Proposal: Scroll of curse item

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 18:53

Proposal: Scroll of curse item

Get Rid of the curse weapon, curse armor, and curse jewelry scrolls, and replace them with a single "curse item" scroll that uses mummy logic to curse one of your items.

For worshipers of Ashenzari, it becomes a targeted scroll allowing the reader to choose an item to be cursed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 19:29

Re: Proposal: Scroll of curse item

You left out the "why"

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 19:43

BlackSheep wrote:You left out the "why"

Anyone who has played ashenzari knows how frustrating it is piling up 10 curse weapons and having 0 curse jewellery.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 19:49

Ash doesn't need a buff.

dck

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 19:56

Moose wrote:Get Rid of the curse weapon, curse armor, and curse jewelry scrolls

yes.

For this message the author dck has received thanks:
duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:01

BlackSheep wrote:Ash doesn't need a buff.

This proposal is hardly what I would consider a buff. But I guess I can see what you are getting at. :?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:35

I'd be okay with this.
You hear the distant roaring of an enraged eggplant.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 21:02

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9498&p=130544#p130544 (I might get around to this at some point, haven't gotten around to bringing it up in -dev yet).

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 21:48

galehar wrote:I still think reducing the frequency of ?RC is a simple way to make curses relevant.

This is the most important post in the other thread.
I mean, even more now that both weapons and ramor Id on use : you end keeping your ?ID to wands/scrolls/pots/jewellery only, making them irrelevant too...

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 22:41

you end keeping your ?ID to wands/scrolls/pots/jewellery only, making them irrelevant too...

I'm not sure what you're getting at, because this has always been the correct use for identify, and they're far from irrelevant.

I still think reducing the frequency of ?RC is a simple way to make curses relevant.

This has nothing to do with curses being relevant or irrelevant, it's just to do with the fact that having 3 different curse scrolls is awkward and not interesting.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 08:40

I think what was meant is that having 3 different scrolls of cursing is not what matters : You usually have enough ?RC to be able to use-ID the cursing scrolls early in the game and simply ignore them afterwards. Even worse, as the ?RC is really common, the curses there are on item don't matter : you'll always have a ?RC to take care of it.
In most of my games, I can use-ID all the "interesting" items (so no robe/staff/blade if playing a mace fighter), and still have ?RC left in my stash. This, combined to the fact that ?ID is as common as ?RC, lead to having nearly always more than enough ?ID to identify all the jewellery I find, along with most of the wands/scrolls/pots. So the ID-ing minigame is moot.

Changing the 3 cursing scrolls to one won't change many thing, but dropping the rates of ?RC and ?ID may.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 09:29

Tiktacy wrote:Anyone who has played ashenzari knows how frustrating it is piling up 10 curse weapons and having 0 curse jewellery.

Sometimes it can be frustrating, but this is way more interesting than having a single curse item scroll. It gives you a resource to manage, choices to make and adapt your equipment strategy to the scrolls you have. I'd rather remove all curse scrolls and handle item cursing differently rather than replace them with a curse item scroll. Although I'm fine with the status quo and have no idea what MarvinPA is planning.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 12:28

galehar: Yes, absolutely. Since the curse scrolls are only really relevant for Ash's minigame (which I would like to keep intact very much), I just mentioned two ideas to MarvinPA:

1. Remove Curse Foo scrolls outright (all three of them). Ashenzarites need to make their curse scrolls by praying over Remove Curses. Problem: much less cursing opportunities. Solution: praying over Enchant Weapon produces Curse Weapon, praying over Enchant Armour produces Curse Armour. (Thematically, that makes a lot of sense. It does make it harder to curse jewellery, which could be seen as a good or bad thing.)

2. Conflate the three Curse Foo scrolls into a single Curse Item scroll. However, followers of Ashenzari have a more closer look, and for them, the Curse scrolls still come in three varieties.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 23:09

add to Dpeg option 2 :
curse scroll always random, but Ash follower can pray on it to fix a type (and then be able to select the item in the category)
XOR
ash follower using curse item scroll can select a category, and then it item from the category is randomly selected (even already cursed items?)

Return to Game Design Discussion