combat will poison the attacker, and 1-7 hp will be lost per turn (less with higher spellpower) until health falls below 20% of max HP. Target must have over 20% health to have the stamina to go insane.

Level 8 - Summon Venomvine
(Poison/Summoning)
Create a long-lasting stationary vine at a smite-targeted position that will whip and attack enemies within 2 spaces away, and also poison them. Small to medium size enemies can be knocked around. Casting this on fruit will grow a longer lasting Venomvine. There is a limit of 8 Venomvines at one time.

Level 9 - Explosive Putrefaction
(Poison/Hexes)
Fills a corpse (or undead) with festering poisons that will build up until reaching max turns or when the afflicted corpse is struck, after which an explosion of gases is released. Deals 1d(Power/6) damage and +1 explosion range for every turn it's allowed to build up, max 8 turns, and 50% of the damage dealt is poison-based. After explosion, a 3x3 miasmic cloud is left. Damage is greatly reduced by shield value.
Last edited by Noisewar on Friday, 13th December 2013, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 00:18

Re: Ideas for viable yet thematic Poison Magic spells

Creating miasma already explicitly falls under Necromany (see Corpse Rot). I don't have much to say about the other spells.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 01:28

nicolae wrote:Creating miasma already explicitly falls under Necromany (see Corpse Rot). I don't have much to say about the other spells.

Is there an unspoken rule that it can't come from other sources? Also, it's why I went with a corpse as a requirement for initiating the spell.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 01:35

Noisewar wrote:Is there an unspoken rule that it can't come from other sources? Also, it's why I went with a corpse as a requirement for initiating the spell.

What other spells involve corpses but aren't Necromancy?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 04:29

nicolae wrote:
Noisewar wrote:Is there an unspoken rule that it can't come from other sources? Also, it's why I went with a corpse as a requirement for initiating the spell.

What other spells involve corpses but aren't Necromancy?

Hmm, while technically not spells, Decomposition and Powered By Pain come to mind, and are not tied to necromancy.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 08:28

Somehow it took me reading insanity 2-3 times before I realized it is intended to be self cast. I do like the idea of a buff that drains your health. I assume the poison damage would have to go through poison resistance? You'd definitely want that to be consistent, especially since it uses transmutations and statue form now grants immunity to poison.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 08:50

Yeah reworked the description a bit. I didn't intend it to be only self cast, but also usable to buff living allies, with the caveat that as powerful as it is, it could backfire with the indiscriminate bonus attacks. Maybe I didn't describe it right, but the poisoning is applied to any attacker who hits the insane, and would not bypass rPois.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 15:13

Would one be able to walk through venom vines? Casting one behind you sounds strong+fun if you can. I like the idea of creating poisonous plants to help you. Giving them constrict would be cool/thematic but probably too strong(though probably not too strong for a level 8 spell?).

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 21:15

johlstei wrote:Would one be able to walk through venom vines? Casting one behind you sounds strong+fun if you can. I like the idea of creating poisonous plants to help you. Giving them constrict would be cool/thematic but probably too strong(though probably not too strong for a level 8 spell?).

Think they should block you unless you worship Fedhas, but probably need to be balanced on HP so that enemies could chop their way thru to you eventually. Constrict is kind of already done by the tentacled monstrosities, so I think a knockback would be better, esp as a way to drag out fights and let poison effects do their damage. Or maybe applying the "held" condition like throwing nets?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 13th December 2013, 21:53

Held is much closer to what I was thinking, and I guess really what I meant by constrict.

Return to Game Design Discussion