Proposal : warning when using blink scroll in -ctele

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 05:09

Proposal : warning when using blink scroll in -ctele

I know many of us have died because of momentarily forgetting we are in -ctrl area when reading a blink scroll, this would lessen the number of stupid deaths
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

For this message the author skyspire has received thanks: 2
Hurkyl, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 05:45

Re: Proposal : warning when using blink scroll in -ctele

I think the big red -Ctrl should be enough. one should not play crawl mindlessy, anyway.
and if we put warnings in everything that causes stupid deaths, soon we would get:
"are you sure you want to start a new game? Y/N"
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 05:50

Hirsch I wrote:I think the big red -Ctrl should be enough

Having the setting option to flag it on can't hurt. Just make sure you keep yours off, just in case.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 06:00

Fair enough.
sorry Skyspire, that was rather unkind of me. I hope that did not hurt your feelings.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 06:04

Proposal: remove -cTele

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks: 2
dck, duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 07:42

Proposal: remove ?blink

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 13:51

Hirsch I wrote:I think the big red -Ctrl should be enough. one should not play crawl mindlessy, anyway.
and if we put warnings in everything that causes stupid deaths, soon we would get:
"are you sure you want to start a new game? Y/N"

I see nothing wrong with that. I deleted a game in progress this way because I forgot to change character name before starting another character.
You don't spam blink any way. Even if you do, it could be an option in init.txt (maybe even disabled by default).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 13:54

Volteccer_Jack wrote:Proposal: remove -cTele

I think this would make game too easy. cBlink + Haste is already very strong. With Apportation + Necromutation you will not even care who is guarding the orb or rune.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 15:39

Sandman25 wrote:
Volteccer_Jack wrote:Proposal: remove -cTele

I think this would make game too easy. cBlink + Haste is already very strong. With Apportation + Necromutation you will not even care who is guarding the orb or rune.

I don't see any reason why a spell should arbitrarily be disabled/nerfed on certain levels, but not others. If it is really too strong it should be flatly nerfed, instead of the current situation, where it is apparently allowed to be "too strong" on every level in the game except Zot5 and extended game rune vaults. Can you imagine if Zot 5 had a status flag disabling some other spell, like -Tornado or -PhaseShift?? It would be insanity!

Besides all that, -cTele doesn't even stop you from abusing the Controlled Blink spell. What it actually does is make Passage of Golubria entirely unusable, and make scrolls of blinking useless. :roll:

The Orb of Zot's interference with translocations already does plenty to rein in that spell school, so it's not as if the level needs a different, redundant effect.

For this message the author Volteccer_Jack has received thanks: 2
crate, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 15:47

cBlink + Haste causes high contamination so you cannot use it on every floor even as undead/lich. But since rune/orb floor is the most dangerous one, it makes perfect sense to use the combination there and the game would be too easy.
For the record I don't use cBlink in ZoT5 after almost dying there once (it sent me down instead of to the left)

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 16:01

What does Haste have to do with anything? Controlled Blink accomplishes exactly the same thing by itself.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 16:11

Removing –cTele would be fine if control teleport and cblink were nerfed, but those two changes (remove -ctele, nerf effect of controlled translocations) would have to be implemented simultaneously I think.

Easy nerf is to simply make it take longer for controlled versions to kick in, so you get better precision but it takes a bit more time for the teleport to go off, which makes sense intuitively (not always a necessary quality for game design, but certainly a positive).

So spell and scroll cBlink would give delay to the blink. Control teleport (spell or ring or whatever) would make a teleport take longer to kick in. This would also have advantage that keeping cTele status on yourself would no longer always be 100% strictly a good thing—with this change you'd actually need to sometimes think about when and how you use it. Also you could have consistency between spell and scroll versions of blink.

Passage of Golubria should just be made to work normally everywhere, it already takes a good deal of thought to use it well and doesn't really require any further nerfs or drawbacks than how it currently operates.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th November 2013, 22:55

and into wrote:Control teleport (spell or ring or whatever) would make a teleport take longer to kick in. This would also have advantage that keeping cTele status on yourself would no longer always be 100% strictly a good thing—with this change you'd actually need to sometimes think about when and how you use it.
For teleporting (not blinking) this has already been in the game several months (since the changes to the cTele ring).
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
and into

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 01:16

reaver: Thanks for pointing that out!

On second thought, I think leaving Abyss as it currently is, removing -cTele, and adding a delay to controlled blink might be a change for the better. I don't think it is an extremely pressing issue.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 18:05

On the original subject - please, can we have this? I know that it tells you that theres -CTele; and that should be enough; but at the same time, you should obviously know not to move next to lava when confused, (you might die) or to unwield a vampiric weapon (extra hunger) and then all the sudden we're just playing nethack and everyone is sad.

But seriously: this is an interface improvement - it won't get in anyone's way except in the rare case you want to spend a controlled blink to get a random blink on a non-control-teleport level and the benefit it would give to people who want it is HUGE.

For this message the author indspenceable has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, tompliss

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th November 2013, 20:27

Unwielding a vampiric weapon doesn't give you extra hunger.

reg

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 15th November 2013, 00:01

It is not clear that a blink scroll is any different to Controlled Blink until you try to use one in -cTele, since you don't get a semi-controlled blink from a scroll, but you do from the spell.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 16th November 2013, 02:50

I think the blink scroll should be renamed to Scroll of Controlled Blink. And disable its use in -tele areas with a message like "you cannot do that here".. similar message to if you try to blink with Amulet of Stasis on.
Online Wins: DeCj (4), HeAe (10), DrAs (15), DDAr (11)

Return to Game Design Discussion