Starcursed mass and silence

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 27th October 2013, 13:28

Starcursed mass and silence

I am not 100% sure, but the first and only time I tried to silence a bunch of starcursed masses, it didn't seem to have any effect. In the dexription it clearly says the masses have a "shriek", so I think it should be silencable. Or is the silence applied partially - because it could have been that some masses weren't in the silence radius. Well, in any case, I think it didn't work at all.
If it is intended it should be made more clear that the shriek is something like a PSI power, not an actual audible shriek. The description is not clear in this case.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th October 2013, 14:47

Re: Starcursed mass and silence

The source shows that silence doesn't affect the abilities of Star Cursed Masses. It does prevent the ability from affecting creatures with too low intelligence, so it might be Psi attack, although I agree that something should be changed here.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th October 2013, 20:43

A deafening chorus of shrieks assaults your mind!

Emphasis mine.

The ways in which these eldritch horrors from out of space affect us puny mortals is almost impossible to describe; it is only by analogy that it's described as a shriek at all.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 27th October 2013, 21:48

The description also does mention that their attack is soundless. Possibly it could be made clearer that it's a telepathic attack but I can't think of any better wording off-hand. The message for when there's only one mass is "The starcursed mass shrieks in your mind." which seems pretty clear, and most of the others for n>1 say something similar about the effect being on your mind.

Return to Game Design Discussion