Curses

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 13:28

Re: Curses

I tend to try on anything that could possibly be better than what I already have; remove curse scrolls or no.

This means very often, particularly in the early game, I can be stuck with sub-par equipment for a while until I find a way to uncurse something. For me this adds some interesting tension to the game and eventually relief/reward when I find the scrolls I need.

So I'm probably a bad player for doing things this way but I prefer to use all my ?id on potions until I start having spares; still I will occasionally use an ?id on a weapon if I have a couple of choices and want to know the plusses.

Making curses more relevant would certainly make me consider using ?id on weapons more often. Perhaps we should think about always revealing the plusses as soon as you wield something, making the gamble of wield-iding more tempting.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 17:06

Sometimes I equip items that might be cursed early on. If they are cursed and it turns out I don't have remove curse, I just quit the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 18:21

crate wrote:Sometimes I equip items that might be cursed early on. If they are cursed and it turns out I don't have remove curse, I just quit the game.

Do you avoid spending real time on potentially dead characters this way?
The only time I quit a character because of curse was when my Tr didn't find remove curse during about 5 floors and I was really tired of killing everything with sling... I even trained some Sling skill before that :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th July 2013, 18:23

basically cursed items are more annoying than dying
because with cursed items it's like playing a DD ... you're not going to die unless you play badly, but you're going to hate every minute of your game

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 02:26

If only we were trying to figure out a way to improve curses and make them less annoying, more flavorful, and more interesting.

Also, I vote we make an on hit polymorph other weapon. Hilarity ensues.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 08:22

That has a perfect curse flavour, to me: It has the potential to be terrible AND the potential to be useful!

My only concern is whether it's gameable, in the sense of 'hit your enemy until it turns into something you can handle'. Making it have only a *chance* to polymorph other could address that.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 15:55

Polymorph other has been figured out to an extent. Generally speaking, you only use it on things that are a really bad threat, because there's always a chance it will turn into something worse (like a Boggart).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 13th July 2013, 19:17

Huh didn't realize chaos did that.

Ooh here's an idea- Vivify- Turns Zombies and Skeletons back into original forms.
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 14th July 2013, 00:48

Ashenzari <3
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion