Invisibility Quirks

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 19:20

Invisibility Quirks

1. If your autopickup turns off due to an invisible enemy it should turn back on again when that invisible enemy leaves your LOS. Yes, this can be considered and information leak, but it's such a minor one and there are tons of existing information leaks (for example, how exploration works around tides in the shoals) that it's really not an issue.

2. You shouldn't be able to explore after an invisible enemy hits you (or an orc or something goes invisible or whatever) until that enemy leaves your LOS. How many people have a dozen force_more_messages just so they don't accidentally try to explore when there's obviously an invisible enemy in LOS that they didn't notice because they're waist deep in spam messages?

I think most (if not all) invisibility issues are due to problems with the interface and not the invisible monster itself. Keep in mind there are only like 2 monsters who are really invisible while invisible since everything else follows predictable pathfinding.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 02:01

Re: Invisibility Quirks

I suppose that if it reminded you that your autopickup was turned off when you pressed 'o' it would solve the problem?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 06:44

I believe "force_more_message+=^It hits you" should be present by default.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 10:41

Well, the period that autopickup gets deactivated could be timed.
After an enemy goes invisible, you get hit by an invisible enemy or get any cue that there is something invisible around, autopick gets deactivated for a number of turns.
If the trigger activates again the counter restarts.

This way there is no information leak, you only know that there has been a number of turns since you faced an invisible enemy.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 10:58

It honestly shouldn't go off in the first place though. Rather the game should just act like there's a visible monster around after you're hit until that monster leaves LOS.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 11:45

Well, this thread is a great excuse for an issue I had. I had an unseen horror and a sack of spiders. I tried to use the webs from that like a scroll of fog, but apparently the "thrashing against the web" does not leak the monster's location like fog does. I would think it would, because your character would see the web moving around. Also possibly, being stuck in the web could act like sense invisible for the friendly spiders, as it works similar to that in Spider's Lair.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 11:51

Tiber wrote:Well, this thread is a great excuse for an issue I had. I had an unseen horror and a sack of spiders. I tried to use the webs from that like a scroll of fog, but apparently the "thrashing against the web" does not leak the monster's location like fog does. I would think it would, because your character would see the web moving around. Also possibly, being stuck in the web could act like sense invisible for the friendly spiders, as it works similar to that in Spider's Lair.

Sounds like a... bug!

(Joking aside, it sounds like it should work that way and I'd file on mantis.)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Game Design Discussion