Jiyva

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 22:44

Jiyva

I love playing Jiyva. When I'm lucky enough to stumble upon his altar, that is. I understand Jiyva isn't really benefical to characters in the early game, but at the very least his I think his altar should be guaranteed to be outside of the slime pits for players (like me) who don't care and just want to get their slime on. There are certain races (mainly trolls and felids) that are fun as hell to play with Jiyva, and the whole "slimes slurping up all the loot" thing barely applies to them.

Jiyva is the only god in the game that you can't plan a character around, since he isn't guaranteed. Sure, he always has an altar at the bottom of slime, but by the time you can get down there without dying why even bother? You either have to spend most of the game godless, or deal with god wrath when you switch.

My current gameplan is to roll a healer (since Ely is one of the few gods who won't punish you for switching to Jiyva, and she trains invocations), and get thorugh Lair ASAP and pray there is a Jiyva altar in front of slime. It's kind of frustrating when there isn't one, since the whole reason I rolled the character was for Jiyva. At that point I just keep playing a healer until I die, or give up.

I understand that both a "Slime Knight" class and Jiyva in the temple are probably out of the question, so can we at least get a guaranteed altar in front of slime?

goo

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 25th March 2011, 22:56

Re: Jiyva

Another thing, Demonspawn Monks of Jiyva (especially monstrous ones) are incredibly fun to play, if the stars are aligned in your favor and you can actually get one off the ground. The problem is, they can't even do the whole "play as a healer to build invocations and carry you until you find a Jiyva altar" thing. Off the top of my head, there isn't a god they can worship that won't get pissed if you try to switch to Jiyva later. So for this build, you basically have to either stay godless for a long time (or deal with wrath).

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 06:53

jivya is interesting.

One thing i liked is being able to instantly kill any monster with slimify. Not sure if it works on everything though.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 26th March 2011, 08:30

I agree with this to be honest.

Crawl is supposed to be fun. This would make the game more fun. It's simple as that really.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 22:25

maybe instead of slime knight, make jiyvan an applicable god-choice at the beginning?
Craziest Hamster

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 22:38

Agree. When Jiyva first appeared in trunk, I played a troll FE with the intention of RP'ing a super mutant. As I'd found plenty of Jiyva altars on previous runs, I stayed agnostic (expecting to stumble into one ANY MINUTE NOW) and ended up finding the damn thing on D:27. Decided pretty soon afterwards that Jiyva wasn't for me; it would have been nice to get that heads up earlier.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 04:19

Jivya is by far the hardest god to worship, mainly because the alter is so much more rare than all the others.

I wouldn't mind a slime knight/worshipper/monk - One who wishes to become like that of his amorphous deity.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 12:11

Personally, I like that Jiyva is hard to worship.

Maybe some kind of compromise, with a guaranteed altar on Slime:1?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 13:46

Right now I'm running a KoBe that switched to Jiyva around turn 30k so that I could pump str and wear a CPM of RC that I found. It's interesting / fun.

I don't think I'll try for endgame content with this build though. Maybe if I kill the royal jelly and drop jiyva once I get the rune and fix my mutations / stats.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 30th March 2011, 21:56

You'll still have to deal with Jiyva penance before it ceases to exist if you kill the Royal Jelly and then abandon Jiyva.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Game Design Discussion